Post by Purebeads » Thu Jul 13, 2017 8:16 pm

I've never used the meta tag fields because my site seemed to rank highly right from the beginning, but that has changed, and I want to use them now. However, I'm not sure what goes into each field. The manual says this:

Meta Tag Description: A summary to describe the product page to search engines.
Meta Tag Keywords: Similar to meta tag description, but asks for a single keyword to describe the product.

For the Meta Tag Description, I sell glass beads for making costume jewelry. Can anyone suggest what a good description would be? "glass beads for sale" -- is that all I need?

For Meta Tag Keywords, it says "single keyword" -- does that mean that I can only put in one keyword, or that each keyword should be a single word?

Incidentally, Google seems to have changed lately. In the past, I would search for a term related to my business and 50 pages would come up. Now I'll search for a term, and ten to fifteen pages will come up -- and my site won't be on any of them. I can't figure out what's changed in the last two years.

Post by EvolveWebHosting » Thu Jul 13, 2017 9:27 pm

Purebeads wrote:
Thu Jul 13, 2017 8:16 pm
I've never used the meta tag fields because my site seemed to rank highly right from the beginning, but that has changed, and I want to use them now. However, I'm not sure what goes into each field. The manual says this:

Meta Tag Description: A summary to describe the product page to search engines.
Meta Tag Keywords: Similar to meta tag description, but asks for a single keyword to describe the product.

For the Meta Tag Description, I sell glass beads for making costume jewelry. Can anyone suggest what a good description would be? "glass beads for sale" -- is that all I need?

For Meta Tag Keywords, it says "single keyword" -- does that mean that I can only put in one keyword, or that each keyword should be a single word?

Incidentally, Google seems to have changed lately. In the past, I would search for a term related to my business and 50 pages would come up. Now I'll search for a term, and ten to fifteen pages will come up -- and my site won't be on any of them. I can't figure out what's changed in the last two years.
Google changes almost on a monthly basis and they do not look at keywords at all since they have been heavily spammed over the years. For the Meta Description, search around moz.com to see the recommended length and make sure to keep each description unique.

Opencart Hosting Plans, Domain Registration, Microsoft and Google Email and More
Visit our website for great deals and most importantly, fast and friendly support - www.evolvewebhost.com

Location - Denver, Colorado, USA

Post by uksitebuilder » Thu Jul 13, 2017 11:04 pm

In addition, Add a good call to action in your Meta description - You want to grab the attention of the person searching and make them click your Link.

Guru Member

Location - United Kindgom

Post by Purebeads » Fri Jul 14, 2017 1:14 am

I appreciate the replies, but I still don't know what information is supposed to go into those two fields.

Let's say I'm selling a 10mm pink faceted bead made in the Czech Republic. What is the best info to put into those two fields:

Meta Tag Description
Meta Tag Keywords

How about if I put the complete description of the beads in the "Description" field, and then a few keywords in the "Keywords" field, like this:

Meta Tag Description: 10mm Pink Faceted Beads from Czech Republic
Meta Tag Keywords: beads, faceted, pink, 10mm

Is that how I'm supposed to use the fields? If I do that, then I'm essentially repeating the information. How does Google use this information? Will the Description appear in search engines?

The Moz site, by the way, doesn't say not to use keywords.

Post by uksitebuilder » Fri Jul 14, 2017 3:50 am

Is mentioning the Czech Republic an important factor for beads ?

Do you offer any incentives in your store such as free shipping ?

META Tag Description:

Looking for 10mm Pink Faceted Beads from the Czech Republic? We have them in stock ready for delivery now and delivery is free when you spend $x.xx. Ideal for crafting, dress making and jewellery designs.

META Tag Keywords: none - they are of no consequence in the major search engines since around 1994

See the following helpful resource (note Myth #5 regarding META Descriptions)

https://goo.gl/Qy165H

Guru Member

Post by Purebeads » Fri Jul 14, 2017 10:34 am

Thank you for your response. But I do have one question: Where will people see the Meta Tag Description? In search engines when they do searches?

Yes, Czech beads have a good reputation. The Czech Republic used to be the largest manufacturer of glass beads, but China is starting to eclipse them.

Post by uksitebuilder » Fri Jul 14, 2017 1:25 pm

The META Description is shown beneath the Page Title in the search engine results when a user searches.

Guru Member

Post by Purebeads » Fri Jul 14, 2017 7:09 pm

Now I understand everything. Thank you so much. However, with my site no longer showing up in Google, I'm not sure that will be helpful.

Within half a year of establishing my site in late 2002, it was showing up in searches. The last time I checked in 2015, it was still showing up in searches. Now, nothing. It seems to me that Google has figured out a way to determine which sites get the most traffic, and those sites rank highly in searches. My sales started to slip in 2012 for reasons unrelated to Google (a general depression in the industry). That slip has been accelerating, and my business is in a death spiral. As my visits drop, my ranking in searches drop. Google is playing God by constantly tweaking its search methods. Google shouldn't be able to make or break a business.

I am going to add meta keywords too just in case they start using them again. In the case of keywords, they must all be single words, right?

Thanks.

Post by uksitebuilder » Fri Jul 14, 2017 7:17 pm

They can be single words or short phrases (long-tail keywords).

Guru Member