Post by Qphoria » Tue May 25, 2010 1:12 pm

Well re-posting the CSRF discussion is hardly helpful, and since it really doesn't follow this topic, I am just going to remove it. Daniel made his apology to the OP a few posts down and the CSRF issue has been fixed in the next version. The world keeps on spinnin'.

Administrator

Post by Daniel » Tue May 25, 2010 7:23 pm

People seem to think this is some sort of company and i'm running this imaginary company. its not. its an open source project. i'm the lead developer. I make very little money from this project. Just enough to cover the costs of hosting etc.. I don't have a single client from opencart.

I'm fine with anybody coming to the forums with a problem or to discuss development etc.. I get pissed at people coming in the forums and start cristising the project when they themselves misunderstand OOP practices. Which is clearly the case here.

The guy recommends smarty. Some how OpenCart needs smarty?

Theres also all the peopel that decide to fork opencart and start messaging people telling them that the project is dead or they have produced a better version of OC. Seriously what kind of reponse would you give?

Thank you very much for your input!

Also I have been getting emails telling me not to disrepect the OC community recently. I'm not disrepecting the community. Just the ones that are disrepecting and cristising the project.

OpenCart®
Project Owner & Developer.

Administrator

Post by benjamin » Tue May 25, 2010 8:26 pm

Daniel, just continue the good work as you done in the past!

Enjoy the contributions and recommendations of those community members who like OC and would like to support you.
Forget about all of those who are stealing the work or rail at the project.

Thanks for yours and Qphorias work at this point!

--------------------------------------------------------
Bar54 | Toys in Capetown | Catering in Stuttgart

Location - Germany

Post by snakelab » Wed Jul 28, 2010 8:01 pm

Amen.

Post by NoxArt » Fri Sep 16, 2011 2:57 am

Wow, I am stunned by the violent response to the OP's first message.

He simply and neutrally listed some feedback for the OpenCart and he was cursed at by OC's representative (I assume)... that's very very saddening

These were just tips and the OC doesn't have to be perfect and does not have to follow it to the letter. I actually met opinions that it was the simpler code that enabled Wordpress to have so many extensions

This DID NOT mean not acknowledging the contributions and the time spent by the authors ... I for one am grateful for it and do thank for OC, no really - thank you!

Still I have to agree with almost every point OP mentioned ... if we really want to look at the code there are imho some really bad areas - for me for example the huge presence of copy&paste (http://pastie.org/2454665 for one)

---
I agree that Kohana is a bunch of static classes and it's not good, still doesn't mean OC uses OOP to it's potential

The trailing ?> IS a source of issues - I just started with OC and yet encountered it twice, the page got broken because there was a whitespace after ?> in the controller! Might have been an extension, still, could have been avoided

Framework is not only MVC, there can surely be support for authentication/authorization - and if you know OOP you should know it does not matter how the actual implementation would look like
---

And there are some good areas too: imho the filestructure allows for a very quick locating the files needed. The code - no matter the other stuff - keeps identical structure and philosophy

Instead of offending you should be greatful somebody actually *spent their time to give you some advice*

Manners people, this is not how a mature person would behave

Post by tdaubs » Mon May 21, 2012 4:27 am

It took me a while to decide whether to post in this thread for two reasons. I didn't want to resurrect a thread that should probably stay dead and I didn't know if I could add anything meaningful to the discussion.

After a bit of thought, here am I.... THE VOICE OF REASON! Just kidding. :)

I don't see either the feedback or the response as being terribly helpful for Opencart.

The individual providing feedback failed in one key area illustrated by the Mary Poppins song, 'A spoonful of sugar helps the medicine go down'. Even if the feedback was perfectly true, it doesn't matter if you can't deliver it in a way that the recipient can swallow. If you tell an overweight person, 'Hey! Lose some weight you big fat pig!" the person is not going to be motivated to lose weight but REALLY motivated to GET MAD! Yes, the example is exaggerated but the simple truth remains... if providing nothing but negative criticism about Opencart and virtually nothing positive except what 'lured' him, the feedback really comes off as more of an attack on Opencart as opposed to really trying to be helpful.

Daniel reacted as most would when someone criticizes you with such a pointy stick. Like others, I don't think his initial response helped the matter whatsoever. However, don't we all have a bad day from time to time and say or do something we wish we hadn't? However, since Daniel apologized and this thread really isn't offering much benefit to the community or the project (the thread is kinda easy to find on Google), why not just remove it?

Opencart Support . Opencart Galaxy . Buy Me a Coffee?

Location - Southern California

Post by Nimitz1061 » Tue May 22, 2012 12:33 am

Well, I myself am rather glad it IS still here.

Maybe this thread is not a shining example of polite discourse from beginning to end, but it is something else - a good example of mature conversation, honestly conducted in the real world where we may all have our off days. It also includes some excellent information on Daniel's design philosophy that I'd hate to lose, as I work on writing up technical aspects of the cart.

Personally, I disagree with rewriting or destroying threads like this. Even if everybody agrees to do so, it is a short step from lying together to lying to each other -- the death knell of meaningful discussions.

David

Specializing in secure Hosting 4 OpenCart based eCommerce websites.

Location - United States

Post by morningtime » Wed Jul 25, 2012 10:26 pm

OpenCart is the perfect low-end system for low-end users and low-end developers!

--

cstuder wrote:
Coding guidelines
The trailing ?> are also not required and always the source for potential problems.

Daniel replied:
Idiot

--

Whitespace after ?> can cause a "headers already sent" error on certain server setups. If you didn't know that, then you're a low-end developer.

Post by TomC » Wed Jul 25, 2012 11:16 pm

morningtime wrote:OpenCart is the perfect low-end system for low-end users and low-end developers!
And I suppose you - being a "high end developer/user"- have developed a far superior higher-end system?

::)

Location - California (USA)