Post by winniliss » Sat Nov 04, 2017 2:57 am

Our website www.craftydivas.com.au is managed using Opencart ver 1.5.6. Do I need to upgrade considering Opencart is up to ver 3. I did enquire with the company that maintains our website and they advised us it would cost between $5000 - $6000 which I find extreme considering the software is free.
After other peoples thoughts please. I have read that other people have suggested to upgrade to ver 2 until ver 3 has been out a bit and any bugs fixed.

Cheers
Winston.

Opencart 3

Post by IP_CAM » Sun Nov 05, 2017 2:57 am

Better read here about this first:
viewtopic.php?f=141&t=199114&p=700907#p700907
But better don't come back, and ask any questions about it, because arguing about it does
not change the fact, that the official OC UPGRADE INFO is not more than a highly dangerous
misleading piece of crab. :choke: (I hope that I will survive this unfiltered statement here ..)
You should only make sure, to use at least v.1.5.6.4 , or even 1.5.6.5_rc, because this one
had some 1.5.6.4-misses fixed, to make it to still be the so far most secure OC anyway. :D
OpenCart 1.5.6.5_rc change log
https://github.com/opencart/opencart/bl ... angelog.md
OpenCart 1.5.6.5_rc Download
https://github.com/opencart/opencart/tr ... 306fb75707

Good Luck!
Ernie

My Github OC Site: https://github.com/IP-CAM
5'200 + FREE OC Extensions, on the World's largest private Github OC Repository Archive Site.

Legendary Member

Location - Switzerland

Post by winniliss » Sun Nov 05, 2017 7:22 am

Hello Ernie and thanks for the reply.
I maybe a little novice where this is concerned (I know how to build computers etc) and have done very little with Opencart because we use a company to manage our website. Could I use OpenCart Migration & Upgrade Tool extension? I have downloaded it but don't know how to upload. I want to get more involved in managing our own website.
I have read to create a sub domain and add another store (copy of what you want to upgrade) to test the upgrade but it mentions using Cpanel and phpMyAdmin. Is there video tutorials etc to assist?
Cheers
Winston.

Opencart 3

Post by IP_CAM » Sun Nov 05, 2017 1:44 pm

Well, I told you not to ask anything more about this, just do, whatever you like! :D
Still, if you really have no idea about 'handling' a Server, no-one around here
will tell you, in extended form, because time is money, for everybody involved,
especially on a strictly commercial Project like OpenCart ! ;)

BUT the Web is already full of information, when it comes to OC, just check
Google, to find out.

It's a TECH-Place here, and Newbies come, and most go again, after finding
out, that this OC-Thing is not just another Smartphone-APP, but a codewise
heavy Framework Construction Software, just about comparable with an older
Version WIndows, when it comes to the amount of Code in Charge, to make it work.

But I would not watch Movies, you are not gonna learn much this way. You have
to get some Basics first, on Servers, Server Tools, PHP, Stylesheets, JScripts,
MySqli Databases, and then on Opencart, otherways, you will probably only waste
your costly time.
Good Luck ! ;)
Ernie

5'200 + FREE OC Extensions, on the World's largest private Github OC Repository Archive Site.

Legendary Member

Location - Switzerland

Post by winniliss » Sun Nov 05, 2017 1:58 pm

Thats what I thought. I am looking at using a local web hosting company and see how I go.

Opencart 3

Post by MrPhil » Sun Nov 05, 2017 11:16 pm

You seem to have caught Ernie with a burr under his saddle. Normally he's more helpful than that...
  • You should probably avoid OC 3 for the time being, until it's settled down a bit and the bug rate is under control. OC 1.5 is still supported -- are there features in OC 2 or 3 that you need? While you want to be careful not to fall far behind releases and end up with a totally unsupported system, as long as 1.5 is being supported (and even developed), it might be satisfactory to stay there. Don't upgrade/migrate just for boasting rights.
  • You should use professional hosting for your site. Trying to host your own on a web-connected PC is an engraved invitation to hackers to eat you for breakfast. Just the time savings alone for you will cover the cost of a basic hosting plan. Once you get really big :) you can think of self-managed systems.
  • What exactly is your software professional proposing to do for $6k? That does seem awfully steep for a simple migration, although depending on their competence and the value of your time, it might be worth it.
  • Don't expect your local hosting company to be competent at working with OC. They should be experts at hosting and system support software, not application software. Do expect to pay a pretty penny for having them do any application work (such as installing, customizing, or maintaining OC).

Post by IP_CAM » Mon Nov 06, 2017 2:29 am

Normally he's more helpful than that...

Well, I try hard, but under the conditions, as they exist, it's a rather frustrating Experience,
to be confronted with the same matters again and again, and nobody in charge gives a
damn about it. But I still need knowledge and inspiration myself, and this made me stay, and
sharing my Wisdom on what I found out so far, regardless of, if I like it (or be liked... ) or not... ::)

But one should never ignore facts, if one is not Mechanic, one should not try to repair engines,
and if one has no Knowledge on Web-Technologies, one should not try to work on such things,
and/or even expect, to build a Business on a Software, then hopefully to be supported by free
User Forum Wisdom and Help. That's a Dream, but not Reality.
Ernie

Legendary Member

Location - Switzerland