Community Forums

Theme Framework, concept share

Coding & concept discussion for OpenCart v1.x development

Theme Framework, concept share

Postby qahar » Mon Feb 20, 2012 2:21 pm

Right now I'm developing a theme framework, not decide the name yet but at least it's already 60% done. And I can't hold my self to share the concept here hehee..

I develope a theme framework because my concern about how an extension -sometime- not work seamlessly with a themes nowadays, vice versa. When someone develope an extension or a theme, they will always start to use the default Opencart feature, either default theme or modules. And with this framework, if an extension work with Opencart default theme, it will work seamlessly with the framework.

Now we already have vQmod to solve some development problem, but we need a boilerplate code to make a good theme without messing the Opencart system. So I decide to deprecate my eManager and use some part of them for the framework with ton of improvement. I develope the framework with three key concept: design possibilities, product compatibility and user experience.

This Theme Framework will be available for free, released under the MIT and GPL licenses. All developer will be allowed to use the framework for their commercial project, including for commercial themes they sold. I will include the detail when release.

My target right now is Done and Working (ETA 3rd week of March).

Here some list of the concept ( already done):
  1. The framework use an xml file as theme profiles to ensure there is no conflict when user use two or more themes based on the framework.
  2. At theme_profiles.xml file you will see:
    1. Theme identity: name, version, author, list of vqmod file, list of module position supported by theme.
    2. List of vQmod: used on theme activation. When a theme activated on Opencart setting page, vqmod file belong to current theme will be enabled and other theme vqmod will be disabled to avoid conflict.
    3. Module position: automatically insert the position to all modules on Opencart admin.
  3. Theme manager (including snippet code) and stylesheet editor that used to be part of -unreleased- eManager (lol...).
  4. Builtin two type megamenu: compact and plain (sreenshot). Plus snippet code (basic editor) to customize through admin page.
  5. Use html5 and css3; plus microdata (need more test).
  6. and more..

And here some screenshot of it:
Module Positions.gif
Default module position
Module Positions.gif (11.46 KiB) Viewed 5162 times

Template-changes-admin-setting.png
Opencart admin setting page
Template-changes-admin-setting.png (103.13 KiB) Viewed 5162 times

Megamenu-plain.png
Megamenu: plain
Megamenu-plain.png (99.33 KiB) Viewed 5162 times

Megamenu-compact.png
Megamenu: compact
Megamenu-compact.png (230.29 KiB) Viewed 5162 times

What you think guys? share your minds..
My product: Opencart Blog Manager Free System Information OpenCart Shortcodes
OpencartNews - News, Tutorial n Tips - Common OpenCart Errors and How to Solve Them
Don't forget to add [SOLVED] to your Thread Title (first post), if your issue is solved.
qahar

Re: Theme Framework, concept share

Postby florinsith » Mon Feb 20, 2012 2:48 pm

Great ideea! Though I dont understand how will the new module positions be available for all modules? Let me know if I can help somehow.
florinsith

Postby qahar » Mon Feb 20, 2012 3:28 pm

florinsith wrote:Great ideea! Though I dont understand how will the new module positions be available for all modules?

I use vQmoda wildcard feature: admin/view/template/module/*.tpl
And search: <?php echo $module_row; ?>][position] and [' + module_row + '][position]
Add code after it: from the list of module position supported by the theme (theme_profiles.xml)

florinsith wrote:Let me know if I can help somehow.

Thank you for your offer, really appreciate it. You can help me test it when it comes :)
OpencartNews - News, Tutorial n Tips - Common OpenCart Errors and How to Solve Them
Don't forget to add [SOLVED] to your Thread Title (first post), if your issue is solved.
qahar

Postby Lisaweb » Mon Feb 20, 2012 8:50 pm

Wow, this is an INCREDIBLE amount of effort here. Really appreciate your contributions toward this code.
Using OC v1.5.4.1 with Evisu Theme
Lisaweb

Postby senti » Tue Feb 21, 2012 12:05 am

Way to go! This is a great concept and right approach to make Opencart best shopping cart ever.Opencart developers should take it into consideration for future releases.Keep up the good work Qahar!
senti

Postby qahar » Sat Feb 25, 2012 10:42 am

As we know, a module only able to show on one layout; based on spesific layout, route layout or store layout (How Layout System Work). The first one will deprecate the next. If we want the same module able to show on several (say 5) layout. With the curent layout system, we need to make 5 same module to show on 5 different layout.

I'm doing several test to "fix" Opencart -module- layout limitation, where a module (admin) able to choose several layout at a time. And in the front, module still able to show based on spesific layout, route or store default (and of course, the "default" layout will show on all pages).

