Post by Daniel » Tue Sep 22, 2015 8:35 pm

Hi Guys,

We have implemented a commission tier rate system for OpenCart sellers. Below are the different tiers:

Bronze 50%
Silver 45%
Gold 30%
Platinum 25%

We have started to prepare a document that will give you more specific details on how to lower your commission rate and will post it when its ready.

It won't be based on sales.

You will be able to lower your rates by:

1. Helpfulness to your extension buyers when they need support
2. Writing blog articles about OpenCart
3. Helping people in the forum.

Commission rates can also go higher if you are not providing support to people who buy extensions.

Most older sellers are already on platinum rates so they don't need to do much apart from supporting their customers with issues relating to their extensions.

OpenCart®
Project Owner & Developer.

Administrator

Post by straightlight » Wed Sep 23, 2015 1:47 am

Commission rates can also go higher if you are not providing support to people who buy extensions.
Exactly what mustn't happened and it did. Well, at this point, people will simply be more encouraged to post their contributions on their own websites or elsewhere than your extensions store site due to lack of control regarding their products and services.

People doesn't need to create an account on the forum nor from any forum on the internet to sale their products. Proven facts, guest checkout is already available in Opencart out of the box. Your methodology has simply contradicted your own publicity over Opencart for pushing contributors to sit 365 days behind a computer to maintain their stats if anyone decides to sale their goods on your store in order to maintain the acceptable rate.

Way the go !

Dedication and passion goes to those who are able to push and merge a project.

Regards,
Straightlight
Programmer / Opencart Tester

Legendary Member

Location - Canada, ON

Post by artcore » Wed Sep 23, 2015 2:19 am

I think #1 and #3 should be standard for any involved (OpenCart) developer. However it does make sense to me. I can't count the times I helped out someone who had issues with a commercial extension and never received any support.

I wonder where the blog posts are supposed to end up, though. Are they meant for http://www.opencart.com/index.php?route=feature/blog
I surely don't know any dev that likes to write them anyway :D

Attn: I no longer provide OpenCart extensions, nor future support - this includes forum posts.
Reason: OpenCart version 3+ ;D

Thanks!

Location - The Netherlands

Post by Daniel » Fri Sep 25, 2015 1:54 pm

the commission rates going higher will not effect most sellers. my staff already know the people who are not providing support to their buyers.

OpenCart®

Administrator

Post by qahar » Fri Sep 25, 2015 2:56 pm

Daniel wrote:Commission rates can also go lower if you are not providing support to people who buy extensions.
I think there is mistake with that. The initial word quoted by straighlight is much more make sense.

If this already implemented, how do we know what level we get?
The only clue right now is by looking on commission rate at sales transaction.

Expert Member

Location - Indonesia

Post by Daniel » Sat Sep 26, 2015 12:09 pm

Your old seller levels will not change unless you are not providing support.

Also i will add some text in your account so you know youre level

OpenCart®

Administrator

Post by gob33 » Sat Sep 26, 2015 4:53 pm

This is a complication that will take time to manage and will produce inequalities between developers and therefore frustration and rejection.

All my extensions

Location - France

Post by Daniel » Wed Sep 30, 2015 2:13 pm

yes your right. higher!

OpenCart®

Administrator

Post by ostechnologies » Fri Oct 02, 2015 2:07 am

Can you please let me know by when you will prepare the detail document and when we can see the level on our account?

Also after paying 50% commission to opencart it deduct paypal fee also. I think you need to think on that area also. This rate is very high and it discourage development company.

Please advice.

Opencart Expert | sales[at]ost.agency
Skype - manish.osuniverse | Gtalk - manishmt

Extensions for Opencart @ https://www.ost.agency/product/product- ... extensions
ost.agency - ecommerce website design, development and digital company

Post by straightlight » Fri Oct 02, 2015 5:00 am

Also after paying 50% commission to opencart it deduct paypal fee also. I think you need to think on that area also. This rate is very high and it discourage development company.
It discourages more than anything. If resellers are going to think like that by growing their service fees commission year-after-year, then PayPal definitely needs to grow their APIs for Adaptive / Parallel Payments outside the US. Granted, by doing that, the service fees from PayPal will also grow. At least, it won't be extended rates forced by reseller web sites.

Dedication and passion goes to those who are able to push and merge a project.

Regards,
Straightlight
Programmer / Opencart Tester

Legendary Member

Location - Canada, ON

Post by mexykanu » Mon Oct 05, 2015 1:29 pm

I was intending to start selling my extensions and now my customers will need to pay 50% more.
Opencart's staff decision will affect new sellers by discouraging them to sell as well as customers, as prices will increase by 100% due to developers not wanting to earn less money.

I would suggest that everyone start at 30% as before. If they don't provide support then increase their commision. If they provide and maintain support, then give them a lower commision - 25%.

Post by iSenseLabs » Tue Oct 06, 2015 2:01 pm

This is a free market and you can charge whatever you want for your extensions. If you believe that you need to increase the prices then increase the prices.

While I generally disagree with OpenCart's policy to put everyone on the lowest commission bracket (25%), there is nothing bad with the newly imposed commission levels. Frankly the rules of how to start and advance through these ladders are a bit unclear, but it is a good idea. In terms of modules we are checking the market every single day and I seldom see any increase to compensate for these extra 5%.

