Post by onlinehealth » Wed Jan 23, 2013 3:08 pm

I'm a newbie that successfully installed opencart and have been creating categories and products as well as uploading photos, creating details, prices etc. I decided to create the shop on a url I wouldn't be using until the site was ready to go live and then copy the files over to another domain. I was just about finished with all products and was surprised to see that even though the style sheet was applied I'd still have to start from scratch in the photos, products and category department. This is after I exported-imported the database file.

I searched the extensions page for free items that would do what I need but some of these products would seem to take longer than me just re-entering all that information again. Isn't there a quick and simple way to get the product (pricing, details, photos) and categories items transferred to my other domain?

Post by onlinehealth » Thu Jan 24, 2013 11:34 am

Does no one have the answer to this?

Post by NVDon » Fri Feb 22, 2013 5:38 am

I'm going to bump this one again as I have essentially the same question. Surely we can't be the only two who have had this question regarding OpenCart...

Post by NVDon » Fri Mar 01, 2013 8:05 am

I should have done some experimenting before I bumped this original posting. Now that I have actually performed an Export/Import, I find that links for my photos are, in fact, included in the Export as well as being Imported into the database just fine.

Post by badams48 » Sun Mar 03, 2013 6:22 am

My question is about any precautions needed when importing from the free export/import tool. I have successfully exported my store to an excel spreadsheet. If I only make a handful of changes, must the whole store be imported? I don't want to blow up the whole store making a correction on a few products. Thanks.

Post by NVDon » Sun Mar 03, 2013 7:33 am

My experience with the Export/Import tool is that when I do an Import it imports whatever data is in the spreadsheet. If a particular record already exists in the database, the contents of that record will be replaced with whatever is in the spreadsheet. If you add a new product to the spreadsheet you have to be very careful that you don't inadvertently use an existing product_id field number that has already been used and that it is correctly associated with the correct category_id value. All of the _id fields are included in the spreadsheet file. If you delete a product from the spreadsheet I don't know whether the import tools will also delete that particular product_id from the database. Experimentation should allow you to determine that yourself.

The backup tool, as I understand it, makes a complete copy of the entire database and structure. It in fact saves it as a .SQL file. The export/import tool only handles the data itself and not the structure of the database.

Post by d.southcott@live.com » Mon Aug 25, 2014 10:38 pm

I use total import pro to do the .xml file imports into my online store. But the supplier has several .xml files all with subcategories that are similar. Because of this apple/accessories just goes into /accessories with tablet/accessories and every other accessory out there. Bummer.....

TO try to keep the online store from getting the products all mixed together I have setup two sites. One visible on the internet, the other in a subfolder so it is not visible. The one that no one sees import the products. Then once I use the store manager for opencart to sort the categories the way I want them.

Once that is done I need to export them from that store and import them into the one people can see on the net. It does not matter if I use the backup/restore or export/import or phpmyadmin from the host. The sql file i now over 70 megs. Does anyone know the fields that are involved with the products: name, description, photo, etc. So I can just export/import those and try to keep things going without having as much fun as I am having?

As well would it be possible to automate the process as well?

Post by sunsys » Sat May 02, 2015 2:22 am

d.southcott@live.com wrote:Does anyone know the fields that are involved with the products: name, description, photo, etc. So I can just export/import those and try to keep things going without having as much fun as I am having?
@d.southcott@live.com, very right question raised by you. I and many other users of OC have been asking the same question as you have raised above, the developers of OC should make a tree diagram like a sitemap as to what is linked to where, but nobody is answering this question as how to do partial backups.

I just want to do a plain vanilla category and product only(something like the standard OC install cat+pds) backup from my running shop. It is very sad that since last 2 years nobody is answering this question.

Regards,
Sun Systems
Industrial Electronics and Instrumentation

Post by bitartist » Thu Oct 22, 2015 10:16 pm

sunsys wrote:
d.southcott@live.com wrote:Does anyone know the fields that are involved with the products: name, description, photo, etc. So I can just export/import those and try to keep things going without having as much fun as I am having?
@d.southcott@live.com, very right question raised by you. I and many other users of OC have been asking the same question as you have raised above, the developers of OC should make a tree diagram like a sitemap as to what is linked to where, but nobody is answering this question as how to do partial backups.

I just want to do a plain vanilla category and product only(something like the standard OC install cat+pds) backup from my running shop. It is very sad that since last 2 years nobody is answering this question.
Well,

I my humble opinion, there must be something about "money"? There is a lot of things missing in OC to accomplish everybody´s necessities; but, of course such thing will never happen because of the reasons we all know. Being imopssible to respond all different necessities around the clock or the world. That´s for sure, for such thing, paid extenions will apply. But, what I am talking about it´s the fact that "simple" (but imoportant) things like: import and export as WP offer for easy longer before OC does not have.

I am starting working with OC now, and I am happy for now that I could re-edit "FEATURED" module to correspond to my needs: show all the products at index "common/home". IT was an advance if you consider (if you do, let me know) it´s impossible to find out a codex for OC turning things PRETTY MUCH HARD TO ACHIEVE (solutions). But we won´t need to call a DBA professional for such thing (impor/export). I will take care of this today, and since I got it to the point, I will let you know here.

Regards,
Bitartist