Post by timeshell » Fri Aug 12, 2016 2:58 am

I think the title is self explanatory. Meaning the entire section is missing from the menu in Admin.
Last edited by timeshell on Fri Aug 12, 2016 2:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post by EvolveWebHosting » Fri Aug 12, 2016 9:19 am

timeshell wrote:I think the title is self explanatory. Meaning the entire section is missing in Admin.
Are all of the files uploaded and not corrupted? You can also try refreshing the system cache.
Last edited by EvolveWebHosting on Sun Aug 14, 2016 9:11 am, edited 1 time in total.

Opencart Hosting Plans, Domain Registration, Microsoft and Google Email and More
Visit our website for great deals and most importantly, fast and friendly support - www.evolvewebhost.com

Location - Denver, Colorado, USA

Post by timeshell » Fri Aug 12, 2016 12:07 pm

The system folder doesn't have a cache at present. I don't know about corruption...how to check that?

Post by Johnathan » Fri Aug 12, 2016 11:05 pm

Modules are now all found in Extensions > Extensions. You can change the type of extensions you see by using the dropdown selector at the top of that page.

Image Image Image Image Image

Administrator

Post by EvolveWebHosting » Fri Aug 12, 2016 11:09 pm

Johnathan wrote:Modules are now all found in Extensions > Extensions. You can change the type of extensions you see by using the dropdown selector at the top of that page.
Good point. I forgot about this change.

Opencart Hosting Plans, Domain Registration, Microsoft and Google Email and More
Visit our website for great deals and most importantly, fast and friendly support - www.evolvewebhost.com

Location - Denver, Colorado, USA

Post by timeshell » Sat Aug 13, 2016 9:23 pm

Ok, now we're getting somewhere. Now I found these module I was looking for. But when I go to edit it, it now says permission denied. Also, most of the modules are now duplicated.

Post by Johnathan » Sat Aug 13, 2016 11:58 pm

If you have extensions installed, you'll need to sort those out from the directory paths below, if you want to keep them installed. Otherwise, you'll just need to remove the old built-in extensions:

/admin/controller/feed/
/admin/controller/module/
/admin/controller/shipping/
/admin/controller/total/
etc.

That will solve the issue with duplicates appearing. You should then be able to tell which is the 2.3 version of the built-in extension.

However, if you're trying to use a 2.2-compatible Module extension in 2.3 (one not built-in), it's not going to work properly. To fix the permissions error, you can manually enable permissions in the Users > User Groups, but it may still not work properly on the front-end.

If you want to use 2.2 extensions on 2.3, I do have an OpenCart 2.3 Extension Compatibility Fix. Feel free to take a look at the screenshots and demo site, and if you're interested let me know at www.getclearthinking.com/contact if you have any further questions.

(Note: I'll also be updating the Compatibility Fix to fix the Extension menu in 2.3, as well, so it displays the various sub-areas like old versions.)

Administrator

Post by Johnathan » Sun Aug 14, 2016 1:55 am

The update is now done. The OpenCart 2.3 Extension Compatibility Fix now addresses these issues as well:

• Fixes the missing the extension links in the left-hand Extensions menu.

• Hides duplicate extension names if old extensions still exist.

• Properly sorts extensions by name rather than code.

• Fixes breadcrumb links and Back buttons for older extensions, so they work properly.

Administrator

Post by timeshell » Mon Aug 15, 2016 12:26 pm

Johnathan wrote:If you have extensions installed, you'll need to sort those out from the directory paths below, if you want to keep them installed. Otherwise, you'll just need to remove the old built-in extensions:

/admin/controller/feed/
/admin/controller/module/
/admin/controller/shipping/
/admin/controller/total/
etc.

That will solve the issue with duplicates appearing. You should then be able to tell which is the 2.3 version of the built-in extension.
Can you please elaborate "sort out"? And why didn't the upgrade process sort this out?

Post by Johnathan » Mon Aug 15, 2016 11:50 pm

The upgrade process doesn't do it because it's never been very good in OpenCart. Qphoria works on making the database upgrade process works well, but 2.3 is unique because it moved all the extension into their own sub-folder. So the upgrade code would need to be updated specifically for that, to remove all the old files -- which didn't happen, because the upgrade code doesn't tend to be a focus when Daniel releases a new OpenCart version.

Removing all the old files would also be dangerous, since if someone had custom modifications in those files, they would all be lost when deleted. What *should* be done is to ignore duplicates (like my compatibility fix does). I doubt something like that is going to make it into 2.3.0.3, but maybe 2.4, if the OpenCart team thinks about it.

In terms of "sort out", what you'll need to do is leave any non-standard extension files you've installed in their relevant folders (if you want to continue using them, though it's unlikely they'll work properly without my compatibility fix). Then you'd remove all the built-in files (e.g. for shipping, free.php, flat.php, etc.) from the folders I specified. If you *don't* want to use your old extensions, you can completely delete the folders I mentioned, or rename them to something else, so they aren't loaded by the system.

Administrator

Post by timeshell » Wed Aug 17, 2016 12:12 am

Johnathan wrote:The upgrade process doesn't do it because it's never been very good in OpenCart. Qphoria works on making the database upgrade process works well, but 2.3 is unique because it moved all the extension into their own sub-folder. So the upgrade code would need to be updated specifically for that, to remove all the old files -- which didn't happen, because the upgrade code doesn't tend to be a focus when Daniel releases a new OpenCart version.

Removing all the old files would also be dangerous, since if someone had custom modifications in those files, they would all be lost when deleted. What *should* be done is to ignore duplicates (like my compatibility fix does). I doubt something like that is going to make it into 2.3.0.3, but maybe 2.4, if the OpenCart team thinks about it.

In terms of "sort out", what you'll need to do is leave any non-standard extension files you've installed in their relevant folders (if you want to continue using them, though it's unlikely they'll work properly without my compatibility fix). Then you'd remove all the built-in files (e.g. for shipping, free.php, flat.php, etc.) from the folders I specified. If you *don't* want to use your old extensions, you can completely delete the folders I mentioned, or rename them to something else, so they aren't loaded by the system.

Your explanation, which would do well for someone familiar with Opencart, doesn't so much for a newb like me. I have installed three extensions to date, one for SkypeChat and one for Canada Post shipping and one for news/blog. The News/Blog one was installed after 2.3 upgrade and was compatible with 2.3. The other 2 were 2.2 versions and installed before the upgrade. The Canada Post module appears to be still working although when I try to edit it I get permission denied. The SkypeChat doesn't work.

Post by DavidL » Mon May 15, 2017 12:08 pm

Johnathan, Your tips were just enough for me to figure out why I had duplicate extensions in the Admin configuration menus.
Here is the folder hierarchy that seems to work:
admin/controller/extension/<<extension folders each with their php file in them>>
I also noted:
admin/controller/extension/extension/<<extension_names.php>>
This folder is required for any extensions to appear in the configuration menus.

The old folders (that I deleted) were in:
admin/controller/<<extension folders each with their php file in them>>

Thanx for the tip!

Post by Johnathan » Mon May 15, 2017 10:37 pm

Glad to have helped. :)

Administrator