Post by rphinson » Thu Sep 29, 2011 5:53 am

OpenCart 1.5.1

I have an opencart site http://www.purchoice.com/ and I want to add the ability for customers to designate a % of their purchase price to charity(ies) of their choice.

Doing so would give OpenCart a unique sales point, make OpenCart an easy choice for sustainable retailers and help support charities.

The requirements would be:

Either (and preferably)-
When a customer creates an account they can pick from 1 to 4 charities that a portion of their total sales can be donated to.
Or-
When a customer checks out they can pick from 1 to 4 charities that a portion of their proceeds go to.
The total to date amount donated to each of the selected charities should be viewable to the customer in My Account.

The Shop owner needs to be able to-
Designate the percentage.
Track the total amount donated by all customers to each charity individually.
Either run a report filtered by date of the amount or be able to reset the amount. This allows the Shop owner to write the donation and begin tracking again.

Any clever, philanthropically-minded programers up for the challenge? It would be a great addition to OpenCart or an add on module.

Cheers and thanks!

Ryan

Post by Moggin » Thu Sep 29, 2011 7:20 am

Qphoria built an extension like this for 1.4x - and it's free
http://theqdomain.com/ocstore/charity?keyword=charity

He might update it to 1.5x; perhaps if offered a donation, or a fee? ;) who knows.

Post by rphinson » Thu Sep 29, 2011 8:26 am

Thanks! I've sent him a message. It is close to what I'm looking for. His extension allows a customer to add a donation to their purchase, I'm giving part of the customer's purchase price (at no cost to the customer) to the charity.

I'm a Shop owner, not a programmer, but I think it wouldn't be that far off from functionality like the current Rewards Program.

I think there is a place for it in the cart, ONE HOPE Wine is one of many examples of people doing something similar within the restraint of current carts.

Post by rphinson » Fri Sep 30, 2011 6:22 am

If someone with OC experience is wiling to take on this project I'd love to discuss it with them. The original developer I worked with took me for a chunk o' change but this is really an option that is important to me. Part of the foundation of starting this business was a vehicle to help support charities and the work they do. You can contact me through the link I listed in the original post.

Post by joy » Thu Oct 20, 2011 12:37 am

This is also one of the features i would like to have... but prefer the percentage is fixed by the shop owner.

OC version 1.5.1.3

joy

Post by mberlant » Thu Oct 20, 2011 10:03 am

How do you get the charity(ies) to give you permission to use their name on your store and to issue charitable donation declarations and receipts in their name?

Or, do you have a disclaimer on your store that states clearly that your store has no affiliation with the charity and that contributions made to the store are not tax deductible? Does the store then take the tax deduction on all of these sales based donations?

Please use proper English at all times, so that all members may understand you.

Post by joy » Thu Oct 20, 2011 11:36 am

Hmm... talking about tax implications here... it's rather difficult to do in the way that the op wants. :-[

What we normally see is the shop owner will set aside a portion of the proceeds (normally is how many cents for an item etc.) for donations to encourage customers to buy from them. In that way, the shop is the donor, the donation receipts will be issuing to the shop, thus no tax involves with the customer.

If that is the case, the shop owner could just make a statement at the shop and declare the amount donated for e.g. that month. E.g. of the website at here and here.

Probably we should not be too lazy, hoping everything to be implemented in the cart for our convenience sake, and makes the cart too complicated for others. ;D

OC version 1.5.1.3

joy

Post by mberlant » Thu Oct 20, 2011 8:52 pm

The one thing that both of the web sites you link to have in common is that they declare that they have the explicit permission of the registered charity to be engaging in this form of solicitation.

The adhesives company declares the origin and depth of affiliation with its charity and the pet food company created a charity corporation to manage their philanthropy.

Please use proper English at all times, so that all members may understand you.

Post by joy » Thu Oct 20, 2011 10:33 pm

Hmm... I never read and think so much about the affiliation or permission on donation to the charity.
I thought one act on that is for the good cause and should not have too many rules to hold someone back on contributing to the charity. Are we out of the topic now? ;)

OC version 1.5.1.3

joy