Post by lsgxtremes » Thu Jan 15, 2009 8:00 pm

Hey Guys!

Any link that I click leads to a 404 page

Kindly advice pls.
Last edited by Qphoria on Thu Jan 22, 2009 6:16 am, edited 1 time in total.

Visit http://www.LSGLive.com - an Xciting hub for the gaming cult and the urban creed!

Location - mumbai, India

Post by Qphoria » Thu Jan 15, 2009 8:23 pm

don't use the 0.7.8 version of opencart.
Use the latest 0.7.9 version

Administrator

Post by Monikaelise » Sat Jan 31, 2009 2:48 am

Is there any way to update to the new version if I am using Open Cart through my host (Bluehost)? They don't give that option. Is there another way around this? I have the same problem.

Post by Qphoria » Sat Jan 31, 2009 3:02 am

Nah, hosting companies are very latent on upgrading to new versions. I'd be surprised if they even had 0.7.8 yet. You will need to manually download it and upload to your server via ftp. It's really not hard. No different than copying files from you computer to a usb drive

Administrator

Post by Monikaelise » Sat Jan 31, 2009 5:58 am

Is there any other way to get around this? Why is it happening?

Post by Qphoria » Sat Jan 31, 2009 6:06 am

As I said, It's a bug in 0.7.8. You need to upgrade to the newest version: 0.7.9 Final
Last edited by Qphoria on Sat Jan 31, 2009 6:15 am, edited 1 time in total.

Administrator

Post by Monikaelise » Sat Jan 31, 2009 6:07 am

Ok, can you tell me how to do that? I am doing this all through my FTP.

Post by Qphoria » Sat Jan 31, 2009 6:16 am

do you have an existing store that has products?
Usually if bluehost installed the store in somewhere like
www.example.com/opencart/
then you can goto your FTP and upload the new stuff over the top of the existing. Matching the folders

local : upload/admin
ftp: opencart/admin
Last edited by Qphoria on Sat Jan 31, 2009 6:20 am, edited 1 time in total.

Administrator

Post by Monikaelise » Sat Jan 31, 2009 6:17 am

Nevermind, I figured it out. I just replace the old files in my FTP with the updated ones, right? I hope so because that's what I did! :)

No I don't have existing product, I just started with this thing.

Post by Qphoria » Sat Jan 31, 2009 6:23 am

yes you did it right

Administrator

Post by Monikaelise » Sat Jan 31, 2009 6:26 am

Okay. Now how do I find out what the database name is?

Post by Qphoria » Sat Jan 31, 2009 6:35 am

in cpanel, you can click on mysql and then look for something like mysite_opencart

Administrator

Post by Monikaelise » Sat Jan 31, 2009 6:55 am

in cpanel there is nothing called mysql. Would it be somewhere else?

Post by Geek » Mon Feb 02, 2009 10:50 am

Scroll through your cPanel to the "Databases" section then click on either, "MySQL Databases" or "MySQL® Database Wizard"

The "MySQL Databases" will list all know databases that have been created and are being used.
Your username should start with something like 'blewhost_' then whatever database name was given to it.

The "MySQL® Database Wizard" will walk you through the steps to setup and create a new and empty database It should allow
you the option to either, create your own password or generate an very strong and secure password. Your choice. Then, once
you have completed the wizard, it will give you all the login information for the user that your set up to access the database.
Make sure you also assign 'ALL PRIVILEGES' to allow the user, that you created, to have full and complete access to the database.

~Simplygeek.net

Location - Cyberspace, the final frontier...

Post by lsgxtremes » Fri Feb 20, 2009 1:59 pm

In order to make the installation process easy for end users to a level that they could "Do It Yourself" or DIY, hosting companies have put in the easy installer softwares like simple scripts.
The traditional way was to do it the "manual" way. Thats like go create a database for your desired application and then create and assign a user to that database. Then go ahead and install the software in question (like the wonderful OpenCart) and provide the details (typically database name, database username and database password).
Since this seemed a daunting task for many laymen, stuff like simple scripts came in being and made life easier for them. However as some point of time every1 would need to use the traditional way of installation, if the need arises... hence the explanation here.
I am sure you could always ask people here for help whenever you have to do manual installation and people like Geek and Qphoria would always help, thats what makes it this forum, rite?
With all the help I received I made my estore >> http://www.LSGLive.com O0 [ I just love this smiley and wanted to use it somewhere, lol ] I will write more about my site at the Live store section.
Keep using Open Cart, its a KISS software and the best out there.

Location - mumbai, India