Post by oroszlany.zsolt » Mon Oct 23, 2017 3:15 pm

Hello. As of today I have experienced on my web shop login issues and customers reported also that they could not login. The same issue is observable in both front-end and back-end. The symptoms are: user enters login credentials and got redirected back to login page without error message, also tried if you enter wrong user credential I got proper error message.
I wrote a ticket yesterday to my hosting provider and asked to investigate the situation but I haven't received response from their side.
To solve the problem I found out that when I started removing old cached image files the login process started working again flawlessly. Today morning the same again, could not login, removed some cached images and I could log in as usual.
Does anybody encountered something like this before? I went through the PHP error log and found lot of SessionHandler::write(): write failed: Disk quota exceeded (122) error message. How it is possible that the file save handler is used in OpenCart and not the db session save handler? Anyway the storage problem is kinda strange because I have unlimited disk space.

OpenCart version: 2.3.0.2
Apache version: 2.4
PHP version: 5.6
MariaDB version: 10.1

Post by ADD Creative » Mon Oct 23, 2017 7:28 pm

By default OpenCart 2.3.0.2 uses native PHP sessions, which will be using files to store the session data. You need to contact you host to get them to sort your quota or storage.

One thing to check is that in you php.ini files in the root and admin do not have session.gc_maxlifetime set to a large value like 12000000. If it is change to to something smaller like 3600 (1 hour) or 172800 (48 hours).

There is no such thing as unlimited disk space, there will always be some limits.

www.add-creative.co.uk

Expert Member

Location - United Kingdom

Post by oroszlany.zsolt » Mon Oct 23, 2017 8:30 pm

Thank you ADD Creative. You were right we had a php.ini file separate in the admin folder where session.gc_maxlifetime = 12000000 was I changed to recommended session.gc_maxlifetime = 3600. I also received response from hosting provider mentioning something we used too much resources and therefore we've been limited; this might be the root cause of this error. I also know that we have a lot of product picture which is converted to smaller format when viewed/browsed during this time the website hangs which might cause high server load. Could you recommend a better approach handling many GB of product images approximately 3GB+.

Post by ADD Creative » Mon Oct 23, 2017 10:16 pm

If it was just the admin php.ini it probably wasn't having much effect. It looks like the problem is down to the number of images. Can you cut down on the number of images or sizes at all? What about the number is sizes could you change your theme to not use and therefore generate so many different sizes?

You may find that you just need to change your hosting. I personally avoid anything that says unlimited space of data. Best to calculate how much you actually need and plan for future expansion, then get the appropriate hosting.

www.add-creative.co.uk

Expert Member

Location - United Kingdom

Post by oroszlany.zsolt » Wed Oct 25, 2017 2:40 am

You are right in everything you wrote. Last night I had a little bit of time and removed old, unused product images. I am kinda tired now it was a really long day so please forgive me if I write some gibberish. Yes my web hosting provider proved to untruthfully when they wrote that the web shop haven't exceeded total file size limit, as you said I am pretty sure that there is some so said hard coded limit which they do not feel to share with me. This must be the truth because removing old files allowed the web shop operate properly. Also I am thinking and scared that how much loss this might cause! Because this event rendered the web shop unusable, visitors could not purchase products. I should do what you suggested and change hosting provider. Thank you again ADD Creative for your kindness I really appreciate you help in this.