Post by qahar » Tue Feb 21, 2012 3:21 am

Some idea here implemented to default2, clean and minimalist OpenCart 2 theme.
Feel free to use and give me feedback there.

=====================

Right now I'm developing a theme framework, not decide the name yet but at least it's already 60% done. And I can't hold my self to share the concept here hehee..

I develope a theme framework because my concern about how an extension -sometime- not work seamlessly with a themes nowadays, vice versa. When someone develope an extension or a theme, they will always start to use the default Opencart feature, either default theme or modules. And with this framework, if an extension work with Opencart default theme, it will work seamlessly with the framework.

Now we already have vQmod to solve some development problem, but we need a boilerplate code to make a good theme without messing the Opencart system. So I decide to deprecate my eManager and use some part of them for the framework with ton of improvement. I develope the framework with three key concept: design possibilities, product compatibility and user experience.

This Theme Framework will be available for free, released under the MIT and GPL licenses. All developer will be allowed to use the framework for their commercial project, including for commercial themes they sold. I will include the detail when release.

My target right now is Done and Working (ETA 3rd week of March).

Here some list of the concept ( already done):
  1. The framework use an xml file as theme profiles to ensure there is no conflict when user use two or more themes based on the framework.
  2. At theme_profiles.xml file you will see:
    1. Theme identity: name, version, author, list of vqmod file, list of module position supported by theme.
    2. List of vQmod: used on theme activation. When a theme activated on Opencart setting page, vqmod file belong to current theme will be enabled and other theme vqmod will be disabled to avoid conflict.
    3. Module position: automatically insert the position to all modules on Opencart admin.
  3. Theme manager (including snippet code) and stylesheet editor that used to be part of -unreleased- eManager (lol...).
  4. Builtin two type megamenu: compact and plain (sreenshot). Plus snippet code (basic editor) to customize through admin page.
  5. Use html5 and css3; plus microdata (need more test).
  6. and more..
And here some screenshot of it:
Module Positions.gif

Default module position - Module Positions.gif (11.46 KiB) Viewed 11325 times

Template-changes-admin-setting.png

Opencart admin setting page - Template-changes-admin-setting.png (103.13 KiB) Viewed 11325 times

Megamenu-plain.png

Megamenu: plain - Megamenu-plain.png (99.33 KiB) Viewed 11325 times

Megamenu-compact.png

Megamenu: compact - Megamenu-compact.png (230.29 KiB) Viewed 11325 times

What you think guys? share your minds..

Expert Member

Location - Indonesia

Post by inactiveaccount9912 » Tue Feb 21, 2012 3:48 am

Great ideea! Though I dont understand how will the new module positions be available for all modules? Let me know if I can help somehow.

Expert Member

Post by qahar » Tue Feb 21, 2012 4:28 am

florinsith wrote:Great ideea! Though I dont understand how will the new module positions be available for all modules?
I use vQmoda wildcard feature: admin/view/template/module/*.tpl
And search: <?php echo $module_row; ?>][position] and [' + module_row + '][position]
Add code after it: from the list of module position supported by the theme (theme_profiles.xml)
florinsith wrote:Let me know if I can help somehow.
Thank you for your offer, really appreciate it. You can help me test it when it comes :)

Expert Member

Location - Indonesia

Post by Lisaweb » Tue Feb 21, 2012 9:50 am

Wow, this is an INCREDIBLE amount of effort here. Really appreciate your contributions toward this code.

Using OC v1.5.4.1 with Evisu Theme

Post by senti » Tue Feb 21, 2012 1:05 pm

Way to go! This is a great concept and right approach to make Opencart best shopping cart ever.Opencart developers should take it into consideration for future releases.Keep up the good work Qahar!

Post by qahar » Sat Feb 25, 2012 11:42 pm

As we know, a module only able to show on one layout; based on spesific layout, route layout or store layout (How Layout System Work). The first one will deprecate the next. If we want the same module able to show on several (say 5) layout. With the curent layout system, we need to make 5 same module to show on 5 different layout.

I'm doing several test to "fix" Opencart -module- layout limitation, where a module (admin) able to choose several layout at a time. And in the front, module still able to show based on spesific layout, route or store default (and of course, the "default" layout will show on all pages).

