Post by bull5-i » Tue Mar 27, 2012 4:43 pm

Less clicking & more speed

This extension replaces the pagination on store category, search and manufacturer/brand pages with endless (infinite) scrolling so that your customer will never have to make additional clicks to see more products. It works just like Google Reader and Bing Image/Video Search.

The added bonus is speed - endless scrolling is much faster than the traditional pagination in OpenCart. For example with 20,000+ products, endless scroller can access items on other pages over 30 times faster than regular pagination would allow. Even with the default OpenCart installation (around 20 products) you already get almost 3 times speed increase on browsing products!

Speed matters - studies show that the more you keep your customer waiting the more likely he/she will ababndon your page.

The extension degrades gracefully to conventional pagination if Javascript is disabled. So users with no JS can still access all the products and search engine crawlers (such as Googlebot, Alexa, Yahoo Slurp and others) still index all your category pages!

For those who do not know, endless scroll (or infinite scrolling or continuous scrolling) is a popular technique among web 2.0 sites, where instead of paging through items using the traditional pagination technique, the page just keeps loading with new items attached to the end.

Version 1.3 implements some of the best practices of endless scrolling to make the user experience even better. It adds an optional "Back to Top" button which can help customers get back top really fast, without having to use the scrollbar or the mouse wheel. Additionally it adds an optional sticky footer which shows the current progress: how much products are being shown currently and what is the total number.
You also have an option to use a "More" button instead of auto loading the pages or together with the auto loading feature, just like Google Image Search does. You can specify how many pages are loaded automatically before the "More" button is displayed. If the customer clicks on the "More" button then another set of auto loads will be performed before the "More" is shown again. The "More" button is a way to let customers reach the footer without having to scroll through all the products. It is useful in cases where the theme has a footer that is not sticky.

Version 1.4 makes the scrolling stateful, so it does not break the back button. You can scroll several pages, then leave the page to view a product for example and when you return to the infinite scrolling page with a back button, you can continue browsing from where you left the page. Furthermore you can scroll to any location, get the current URL from the address bar, open that link in another browser and see the same very same page/product that you were watching in the original browser window. So you can easily share links between other people and link them to the exact same spot that you are. With conventional pagination you could only link to the correct page where the product was, but with this extension you can link to the right product! Works with all major browsers (Firefox, Chrome, Safari, Opera) except IE (IE up to version 9 does not support this feature, maybe IE 10 will)

Note: As replacing the pagination is template specific, the extension will have to be tailored to any custom theme peculiarities. The extension comes with full support for the default theme.

The mod can be found from http://www.opencart.com/index.php?route ... on_id=5678

Main features:
  • multilingual
  • option to fade in loaded products one by one
  • endless scrolling on category, search and manufacturer/brand pages
  • much faster than regular pagination
  • degrades gracefully to conventional pagination when Javascript is disabled [added in v1.2]
  • optional "Back to Top" button [added in v1.3]
  • optional "More" button for loading the next page instead of auto loading (so customers can access the footer without having to scroll through all the pages) [added in v1.3]
  • optional sticky footer showing current progress [added in v1.3]
  • stateful scrolling that preserves the back button functionality [added in v1.4]
The latest version 1.7.0 is available as a vQmod for OpenCart 1.5.2+.
Version 1.5.3 is available for OpenCart 1.5.0.x - 1.5.1.x

Live DEMO
Store
Admin (user/password: demo)

A screencast showing how the extension works: http://screencast.com/t/cjlylx2mA
Screencast demonstrating the new features of version 1.3 http://screencast.com/t/t7BWOQYY2

