Post by ManiGandham » Sat Jan 09, 2010 1:06 pm

Have a store that needs the ability to search through multiple categories at the same time... can anyone make this happen?

Post by Qphoria » Sat Jan 09, 2010 1:11 pm

it already searches by product. Are you saying you want to limit the search by category(s)

Administrator

Post by ManiGandham » Sat Jan 09, 2010 2:24 pm

I want the user to be able to pick multiple (sub)categories... not just one.

Right now clicking one changes the url to this:
/store/index.php?route=product/category&path=35_36_38
or this:
/store/index.php?route=product/category&path=35_40_45

But I'd like the user to view products that fit into both subcategories... something like this:
/store/index.php?route=product/category&path=35_36_38,35_40_45

Is this possible?

Post by Xsecrets » Sat Jan 09, 2010 11:17 pm

I don't understand the url's you posted are category pages not a search result category pages just show all products associated with that category and products can be associated with more than one category, so just put all the products you want in both categories.

OpenCart commercial mods and development http://spotonsolutions.net
Layered Navigation
Shipment Tracking
Vehicle Year/Make/Model Filter

Guru Member

Location - FL US

Post by Yakiv » Sat Jan 09, 2010 11:45 pm

Xsecrets wrote:I don't understand the url's you posted are category pages not a search result category pages just show all products associated with that category and products can be associated with more than one category, so just put all the products you want in both categories.
This suggestion makes absolutely no sense. The products may validly not be in both categories.

Post by Xsecrets » Sun Jan 10, 2010 1:25 am

well I would imagine if they are not validly in both categories he wouldn't want to be showing them together, so yes it makes perfect sense.

Layered Navigation
Shipment Tracking

Guru Member

Location - FL US

Post by Yakiv » Sun Jan 10, 2010 1:35 am

Xsecrets wrote:well I would imagine if they are not validly in both categories he wouldn't want to be showing them together, so yes it makes perfect sense.
No, someone may want to just search within certain categories and not others, with keywords that may cross into both categories, but not forcing a correlation between the categories.

Post by Qphoria » Sun Jan 10, 2010 1:40 am

But searching is done by product anyway.

So if you search "ipod" it could be in
"MP3" category & "Apple" category and it will still show up in a search.

It sounds like "search" is the wrong word to use. Sounds like he wants to show multiple categories at once. But then somewhat similar to what Xsecrets said, you would have a combination category.
Category 1: MP3
Category 2: Apple
Category 3: Apple MP3 players

Then the customer would then click on the 3rd category that has all of the above.

Maybe I am also not understanding the question

Administrator

Post by Yakiv » Sun Jan 10, 2010 1:51 am

Qphoria wrote:But searching is done by product anyway.

So if you search "ipod" it could be in
"MP3" category & "Apple" category and it will still show up in a search.

It sounds like "search" is the wrong word to use. Sounds like he wants to show multiple categories at once. But then somewhat similar to what Xsecrets said, you would have a combination category.
Category 1: MP3
Category 2: Apple
Category 3: Apple MP3 players

Then the customer would then click on the 3rd category that has all of the above.

Maybe I am also not understanding the question
Aha. But then this is more manual work for the site admin to set-up. So, wouldn't it be easier to be able to check multiple categories to search?

Post by Qphoria » Sun Jan 10, 2010 2:17 am

Well thats what I'm asking. Does he just want an advanced search that allows searching only certain categories? This is really only needed in the case of having thousands of products and you want to search iPOD in the "cases" and "covers" area but don't want any ipod devices from the "mp3" area.

Administrator

Post by Xsecrets » Sun Jan 10, 2010 2:47 am

yes he mentioned the word serch in his origional post, but as I pointed out those are not search url's there is no keyword tag so I threw out the idea of search because that I not really what he wanted unless like Q said he wanted the ability to search only in a particular category, and that did not track with the rest of the question.

Layered Navigation
Shipment Tracking

Guru Member

Location - FL US

Post by ManiGandham » Sun Jan 10, 2010 9:16 am

Ok, yes you guys are right, this isnt so much "search" as it is showing products from multiple categories at once.

All the products are in several sub categories but right now the menu only allows choosing 1 subcategory to view... I need the ability for users to select multiple subcategories and have products show up that fall into all of those selected subcategories... Kind of like the filters on newegg or ebay where you can apply multiple "filters" or "categories" to narrow down the products.

Post by Xsecrets » Sun Jan 10, 2010 9:21 am

yeah there's nothing like that yet. I am working on a layered navigation that I should have out within a week or two, but it will be more like neweggs guided search rather than their advanced search.

Layered Navigation
Shipment Tracking

Guru Member

Location - FL US

Post by Qphoria » Sun Jan 10, 2010 10:26 am

that will be a great feature. I always liked that type of drill down

Administrator

Post by Yakiv » Sun Jan 10, 2010 4:09 pm

Qphoria wrote:that will be a great feature. I always liked that type of drill down
I think he means something like what is shown on SamAsh.com. This is the kind of impressive functionality that I was talking about, from that site.

Post by ManiGandham » Sun Jan 10, 2010 10:48 pm

Can anyone make this feature possible? I'm posting this on the commercial support forum to look for someone who can make this happen...

Post by Qphoria » Mon Jan 11, 2010 12:21 am

I know what he means

Administrator

Post by metalMilita » Fri Nov 26, 2010 12:08 am

Hey!!

Did somebody find a solution for this situation.Or a clue at least to solve?

Regards.

Post by marieneige » Sat Mar 30, 2013 12:25 pm

did you find anything like this? I am searching for it too

Post by paulfeakins » Tue Apr 02, 2013 9:55 pm

We could develop this if enough people need it, feel free to email info@antropy.co.uk if you're interested.

UK OpenCart Hosting | OpenCart Audits | OpenCart Support - please email info@antropy.co.uk

Guru Member

Location - London Gatwick, United Kingdom