Post by Qphoria » Thu Mar 11, 2010 12:50 pm

When looking to remove a function, first announce that function will be deprecated. This deprecated function is left untouched for the next full version to allow ample time for developers to update their code.

Between completely destroying a perfectly good language class and now removing the url class, you are about to chase away all 3rd party developers for this project. This is the kind of actions that make people start leaning to forking the project, and that is like a messy divorce. Think of the kids!

I'll go ahead and assume that $this->redirect->post will be removed next and start using $_POST.

These are just ridiculous changes for the sake of making them. The whole point of using the https function with fallback to http was so that you always had a backup. Now I see files like pp_standard have:
HTTP_SERVER . 'index.php?route=payment/pp_standard/callback';

which is wrong. It should be HTTPS if available and fallback to HTTP if not available.

This is just becoming a mess now.

Administrator

Post by Qphoria » Thu Mar 11, 2010 1:14 pm

For those developers who don't feel like changing all their modules for this change, you can easily add the url class back in:

1. Upload the attached url.php file to the system/engine path

2. EDIT: index.php & admin/index.php

3. FIND:

Code: Select all

// Cache
$registry->set('cache', new Cache());
4. AFTER, ADD:

Code: Select all

// Q: Restore the Url class
require_once(DIR_SYSTEM . 'engine/url.php');
$registry->set('url', new Url());
Now you can continue using the url class

This is also a fix for people using mods that give errors about unknown method http or https.

Attachments

Administrator

Post by imaginetech » Thu Mar 11, 2010 2:15 pm

Been watching for how long the fork word would take to come up. This is exactly where this project is heading.

Apart from the "this is so cool, I'm going to wet my pants" crowd, there seems to be quite a bit of frustration building which now seems to be spilling over to the forum mods.

www.opencartstore.com
Get OpenCart Templates and OpenCart Modules.

Location - Darwin, Australia

Post by dbstr » Thu Mar 11, 2010 3:16 pm

My question in the 1.4.2 thread didnt get answered, so here we go again, in hope for an answer:
dbstr wrote:
Daniel wrote:Basicly the url class was pretty stuiped. it should not have existed at all. whch frameworks have a url class like the one I used? I might as well just have used 2 functions.

Sorry for th ecore change but i think thats the last one i will do thats that big.
Sorry to ask, but what was wrong with it? Why was it stupid?

I'm asking because I'm going to add it again, unless you can give me a good reason. I haven't been playing around with 1.4.x much yet, but that URL change doesn't make sense to me.

Request Reviews v1.0 released.

Administrator

Post by Daniel » Fri Mar 12, 2010 9:07 pm

The url class should never have been used in the first place.

no other project uses a url class.

I'm sorry but I wanted to do it now so i won;t have to do it in the future.

I'm going to be adding a upgrade feture built into OC and want to get the framework as right as I can. I will not include stuff just to keep up with backwards compatibility.

if your store is running fine then ddon;t bother upgrading. if you are selling modifcations than that is changing the code to keep up with the current coding is somethign you have to do.

I really can not think of any more core changes I plan to do so stiop complaining.

OpenCart®
Project Owner & Developer.

Administrator

Post by Qphoria » Sat Mar 13, 2010 12:07 am

I don't see how "other" projects matter in this case but not other cases.
But still, when removing classes or functions then that would be a "1.5" thing. If you could follow some sort of valid versioning system then people would bitch less.

1.3.4 should be 1.4.0 since the layout system changed
1.4.0 should be 1.5.0 since the template system and engine code (router to action) and language class was destroyed
1.4.1 should be 1.6.0 since the url class was destroyed.
1.4.2 should be 1.6.1 since it is just bug fixes.

Then we can say that modules work with 1.4.x or 1.5.x. If we are worried about "other" projects, you will notice projects like Firefox, SMF, Wordpress, Website Baker, Drupal.. they all maintain a level of functionality for that build for the "Major" version numbers. SMF 1.0.x supports all 1.0.x mods from 1.0.0 to 1.0.9

Administrator

Post by Qphoria » Sat Mar 13, 2010 12:10 am

Here is a topic on versioning
http://sdesmedt.wordpress.com/2006/06/1 ... numbering/
And the winner is…

We use a scheme based on the apache definition.

Version numbering of binaries:

{major.minor.bugfix.build}

* major: Any change can be made. Available functionality can be removed and new functionality can be added.
* minor: All available functionality must remain available and can not be changed. New functionality can be added.
* bugfix: Only implementations of functions and methods can change. There will be no added functionality (no added methods, functions or parameters) or changed semantics (of funcions, methods or parameters)
* build: We use the buildnumber to differentiate builds of a same {major.minor.bugfix} combination. When we start development, we decide on the kind of development we do (adding features (breaking/non-breaking) or bugfixing) and decide on the next versionnumber. From then on, the library gets this versionnumber. It’s as if we are saying: “we are working toward version x.y.z”. Of course, we don’t get there immediately and to differentiate between these “working toward” versions, we use the buildnumber.

