Post by KatGirl » Mon Aug 29, 2016 8:15 am

I've done multiple google searches and I've read OC's documentation but I cannot find any information that explicitly states what php version is required to run OC2.3. Yes, I've read a minimum requirement php 5.3+ but that isn't quite correct.

I have php 5.3 on my server now which supports OC1.5.3.1 and 1.5.6.4 without issues. I tried to install OC2.3 as a development site and got an error during install saying 'unable to install. The php version you're running isn't compatible with...." or something to that effect.

Therefore, I'm asking the gurus to please tell me what is the minimum php version I need to actually run multiple OC versions from the one server:

OC1.5.3.1 = no way I'm upgrading that baby. (currently uses php 5.3)
OC1.5.6.4 = works without issue. (currently uses php 5.3)
OC.2.3X = (what php version?)

I did attempt to upgrade the php version from 5.3 to 5.6 and drew multiple errors on the OC1.5.3.1 site, so no go there.

Thanks!

Post by fido-x » Mon Aug 29, 2016 10:45 am

OpenCart 2.3 requires PHP 5.4 or later.

Modules for OpenCart 2.3.0.2
Homepage Module [Free - since OpenCart 0.7.7]
Multistore Extensions
Store Manager Multi-Vendor/Multi-Store management tool

If you're not living on the edge ... you're taking up too much space!

Expert Member

Location - Tasmania, Australia

Post by KatGirl » Mon Aug 29, 2016 12:04 pm

@ fido-x Just as I suspected, minimum 5.3 from the docs is incorrect.

Thanks for clarifying.

Post by OSWorX » Tue Aug 30, 2016 3:24 am

And if available, use php 7.x
Running already several instances of 2.2.x and 2.3.x and is finally quite faster than lower versions.
And had until now no problems with it.

Full Stack Web Developer :: Dedicated OpenCart Development & Support DACH Region
Contact for Custom Work / Fast Support.

Guru Member

Location - Austria

Post by KatGirl » Tue Aug 30, 2016 11:42 am

@OSWorX - a faster working OC is always a good thing ;) I hadn't really considered using PHP7 but I will now. I've got brand new hosting so I can set whatever version I want.

Thanks for the input.

Post by zaidladha » Thu Jun 01, 2017 8:51 am

Sorry to revive old thread, but maybe better than a new one?

What version of apache? my hosting service says if they install php7 then I need apache 2.4 instead of 2.2, is this correct?
Will that cause any problems for a version of 1.5.6.4 running on the server if I need to resort to my backup of my old version?

Post by IP_CAM » Thu Jun 01, 2017 10:20 am

Will that cause any problems for a version of 1.5.6.4

Regarding PHP-7 and MySqli only!
This depends on, if you by chance use the MySql-Buddy DB Admin Tool or
the eXtplorer Text/Code-Editor - beeing part of the OpenShop Admin Extension up to v.1.71,
they have to be upgraded, to make 'em work with PHP 7.x again.

Also, the DEFAULT OC v.1.5.6.4 (and earlier) Installation Routine(s) cannot longer 'handle' their
own DB-Selector anymore, when installed under PHP-7, if one tries to make a clean new Installation.

Other than that, mikkythemouse's filemanager1.5 Fileeditor was the only extension, no longer
beeing of service, after moving up. I never checked, if PHP-7 or MySqli cannot be handled by this Mod.
That's all I found so far.
Good Luck! ;)
Ernie
---

My Github OC Site: https://github.com/IP-CAM
5'200 + FREE OC Extensions, on the World's largest private Github OC Repository Archive Site.

Legendary Member

Location - Switzerland

Post by EvolveWebHosting » Fri Jun 02, 2017 12:59 am

OSWorX wrote:
Tue Aug 30, 2016 3:24 am
And if available, use php 7.x
Running already several instances of 2.2.x and 2.3.x and is finally quite faster than lower versions.
And had until now no problems with it.
I have not tried v2.3.x without any extensions or custom theme but it did not work properly when I tried a 2.3.x version using different extensions and a custom theme.

Opencart Hosting Plans, Domain Registration, Microsoft and Google Email and More
Visit our website for great deals and most importantly, fast and friendly support - www.evolvewebhost.com

Location - Denver, Colorado, USA

Post by Parmodya » Fri Oct 12, 2018 11:29 pm

I am using php 7.1 on v2.3.02 and it is working well. You can check it in the link in signature.
You can change it in multiphp setting in cpanal.
Last edited by Parmodya on Sun Oct 21, 2018 5:51 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Opencart performance optimizations
homepage https://www.fmform.com
Help page https://help.fmform.com

Post by EvolveWebHosting » Sat Oct 13, 2018 5:12 am

With MultiPHPManager in cPanel (presuming your host has this available to you), you can easily check your site using different PHP versions. If you have the knowledge or you can pay a developer, I'd strongly suggest making sure your site can run the latest version of PHP. It's faster and more secure and IMO, you're only falling further behind if you continue using PHP 5.x. Support for PHP 5.6.4 ends at the end of 2018. Support for PHP 7.0 ends sooner: 3 December 2018

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PHP

Opencart Hosting Plans, Domain Registration, Microsoft and Google Email and More
Visit our website for great deals and most importantly, fast and friendly support - www.evolvewebhost.com

Location - Denver, Colorado, USA