Post by TomC » Thu Jul 19, 2012 1:38 am

NEWBIE DISCLAIMER:
I am brand new to OpenCart (and the OpenCart Community) and have only recently discovered that OpenCart may be the solution I have been looking for - as a virtual/viable alternative to Magento - for my eCommerce project I have been working on. So far, I am VERY impressed with most of what I have seen, researched and learned thus far . . . with a handful of additional thoughts and questions here and there about various features. So please forgive/bear with me if you see me posting a number of topic discussion threads on a number of particular issues/questions.

In any case, I spent a couple of hours going through the OpenCart Extension Directory - as well as researching for/through as many 3rd-Party OpenCart Extension/Theme Developers I could find (via Google Search) - and I was wondering if anyone has seen or thought about an extension/component for a BUSINESS DIRECTORY feature for integration with OpenCart.

As an example of what I'm talking/thinking about - albeit for a different CMS platform - see MOSETS TREE

Has anyone either seen something similar for integration with OpenCart ??

If not, any thoughts as to possible development of such a component ??

Looking forward to any thoughts, comments and/or insight you might have.

TOM

Location - California (USA)

Post by Avvici » Sat Jul 21, 2012 11:10 pm

I think that there already is an extension for this but I can't find it anymore due to the new extension store system making people insert tags per extension. It is a really good idea...which leads me to believe it's already been done.

Expert Member

Location - Asheville, NC

Post by TomC » Sun Jul 22, 2012 2:38 am

avvici wrote:I think that there already is an extension for this but I can't find it anymore due to the new extension store system making people insert tags per extension. It is a really good idea...which leads me to believe it's already been done.
What/Which "tags" or category within the Extension Directory do you think such a pre-existing extension would be?

Post by TomC » Tue Jul 24, 2012 11:34 pm

Any update or further information/thoughts ??

:)

Post by TomC » Fri Aug 03, 2012 2:59 am

Anyone ??

Anyone ??

Bueller ??

Bueller ??

:-\

Post by TomC » Tue Aug 14, 2012 11:33 pm

Not giving up on this one . . .

Surely there is an ambitious uber OC Developer out there who sees the potential in this idea.
Haven't seen anything like it (yet) for OpenCart - so someone has an opportunity to be the pioneer !!!

;)

Again, here are some examples (for reference) . . .

- Mosets Tree

- phpMyDirectory

- iDev Business Directory

- eSyndicat

C'mon OC Developers ... let's see you put those dev skills to the test ...I DARE YOU !!!

;)

Post by Avvici » Tue Aug 14, 2012 11:45 pm

I see that. Looks like it's not around. I can do this one for you though if you like. PM me if interested I let you know how much and how long.

Expert Member

Location - Asheville, NC

Post by TomC » Wed Aug 15, 2012 12:37 am

avvici wrote:I see that. Looks like it's not around. I can do this one for you though if you like. PM me if interested I let you know how much and how long.
I suppose this could be a "private" project . . . though I strongly believe one would realize the potential for significant purchases were one to develop something like this for the OpenCart Community (i.e. to be offered via the OC Extension Directory).

Perhaps one might use one of the above examples - such as phpMyDirectory or Mosets Tree as a basic framework for an OC compatible solution.

:)

Post by TomC » Wed Aug 29, 2012 11:48 pm

Anyone ??

Anyone ??

Bueller ??

Bueller ??

:-\

Post by TomC » Thu Nov 08, 2012 1:21 pm

Ran across this extension and was thinking that it COULD - with some modification - serve as a relatively decent Business Directory type extension (in addition to it's intended purpose) . . . .

http://theopencartdemo.themagicalworks. ... extras/faq

Thoughts ???

Post by localwhois » Wed Jan 06, 2016 5:39 pm

I am brand new to OpenCart (and the OpenCart Community) and have only recently discovered that OpenCart may be the solution I have been looking for - as a virtual/viable alternative to Magento - for my eCommerce project I have been working on. So far, I am VERY impressed with most of what I have seen, researched and learned thus far . . . with a handful of additional thoughts and questions here and there about various features. So please forgive/bear with me if you see me posting a number of topic discussion threads on a number of particular issues/questions.

In any case, I spent a couple of hours going through the OpenCart Extension Directory - as well as researching for/through as many 3rd-Party OpenCart Extension/Theme Developers I could find (via Google Search) - and I was wondering if anyone has seen or thought about an extension/component for a BUSINESS DIRECTORYfeature for integration with OpenCart.

As an example of what I'm talking/thinking about - albeit for a different CMS platform - see MOSETS TREE

Has anyone either seen something similar for integration with OpenCart ??

If not, any thoughts as to possible development of such a component ??

Looking forward to any thoughts, comments and/or insight you might have.

TOM
hi tom,
I think that there already is an extension for this but I can't find it anymore due to the new extension store system making people insert tags per extension. It is a really good idea...which leads me to believe it's already been done.

Post by TomC » Thu Jan 07, 2016 12:19 am

I know there is a great one for Joomla (Mosets Tree) - but I'd much rather keep it within the OpenCart format/structure than have to set it up as a separate site with a different CMS.

If you come across anything, let me/us know. ;D

Post by straightlight » Sun Feb 14, 2016 4:52 am

An easier feature development feature could be simplified by developing groups of categories which could either indicate to customers the various categories you would have for Business or personal use. Dynamic groups could also be showing under the already existing categories tree on the store-front end. Since sub-categories can already be attached with other sub-categories and main categories from the admin-end, it wouldn't be quite complicated to add another relation to the existing tree that would depend on groups of categories.

Looks like an easy task to add. The only downside are the already existing queries loaded into the category models from the admin and catalog-end which could easily interfere with other contributions since categories and products modifications are typically the main subjects that merchants may request on an everyday basis.

Although, it is quite unfortunate to see that you seem to have been posting this request for a long time now.

Dedication and passion goes to those who are able to push and merge a project.

Regards,
Straightlight
Programmer / Opencart Tester

Legendary Member

Location - Canada, ON

Location - New Zealand (Tokomaru, Palmerston North)