Post by DavetheCat » Mon Mar 13, 2017 8:37 pm

Hello!
I hope someone can advise please... We are currently using OC version 2.1.0.1 and having an issue with orders not logging in the backend.

We have used basic CloudFlare CDN for a little while, but on 3rd March we enabled their "Web Application Firewall" (WAF). Since that date, shop orders are not being logged in the OC back end. At present the only way we know that an order has been made is via details on payment notification emails from Paypal. Orders are not showing in the OC admin area, or in the customer's order history, and stock levels aren't updated.

At first I tried putting a Page Rule in CloudFlare to exclude the 'admin' part of our shop from the WAF, but that didn't solve this issue. I then updated that page rule for the entire shop to bypass the WAF (the shop is only a small - although important - part of our site), but that also has not solved this.

I can't understand why, given that the whole of our shop is bypassing the WAF, that we should still have this issue. I'm only assuming this issue is to do with the CloudFlare WAF purely because it was OK prior to this - but it could be co-incidence I guess!

Any clues / advice would be much appreciated!

Post by DavetheCat » Mon Mar 13, 2017 9:01 pm

Just an extra note to my query, in cast this is relevant. I have also just started getting emails from Paypal as follows:
Please check your server that handles PayPal Instant Payment Notifications (IPN). Instant Payment Notifications sent to the following URL(s) are failing: https://www.mysite.com/shop/index.php?r ... 2Fcallback

If you do not recognize this URL, you may be using a service provider that is using IPN on your behalf. Please contact your service provider with the above information. If this problem continues, IPNs may be disabled for your account.

This may or may not be related to shop orders not logging in the back end, I don't know, but we have only started getting these emails in the last couple of days. We are still getting Paypal notifications of orders on our shop - at the moment Paypal is the only way we know an order has been placed. Would like to get orders logging in back end again, so any advice really appreciated!

Post by JNeuhoff » Tue Mar 14, 2017 3:39 am

Any reason you enabled the WAF in the first place? Have you checked your server's access.log to see whether it actually received IPN requests?

BTW.: IMHO using Cloudflare is not worth the trouble. I have seen to many cases where it actually slows down access to websites because Cloudflares CDN is poorly managed.

Export/Import Tool * SpamBot Buster * Unused Images Manager * Instant Option Price Calculator * Number Option * Google Tag Manager * Survey Plus * OpenTwig

Guru Member

Post by DavetheCat » Tue Mar 14, 2017 8:30 pm

Hi Jnewhoff,
Thanks for your help. Yes, the IPN requests are reaching the server OK.

Also, I 'paused' CloudFlare this morning to do another test with CF out of the equasion and we still have the same issue, so it's not to do with CloudFlare.

It appears to be failing at the point where Paypal would send the Order information back to the OC shop once the customer has paid (via the 'IPN Listener'). I have just spoken to Paypal support, and they have advised me to check the URL address of the "IPN Listener" for Opencart. They are suggesting at the moment that maybe Opencart have changed the IPN listener address, or that it's not working properly, and so when Paypal are trying to connect with it to convey the order information, it's failing.

We haven't changed anything in OC ourselves. How can I find out what the "IPN Listener" URL should be, so that I can update it in our Paypal account?

(BTW we started using CF because of increasing SQL injection attempts - not to do with OC I might add!)

Thanks for any advice on the above!!

Post by JNeuhoff » Tue Mar 14, 2017 10:27 pm

You shouldn't have to configure an IPN Listener address in your Paypal account. OpenCart sends Paypal the OpenCrt URL address for IPNs each time a payment is submitted.

Export/Import Tool * SpamBot Buster * Unused Images Manager * Instant Option Price Calculator * Number Option * Google Tag Manager * Survey Plus * OpenTwig

Guru Member

Post by DavetheCat » Tue Mar 14, 2017 10:47 pm

Hi Jneuhoff,
Thank you for this info - I learn a little more each time.

OK so I have now found out from our server host that having looked at the logs for my test order earlier, they can't see a communication coming back from Paypal after the payment (sorry, I got that wrong in my previous post, as I misunderstood their earlier message to me). So they found my order being made in the logs and said:
"This would be the incoming request from you to the server. I can't see anything in logs that stands out as paypal coming back to the server so I suspect this is something you would need to raise with OpenCart"

So, now I don't know whether to go back to Paypal support now, or if it's something OpenCart can advise on. Or is there something I can do in my Paypal settings? (I haven't changed those, so I don't know why anything would have gone wrong there, though?).

I emailed Paypal help yesterday and they sent an automatic reply back, with instructions on various things, including how to manage my Instant Payment Notification settings - so I know where to go for those, but not what to put. Where it says in the Instant Payment Notifications setting to: "enter the URL to which you would like to receive HTML posts" I wouldn't know what to put in there.

In the email it also says "PayPal sends payment notification posts with encrypted code to this URL for each payment you receive. When a customer makes a payment to you, PayPal posts a notification to your server at a URL you specify." - but it sounds like that might not be happening. I'm confused now as to whether I need advice from Paypal or Opencart - sorry!!!!!!

Any further advice much appreciated!!!

Post by DavetheCat » Tue Mar 14, 2017 11:15 pm

Hello again JNeuhoff ,
I have just discovered that the orders not appearing in the shop backend are there - but they are in the "Missing Orders" section (using the filter for Order Status). If I 'view' these orders it shows the "order status" as 'cancelled'. We have had the Paypal payments for these, so the orders are not actually cancelled. Any idea what's going on here and what I should do? All new orders are automatically going in as a Missing Order with the status of 'cancelled' (even though we have got the payment from Paypal).
Any further advice much appreciated!!

Post by DavetheCat » Wed Mar 15, 2017 1:34 am

Hi again,
After further inspection of our server logs it does look like Paypal's IPN requests are not getting to us. This would explain (I think) why orders are going into "Missing Orders" and status 'cancelled' as the OC shop is seeing them as not yet being paid for, is that right?

I have ticketed Paypal support now with all the details, hoping they can check into that. I will post back with any resolution to this issue.
Thanks for your help so far - and for any further advice.
Cheers!

Post by DavetheCat » Thu Mar 16, 2017 6:39 pm

Hello,
Just to resolve this ticket - our issue is now sorted - here's what was happening, in case anyone else has this issue:
The reason the Paypal IPN requests were not reaching our server (and therefore not reaching our shop) was due to a rule on our IP Firewall with CloudFlare to challenge USA-based IP addresses. However, what we didn't know is that Paypal's IPN requests come via US-based servers, so hence their request couldn't pass the challenge. So removing that rule has resolved our issue.

Thanks JNeuhoff for your help with this - your advice led us to looking at the IPN requests in the first place - so much appreciated!

Cheers!

Guru Member