- edit 10.01.2014 - released version 1.7.0 for OpenCart versions 1.5.2+ (new admin module settings page)
- edit 27.07.2013 - released version 1.6.1 for OpenCart versions 1.5.2+ (microscopic improvements)
- edit 07.05.2013 - released version 1.6.0 for OpenCart versions 1.5.2+ (added specials page endless scrolling + some minor fixes)
- edit 04.12.2012 - released version 1.5.3 for OpenCart versions 1.5.x (fixed occasional url corruption)
- edit 23.08.2012 - released version 1.5.2 for OpenCart versions 1.5.x (fixed JS issue)
- edit 22.08.2012 - released version 1.5.1 for OpenCart versions 1.5.x (fixed tiny html layout issue)
- edit 17.06.2012 - released version 1.5.0 for OpenCart versions 1.5.x (added endless scrolling to manufacturer/brand pages)
- edit 04.06.2012 - released version 1.4.3 for OpenCart versions 1.5.x (fixes SEO URL issue)
- edit 24.04.2012 - released version 1.4.2 for OpenCart versions 1.5.x (adds integration support for Custom Image Titles extension)
- edit 01.04.2012 - released version 1.4.1 for OpenCart versions 1.5.x (fixes a pagination issue)
- edit 01.04.2012 - released version 1.4.0 for OpenCart versions 1.5.x (made scrolling stateful)
- edit 30.03.2012 - released version 1.3.0 for OpenCart versions 1.5.x (added endless scroll best practices)
- edit 28.03.2012 - released version 1.2.0 for OpenCart versions 1.5.x (added graceful degradation if Javascript is disabled)
- edit 27.03.2012 - released version 1.1.0 for OpenCart versions 1.5.x (added endless scrolling to search page)
- edit 27.03.2012 - initial release for OpenCart versions 1.5.x

Tags: endless scrolling, infinite scrolling, continuous scrolling, scroller, category product scrolling, search product scrolling, stateful scrolling, preserves back button
Last edited by bull5-i on Sun Jan 12, 2014 2:31 am, edited 6 times in total.

|V|355 \/\/17|-| 7}{3 |3357, ... [you know the rest]

Commercial mods: New! Questions & Answers PRO - Admin Quick Edit PRO - Product Downloads PRO - Custom Product Tab PRO - New! Product Quick Edit Plus

All mods & extensions by me

Post by bull5-i » Fri Mar 30, 2012 4:22 pm

Released version 1.3.0 for OpenCart 1.5.x.x which implements some of the best practices:
  • Added: option to use "Back to Top" button
  • Added: option to use "More" button for loading the next page instead of auto loading
  • Added: option to use sticky footer showing the current progress

Commercial mods: New! Questions & Answers PRO - Admin Quick Edit PRO - Product Downloads PRO - Custom Product Tab PRO - New! Product Quick Edit Plus

Post by bull5-i » Sun Apr 01, 2012 11:32 pm

Released version 1.4.0 for OpenCart 1.5.x.x which implements another important best practice:
  • Updated: scrolling is now stateful, meaning it preserves the back button functionality, which significantly improves the user experience

Post by bull5-i » Mon Apr 02, 2012 2:07 am

Released version 1.4.1 for OpenCart 1.5.x:
  • Fixed: pagination issue that occured when the pages interval did not start with page 1

Post by prashoo7 » Sun Jun 03, 2012 8:14 pm

Hi,

Your module doesn't work with seo url can you help me with that.
whatever charges you take do tell us .

We want to make it work with openamazon theme.
We bought by Kanika Gupta name.

Thank you

Post by bull5-i » Mon Jun 04, 2012 4:43 am

Hi,

There indeed seems to be some kind of issue with SEO URLs. The server does not hande the requests correctly and returns incorrect response. I shall investigate the matter further and release a bugfix version.

Thank you for bringing my attention to this.

-edit-

Released version 1.4.3:
  • Fixed: issue with SEO URLs - OpenCart URL library was generating erroneous links for page loading.

Post by bull5-i » Sun Jun 17, 2012 7:32 pm

Released version 1.5.0:
  • Added: endless scrolling to manufacturer/brands pages.

Post by scanreg » Mon Oct 22, 2012 6:20 pm

can spiders see your entire product list in a large category?

in other words if you have say 1,000 items in category A, the default pagination provides links to the sub-pages that spiders can reach

however if using infinite scrolling can spiders find the 1000th product?

thanks

Post by bull5-i » Tue Oct 23, 2012 2:47 am

Yes, spiders can index all items in a large category. Web browsers without Javascript support see the default pagination.

Post by scanreg » Tue Oct 23, 2012 2:59 am

bull5-i wrote:Yes, spiders can index all items in a large category. Web browsers without Javascript support see the default pagination.
fascinating, great

nice extension :)

Post by celestial » Sun Feb 07, 2016 2:42 pm

We need patch for journal2 please

Celestial - Martín Abel Rosales
WhatsApp: 50671482211
Email: martinrosales2012@hotmail.com
San José , Costa Rica

Expert Member

Location - Costa Rica

Post by TiaID » Sun May 14, 2017 3:06 am

is there a patch for journal2?

Post by Violeta Sirakova » Fri May 19, 2017 11:51 am

Journal2 has patch as far as I know like marketshop.