Premium OpenCart Extensions and Custom Development

Post by Daniel » Wed Oct 07, 2015 2:01 pm

Trist me. Bring your rate down will be easy.and will help market opencart.

OpenCart®

Administrator

Post by tabook » Thu Mar 03, 2016 2:51 pm

Any news about commission rates ?

Forget complex and inconvenient stock Categories and Products in OpenCart - use Acute Category Manager +!
Ready for 1.5.x and 2.x Editions

Post by SporeD3v » Sun Apr 17, 2016 8:34 am

Hello,

I'm pretty new here as an extension developer and I'm very happy that I got accepted as a seller. I usually try to follow the rules and do what needs to be done in order to acomplish something. However.. the criterias that you listed are a bit vague so I have a couple of questions just to clarify things out for me and everybody else that is interested.

First thing first:

Following those points that you listed will provide us (new devs) with a better commission rate. Is there a time period after our account gets verified? Do we need to mail OpenCart to check our status and if we're eligible for a tier upgrade? Is it random?

Helpfulness to your extension buyers when they need support:

Very clear and logical. However I'd like to know what you qualify as good support. For example, I never answered later than 48 hours and I usually answer in under 12 hours, weekends included. Is 48 hours a good interval or do you find that to be too long?

Writing blog articles about OpenCart:

As stated before by others, not everyone is a blogger. I worked with dozens of OpenCart installations for my clients, both at work and as a freelancer. All the work that I did in OpenCart was because I recommended this platform to my clients instead of other platforms. I sometimes recommend OpenCart in different groups on Facebook, etc. While this is not blogging, surely it helps OpenCart. I understand that you can't really verify this but I'm just curious really how important is the blogging part for you considering the fact that not everybody enjoys runing a blog. Is this a decisive factor for getting a tier upgrade?

Helping people in the forum:

Also makes sense, giving back to the community seems like a fair deal. I usually check the forums when I need to find some specific information or when an update gets released. When I do that, if I see anything that I find interesting to answer or that has no answer for a very long time, I try to help. I don't think that I helped more than 5 people over the forum. However, I made an extension with more than 1800 downloads. That means that it helped more or less than that number of people, arguably having a bigger impact than answering 200 questions. Whenever I have free time I prefer to make a free extension that helps a large number of people rather than fix an individual problem. Does this count as "helping people" regardless of the fact that it's not on the forums? Or does it need to be specifically on the forums?

I just provided some examples for my particular case but I think that many new developers struggle with this kind of questions and any clarification would be great. Sorry for the long text and any possible typos, it's 03:30 AM here.

Post by impairedspook » Sun Apr 17, 2016 11:34 am

Hi all,

I understand this and generally agree except for blogging about Opencart as not everyone enjoys or wants to write a blog, I do not mind at all recommending and generally supporting Opencart however I would not blog so I would also wonder how important this is to affect commission rates. Also would there be clarity around what you need to do or how far off you are from reaching the next tier?

On a slightly different note, I have been wondering how long it takes to open a seller account? The reason I ask is I applied about a month ago but have not heard anything back yet? Is there something I can do to speed this process up or do I just need to wait patiently like I have been doing :)

Maybe I do not meet the criteria to open a seller account but have not found any solid info on this and all the posts I can find seem to reasonably old.

Appreciate if anyone could shed some light on this...

Thanks

Post by SporeD3v » Mon Apr 18, 2016 12:01 am

To answer your question about the seller account, I don't know for sure the conditions of OpenCart but what I did was to create a free extension and provide good support for it, I helped a few people on the forums and then mailed the OpenCart team with a question about when will my account be activated. To my surprise, the account was updated to a seller account as soon as I addressed the question. They probably reviewed my account right then and decided it was ok to give me the right to sell. My advice is to help the community as much as possible and then mail them to ask about your application status. I also told them a few words about what I realistically plan to do as a seller and what qualified me as one.

My guess is that the exact thing applies for when you want a commission reduction but I decided to ask on the forums to avoid spamming the OC team.

Hope you get a chance to join us soon! :)

Post by impairedspook » Mon Apr 18, 2016 1:49 pm

SporeD3v wrote:To answer your question about the seller account, I don't know for sure the conditions of OpenCart but what I did was to create a free extension and provide good support for it, I helped a few people on the forums and then mailed the OpenCart team with a question about when will my account be activated. To my surprise, the account was updated to a seller account as soon as I addressed the question. They probably reviewed my account right then and decided it was ok to give me the right to sell. My advice is to help the community as much as possible and then mail them to ask about your application status. I also told them a few words about what I realistically plan to do as a seller and what qualified me as one.

My guess is that the exact thing applies for when you want a commission reduction but I decided to ask on the forums to avoid spamming the OC team.

Hope you get a chance to join us soon! :)
Thanks SporeD3v, appreciate the reply. I downloaded your free extension and you were quick for support :) I currently have about 16 free extensions uploaded and have been providing support for them as well as trying to help out in the forums so hopefully this helps in my favor. Maybe it is time to send them an email and check if I make the cut :)

Cheers

Post by SporeD3v » Wed Apr 20, 2016 2:45 am

Yep, I think you should try that. Glad you enjoyed my extension. :)

Post by Daniel » Fri Jan 13, 2017 4:21 pm

Ok lets come up with some ideas how people can reduce there commission rates.

it needs to benefit opencart and the community.

OpenCart®

Administrator