Post by JRayfield » Sat Nov 18, 2017 1:43 am

I'm setting up a site for a friend. I'm using Joomla with OpenCart, using the JooCart installation.

Everything looks pretty good, so far, except for the fact that if a person registers on the site (Joomla Registration), it only asks for a Username, not their First and Last names. But, OpenCart requires the First and Last name for a Customer.

This doesn't appear to be a problem, except if I want to edit the Customer's record in OpenCart, after they registered through Joomla and made a purchase in OpenCart. At that point, it requires a First and Last name, which isn't there since they weren't required to enter this when they registered in Joomla.

What's the solution for this problem? It looks like trying to use OpenCart, interfaced with Joomla, may not be the best way for me to set up this new site. Maybe the integration isn't quite as good as it needs to be? Or am I overlooking something in the configuration for OpenCart here.

John Rayfield, Jr.

Post by Johnathan » Sat Nov 18, 2017 2:34 am

This isn't specific to your inquiry, but is my general response to Joomla integrations:

If the main purpose of your site is ecommerce, it's generally recommended NOT to use a Joomla integration, and to use a standard OpenCart installation as the base of your site. The reason is that Joomla integrations often have issues when you install extensions or need to make updates, and you then have to keep two pieces of complex software updated independently, which can also cause problems if you update. You may think it will be easier to set it up this way at this point, but sometime down the road you will likely have headaches.

I recommend using OpenCart and NOT integrating it with another CMS, but trying to get OpenCart to work the way you want. OpenCart has lots of extensions that can do the same things as other CMS pieces of software, so I usually recommend trying to find extensions that will do what you need (or think outside the box about other ways to accomplish what you're trying to do). You'll usually be better off in the long-run if you can accomplish what you need using a single piece of software, rather than two separate pieces trying to coordinate together.

Image Image Image Image Image

Administrator

Post by JRayfield » Sat Nov 18, 2017 4:17 am

Thanks Johnathan. I appreciate your thoughts. After seeing this problem that I've come across, I'm really nervous about what else that I may run into at a later time.

John