To test it, I use 3 welcome module and 1 latest module. I give you some screenshot:
welcome_admin.png

module able to choose several layout - welcome_admin.png (8.49 KiB) Viewed 11080 times

sitemap.png

"default" layout will make a module show on all pages - sitemap.png (20.51 KiB) Viewed 11080 times

contact.png

Module 1 (red) show on contact and information page because assigned to two layout. - contact.png (23.85 KiB) Viewed 11080 times

information.png

information.png (24.54 KiB) Viewed 11080 times

Also part of the test, I'm try to set a Layout to have multiple "route".
layout-multi-route-1.png

A layout with multiple route - layout-multi-route-1.png (7.05 KiB) Viewed 11080 times

layout-multi-route-2.png

Result of multiple route on a Layout - layout-multi-route-2.png (18.18 KiB) Viewed 11080 times

The advantage of this modification:
  1. Able to set a module to several layout.
  2. A Layout able to have multiple route.
  3. Since "default" layout show module on all page, we can make top & bottom menu with just one module.
  4. Or may be we will see all theme features become modular in the future, i.e. search, menu, breadcrumbs etc.
  5. And if all modules have "class suffix" input, it will increasing the design possibility.
Until I write this post I'm still unable to modificate all necessary file to work seamlessly.
Well If I'm still unable to make it work seamlessly with most modules, this feature will not available on first released (may be the upgrade - hope so)

Thank you to JAY6390 for the vQmod Regex, the modification work seamlessly on Opencart default module. Need more test for other extension modules.

Expert Member

Location - Indonesia

Post by qahar » Thu Mar 01, 2012 5:03 am

Right know I use clean white design for Theme Manager, and automatically check custom Theme Manager themes. So if you want to rebrand the Theme Manager design, it's just simply provide custom stylesheet.

And adding new tab setting is easy since it's designed modular. And the data will be automatically available on frontpage.

Teaser for the Theme Manager:
theme-manager-1.jpg

theme-manager-1.jpg (172.77 KiB) Viewed 10999 times

theme-manager-2.jpg

theme-manager-2.jpg (91.59 KiB) Viewed 10999 times

Expert Member

Location - Indonesia

Post by cmrdirect » Fri Mar 16, 2012 10:44 pm

How far are we away from seeing the fruits of this labour.

Your compact megamenu is delightfully formatted (as is the content on your blog manager) and I want to know if I should hang on for your theme manager, or other goodies, or go with the theme I have now in place, as I want to launch in about 2-3 weeks.

Kurt

Check out my Opencart sites here: Consumambles for condensed matter research and Handwoven Scarves Shop

Post by qahar » Fri Mar 16, 2012 11:52 pm

Even if I able to provide Octave Framework this month, I'm sure the documentation isn't ready yet.

So, if your plan is to launch site on 2-3 weeks, my suggest is stick with it, generate traffic and make some money. You can change your site whenever you want in the future. :)

Expert Member

Location - Indonesia

Post by garyton » Sun Mar 25, 2012 12:04 am

Hello~
was wondering when this theme framework megemenu is available to try out? it looks quite interesting...

Post by qahar » Mon Mar 26, 2012 5:32 pm

About two weeks ago I decided to separate the framework from the theme, this mean framework update will much easier.
But the consequence is I need to develope a "boilerplate" sample theme. So everyone will understand how to develope theme using the Octave Framework feature. After everything is done, I will ask some developer to do private-test.

I'm already miss the first ETA, so I don't want to make another ETA. Sorry.

Expert Member

Location - Indonesia

Post by aurevilly » Thu May 10, 2012 2:07 am

I must say I'm quite impressed by your development, Qahar. I just bought the Blog Manager module and it works great.

If you need a private tester, let me know.

Thanks.

Location - Sherbrooke, Canada

Post by visnetmedia » Thu Jun 07, 2012 7:14 am

Hi I would love to be a tester as well I don't sell themes but build them for clients.

Post by qahar » Thu Jun 07, 2012 11:39 pm

@aurevilly n @visnetmedia sure, will contact when it's ready

Expert Member

Location - Indonesia

Post by cmrdirect » Sun Mar 24, 2013 3:28 am

Did the octave framework ever get published ?

Check out my Opencart sites here: Consumambles for condensed matter research and Handwoven Scarves Shop

Post by qahar » Fri Mar 29, 2013 12:36 am

cmrdirect wrote:Did the octave framework ever get published ?
No, not even the beta version is published.

When I share the concept, I have tons of idea. But then I realize it's very pain to deal with OpenCart update.
Has been rewritten several times, some features delayed (not to say removed) and till now is still under alpha development.

Expert Member

Location - Indonesia

Post by marvmen21 » Mon May 20, 2013 10:32 am

Well this seems a wonderful idea! I hope you can continue developing.

Regards,

Marvin

You want to thank me for my time! :) Click here to donate

Post by qahar » Fri Jun 05, 2015 8:14 am

I know it's been long time but I implement some of the idea here for default2.
Feel free to use and give me feedback there.

Expert Member

Location - Indonesia