To test it, I use 3 welcome module and 1 latest module. I give you some screenshot:

welcome_admin.png
module able to choose several layout
welcome_admin.png (8.49 KiB) Viewed 4917 times

sitemap.png
"default" layout will make a module show on all pages
sitemap.png (20.51 KiB) Viewed 4917 times

contact.png
Module 1 (red) show on contact and information page because assigned to two layout.
contact.png (23.85 KiB) Viewed 4917 times

information.png
information.png (24.54 KiB) Viewed 4917 times

Also part of the test, I'm try to set a Layout to have multiple "route".
layout-multi-route-1.png
A layout with multiple route
layout-multi-route-1.png (7.05 KiB) Viewed 4917 times

layout-multi-route-2.png
Result of multiple route on a Layout
layout-multi-route-2.png (18.18 KiB) Viewed 4917 times

The advantage of this modification:
  1. Able to set a module to several layout.
  2. A Layout able to have multiple route.
  3. Since "default" layout show module on all page, we can make top & bottom menu with just one module.
  4. Or may be we will see all theme features become modular in the future, i.e. search, menu, breadcrumbs etc.
  5. And if all modules have "class suffix" input, it will increasing the design possibility.

Until I write this post I'm still unable to modificate all necessary file to work seamlessly.
Well If I'm still unable to make it work seamlessly with most modules, this feature will not available on first released (may be the upgrade - hope so)

Thank you to JAY6390 for the vQmod Regex, the modification work seamlessly on Opencart default module. Need more test for other extension modules.
qahar

Postby qahar » Wed Feb 29, 2012 4:03 pm

Right know I use clean white design for Theme Manager, and automatically check custom Theme Manager themes. So if you want to rebrand the Theme Manager design, it's just simply provide custom stylesheet.

And adding new tab setting is easy since it's designed modular. And the data will be automatically available on frontpage.

Teaser for the Theme Manager:

theme-manager-1.jpg
theme-manager-1.jpg (172.77 KiB) Viewed 4836 times

theme-manager-2.jpg
theme-manager-2.jpg (91.59 KiB) Viewed 4836 times
qahar

Postby cmrdirect » Fri Mar 16, 2012 9:44 am

How far are we away from seeing the fruits of this labour.

Your compact megamenu is delightfully formatted (as is the content on your blog manager) and I want to know if I should hang on for your theme manager, or other goodies, or go with the theme I have now in place, as I want to launch in about 2-3 weeks.

Kurt
cmrdirect

Postby qahar » Fri Mar 16, 2012 10:52 am

Even if I able to provide Octave Framework this month, I'm sure the documentation isn't ready yet.

So, if your plan is to launch site on 2-3 weeks, my suggest is stick with it, generate traffic and make some money. You can change your site whenever you want in the future. :)
qahar

Postby garyton » Sat Mar 24, 2012 11:04 am

Hello~
was wondering when this theme framework megemenu is available to try out? it looks quite interesting...
garyton

Postby qahar » Mon Mar 26, 2012 4:32 am

About two weeks ago I decided to separate the framework from the theme, this mean framework update will much easier.
But the consequence is I need to develope a "boilerplate" sample theme. So everyone will understand how to develope theme using the Octave Framework feature. After everything is done, I will ask some developer to do private-test.

I'm already miss the first ETA, so I don't want to make another ETA. Sorry.
qahar

Postby aurevilly » Wed May 09, 2012 1:07 pm

I must say I'm quite impressed by your development, Qahar. I just bought the Blog Manager module and it works great.

If you need a private tester, let me know.

Thanks.
aurevilly

Postby visnetmedia » Wed Jun 06, 2012 6:14 pm

Hi I would love to be a tester as well I don't sell themes but build them for clients.
visnetmedia

Postby qahar » Thu Jun 07, 2012 10:39 am

@aurevilly n @visnetmedia sure, will contact when it's ready
qahar

Postby cmrdirect » Sat Mar 23, 2013 2:28 pm

Did the octave framework ever get published ?
cmrdirect

Postby qahar » Thu Mar 28, 2013 11:36 am

cmrdirect wrote:Did the octave framework ever get published ?

No, not even the beta version is published.

When I share the concept, I have tons of idea. But then I realize it's very pain to deal with OpenCart update.
Has been rewritten several times, some features delayed (not to say removed) and till now is still under alpha development.
qahar

Postby marvmen21 » Sun May 19, 2013 9:32 pm

Well this seems a wonderful idea! I hope you can continue developing.

Regards,

Marvin
You want to thank me for my time! :) Click here to donate
marvmen21

Return to Concepts