Post by pathfinder_05 » Thu Jan 22, 2009 7:58 am

Hi guys, thanks for a good, clean, simple to use and free shopping cart.

I'm going to be selling just one product, with the folowing options -
  • two tax zones
  • five pre set shipping prices
  • shopping cart to be put in a window of 500px square
  • no external links required to 'contact', 'home', etc
That's it.  I'm starting now to hack away at the template to get rid of sidebar and header, etc.

Can anyone see an easier way to do this... or more efficient than having loads of dormant code lying around?

I love all the admin features and will make full use of all 'behind the scenes' capabilities, but visually it's going to be minimalistic.

Many thanks.

DB

Post by Qphoria » Thu Jan 22, 2009 10:35 am

First step: Read the important notes on creating a new template
Second step: You can change the main layout with the template/YOURTEMPLATE/layout.tpl file. You can completely remove the header, side column and footer, and leave just the main "content" page

Administrator

Post by pathfinder_05 » Thu Jan 22, 2009 9:15 pm

Ok.... many thanks..... I'll get hacking away and I'll give you a link to the finished result and, if there is a facility for it, give you the template to share with others.

DB

Post by pathfinder_05 » Fri Jan 23, 2009 7:57 am

Hi there,

After a successful day of trimming your shopping cart down to it's bare bones for my one item I am now onto the next phase.....

Inserting it into a Wordpress page.

Have you come across this before?

I've given it a go by using this plugin..... http://priyadi.net/wp-content/plugins/phpexec.txt 

I'm unsure of how to call it... I've tried 'include' but am unsure of the correct location terminology for the call.

Also... do you think this is going to work?  The size of the cart is now smaller than my post area.

I look forward to your reply.

Post by Qphoria » Fri Jan 23, 2009 8:45 am

if you are against using iframe
Perhaps you can use ob_start to load the page where it is and display it on your wordpress page

Administrator

Post by pathfinder_05 » Fri Jan 23, 2009 10:47 pm

Hi mate, Thanks for the replies.

I'm a php newbie 100%.

Any help to 'call' the cart from within wordpress would be helpful.

If this works and proves to be a good compatibility the options for you guys in the future regarding wordpress are pretty damn good!

Cheers.

DB

Post by pathfinder_05 » Sat Jan 24, 2009 2:47 am

For other people with similar issues.

I have used an iframe html command to get the cart into a wordpress page.

However my next problem, due to only having one product, is to skip the home page and the product review page and land directly on the cart (cart.tpl) page from the initial 'call'.

I'll keep you all posted.

DB

Post by pathfinder_05 » Sat Jan 31, 2009 11:16 pm

Hi... this is an update into my dilemma.

With regards to my customers landing straight onto the actual cart page I am looking now at two options.

One is to do an - onload event- so when they land on the review page (which is just an easy html link to my own buy now button) they then get automatically redirected to the cart with the product ID being entered automatically.

Option two is to go into cart.php in the controller folder and 'hardcode' the product ID into it.

My problem is that I have absolutely no idea as to how to achieve any of the above (hint hint Qphoria - did you get my small donation  ;D)

Ok.  Product delivery in less than a week.  This isn't really cutting it fine is it????

Cheers

DB

Post by Qphoria » Mon Feb 02, 2009 12:25 am

Review page? you want to show customer reviews?

Do you need the customer's address and stuff? shipping based on zone? payment info?

Administrator

Post by pathfinder_05 » Tue Feb 03, 2009 12:13 am

Hi there,

You are going to really hate me now!  Especially after I've read previous posts about what you don't want to feature in the Cart project.

Here goes.

After the customer clicks on my buy now button, they are taken to your shopping cart page where they enter only the quantity.

Then, after clicking 'checkout', on the next page they enter their details (no account creation or logging in) and for now the details aren't saved.

After that, because shipping calcs are done automatically due to their address, as is tax, there is nothing else to tick or do except pay (no options for shipping because we've made the decisions for them, no options for payment because there is only credit card and no Paypal or COD).

There you have it.  I have been told by various people just to have a simple html form and then straight to the payment processor but your admin area is very easy to use and well laid out.  If you honestly think it is better I go for the simpler option please let me know and I'll follow your advice (is that something as a programmer I could hire you for?).

Thanks for your time.

DB

Post by Qphoria » Tue Feb 03, 2009 3:39 am

What you are describing wouldn't be impossible to do.

To do you one better, you can actually put the quantity box on the product page. Then click "Buy Now" to insert that qty into the cart. Then instead of going to the cart page, go to the "enter details" page. The details stuff would be the most tedious part I suppose, as you aren't saving the details for the customer i assume, just adding those details to the order, so the process would have to be redesigned a bit. Then finally, go to the confirm page.

So essentially:
Product(w/qty)-->Enter details-->checkout_confirm-->success
- no customer created
- no login created
- only the order with the details on it

Does that sound like what you want?
I'll PM you with a quote

Administrator

Post by pathfinder_05 » Tue Feb 03, 2009 4:23 am

That sounds about right.

I look forward to hearing from you again.

DB

Post by pathfinder_05 » Fri Feb 06, 2009 1:40 am

Hi There,

I'm sorry to say that despite all your advice and my hard work I've had to hire a programmer to make me a specialized one product payment processor.

Should I get any more products and expand the business I will definitely be back here to use this cart.

Keep up the good work and I look forward to seeing you in the future.

DB