Post by crumpled » Thu Feb 09, 2012 3:34 am

I've used a lot of hosted applications, and OpenCart definitely has a lot of utility, and a lot of potential for more modules/extensions/etc.

The thing that frustrates me is that I'm struggling to find a good source of real information.
I saw in this forum that there may have been a wiki online to try and help document some of the things that an intermediate user or developer might find informative.

I have read through the documentation on opencart.com, there's simply too little of it.
I really suggest porting the documentation into a wiki, and allow the experts in this forum help you give the people the information needed to be successful developing things for OpenCart.

Meanwhile, I'll continue dredging around and asking questions.

Post by kersti » Tue Mar 20, 2012 7:01 pm

I'd like to second that - it's the most frustrating this about the whole thing, even down to simple things like "what does this setting actually do" or what does the search actually search on???

With proper documentation this could be a total application killer in the market - without it it will remain a frustrating potential tool that many non-developers will simply give up on.

Post by Qphoria » Wed Mar 21, 2012 12:15 am

In my experience, people don't bother to read the little documentation there is anyway. People want custom things and think that some magical documentation will help them figure it out, but nobody knows exactly what you want. Documentation gets built on-demand. If there is something specific you are looking for, ask for it. If it is something that applies for multiple people, I will create a page for it.

Administrator

Post by MrTech » Sat Mar 24, 2012 7:43 am

I want to third that request for documentation.

I previously did post a request for a doc that outlined the diff between 1.5.1 to 1.5.2 which has yet to see the light of day. I know you are busy (I'm told you have babies, full time job and an inability to say no when it comes to helping out and so much more on your plate)...

But! The request made is sensible, instead of constantly volunteering your time on trivial matters such as this, why don't you consider empowering us to help you? I am pledging my time to update the wiki as I have a ton of notes that could help others since I just spent the better part of 3 months learning 1.5.1.3 just to scrap it all and start over with 1.5.2.1 from scratch.

~
Install Extensions OR OpenCart Fast Service! PayPal Accepted
I will professionally install and configure any free or purchased theme, module or extension.

Visit http://www.mrtech.ca if you need an OpenCart webmaster
~

Location - Canada, Eh!

Post by Qphoria » Sat Mar 24, 2012 11:56 pm

Nobody is stopping you. Make it.. and I'll move it into the FAQ area

Administrator

Post by Annabellen » Tue Apr 10, 2012 10:53 am

I am a newer joiner.I will obey the rule of forum. it my first time to visit this form .i hope we can discussion more .in this website i can learn a loy of about.thank you for share the view.I've used a lot of hosted applications, and OpenCart definitely has a lot of utility.

Post by ogun » Wed Aug 15, 2012 12:07 am

Qphoria! How are you? I haven't visited here properly in a long, long time and remember you holding the place together at one point, keen and enthusiastic and always ready with a patient answer no matter how silly the question. Great to see you are still here and still supporting the community. Keep up the good work :)

On documentation - I need to update a very old installation of Opencart, so will be making notes as I go along and can turn some of it into generic documentation for 1.5 - is straight HTML the best way to give it to you, or would you prefer another format?

Post by hostjars » Fri Sep 14, 2012 5:58 pm

Just adding to the topic of documentation here. We recently launched our documentation of the OpenCart. It is very comprehensive and covers most common user scenarios, as well as the available feature set in OpenCart. It might not be suitable to list the changes from 1.5.1 to 1.5.2, but should help a lot in understanding the OpenCart features.

Mods: Total Import PRO | Any Feed PRO | XML Input PRO |
CSV Import PRO

Post by FOPToner » Sat Oct 27, 2012 7:23 am

I want to add my vote for more documentation and possibly even paid support in the USA.

I am about ready to give up on open cart because i can't find decent docs, support tickets get marked as spam or go completely unanswered for weeks. HELP HELP HELP About ready to abandon the open cart project.

Barry Jackman FOPToner
http://www.fleetofficeproducts.com
http://www.foptoner.com

Location - Twin Falls, ID USA