Post by PaulDT » Fri Aug 18, 2017 4:24 pm

As the title suggests, how can I charge just 20% of the cart total at the gateway?

eg: If the cart total is $100, when the user click on buy now using a gateway such as paypal, the fee to pay in paypal is only $20 (ie: 20%) not $100.

I mean without applying discount vouchers etc... By actually modifying the code.

Anyone here have a clue?

Post by MrPhil » Sun Aug 20, 2017 9:32 pm

I'm sure it can be done, but under what circumstances? If it applies to everyone, why not just lower your prices by 80%? You'll get more sales completed with a lower sticker price, than with a later surprise (?) discount. You could have your real price, and a separate "compare to" or "MSRP" high price (as long as you can justify it as a realistic comparison price). You might even get into legal trouble by giving one price on the checkout page, and a different one (even if lower) on the actual payment. Does it apply only to specific customers (e.g., Buyer's Club, or wholesale to registered parties)? They should still see the lower price before they commit to the purchase. Does it apply only to PayPal, and not other payment methods? I know they don't like you increasing prices to cover PP fees, but I don't know if they object to your reducing fees. It seems like you could leave an awful lot of money on the table. Anyway, check the legality of charging a different price than what the customer agreed to, even if it's lower.

Post by Johnathan » Mon Aug 21, 2017 10:10 pm

Paul, I believe I've discussed this with you, but for others: Payment-Based Fee/Discount can do this. You can give a 20% (or 80%, if that's what you want) discount for certain customers when they choose a particular payment gateway.

This would be an Order Total line item outside the payment method code, but if you want to modify it yourself, you'd need to do so in the payment method controller code. You'd need to do it for every payment method where you want the discount.

Image Image Image Image Image

Administrator