According to that article, version would be completely different regarding the way you make changes. Almost every point release you make its like a major version. We should be on OpenCart 9.x by now

Administrator

Post by George Kinsman » Sun Mar 14, 2010 2:01 pm

I'm actually running a live cart on 1.4.0, and I'm not going to upgrade because if I do, all the customisations I've made to make the cart actually work, will be lost.

This is what happens when you follow a hideously broken upgrade scheme, and will be the first thing that drives away potential users.

Post by i2Paq » Sun Mar 14, 2010 8:04 pm

Qphoria wrote:I don't see how "other" projects matter in this case but not other cases.
But still, when removing classes or functions then that would be a "1.5" thing. If you could follow some sort of valid versioning system then people would bitch less.

1.3.4 should be 1.4.0 since the layout system changed
1.4.0 should be 1.5.0 since the template system and engine code (router to action) and language class was destroyed
1.4.1 should be 1.6.0 since the url class was destroyed.
1.4.2 should be 1.6.1 since it is just bug fixes.

Then we can say that modules work with 1.4.x or 1.5.x. If we are worried about "other" projects, you will notice projects like Firefox, SMF, Wordpress, Website Baker, Drupal.. they all maintain a level of functionality for that build for the "Major" version numbers. SMF 1.0.x supports all 1.0.x mods from 1.0.0 to 1.0.9
I totaly agree.
This is a must for users and 3rd party contributors.

Norman in 't Veldt
Moderator OpenCart Forums

_________________ READ and Search BEFORE POSTING _________________

Our FREE search: Find your answer FAST!.

[How to] BTW + Verzend + betaal setup.

Global Moderator

Location - Winkel - The Netherlands

Post by peteVA » Sun Mar 14, 2010 11:07 pm

imaginetech wrote:Been watching for how long the fork word would take to come up. This is exactly where this project is heading.

Apart from the "this is so cool, I'm going to wet my pants" crowd, there seems to be quite a bit of frustration building which now seems to be spilling over to the forum mods.
How true.

Just imagine where this would be if there were just a bit a management and organization, rather than just coding for the sake of coding.

Not to mention the "it's mine and I'll do what I want" attitude.

A Trusted Wholesale Dropshipper
Web Hosting Under $ 5.00 Month! FREE Shopping Carts!
25,000+ Real Wholesale & Dropship Sources!

Post by Daniel » Mon Mar 15, 2010 5:26 am

many people have made forks and nothings become of their projects.

This project is getting to a stage where I can not do everything myself and I have a plan to get some help but it these things take time. at the moment the plan is togeth the latest version rock solid stable.

OpenCart®
Project Owner & Developer.

Administrator

Post by Johnathan » Mon Mar 15, 2010 9:54 am

Daniel wrote:This project is getting to a stage where I can not do everything myself and I have a plan to get some help but it these things take time. at the moment the plan is togeth the latest version rock solid stable.
Hear, hear! :)

Image Image Image Image Image

Administrator

Post by i2Paq » Mon Mar 15, 2010 3:15 pm

Daniel wrote:This project is getting to a stage where I can not do everything myself and I have a plan to get some help but it these things take time.
I think you only have to ask here on these forums for help.

You know that we have enough quality coders here so what is holding you back?

Norman in 't Veldt

Global Moderator

Post by Qphoria » Mon Mar 15, 2010 8:46 pm

I'm guessing pride 8)

Administrator

Post by peteVA » Tue Mar 16, 2010 12:50 am

Daniel wrote: This project is getting to a stage where I can not do everything myself and I have a plan to get some help but it these things take time. at the moment the plan is togeth the latest version rock solid stable.
It's past that point. While not a coder myself, I can recall many offering their help weeks ago.

Some seem to have vanished in the meantime, given up I suppose.

Even some of your most loyal supporters are discussing forks.

Looks like one is alive and doing well - http://phpsoftwaregeeks.com/shopping-cart/index.php

Post by Qphoria » Tue Mar 16, 2010 2:46 am

peteVA wrote: Looks like one is alive and doing well - http://phpsoftwaregeeks.com/shopping-cart/index.php
Looks like they are including my uspslive module in their demo. I'd best not see it in their live cart

Administrator

Post by rph » Tue Mar 16, 2010 3:16 am

$200 for OpenCart 1.3.4 with an ugly template. What a deal!

-Ryan

rph
Expert Member

Location - Lincoln, Nebraska

Post by peteVA » Tue Mar 16, 2010 3:25 am

I've even gotten a nasty email from the "owner". Says I should not have posted the link and would I please remove it.

A couple of days ago he flatly denied it was OC, wondered if I was crazy or something to confuse them. At least the others who tried admitted the source.

Even now getting further emails asking for "consideration".

Would be nice to see some fork it off and fix it, taking care of some of the major faults that have been discussed over the last few weeks and setting out with an organized system of versions and planned changes.

Post by i2Paq » Tue Mar 16, 2010 3:35 am

peteVA wrote:I've even gotten a nasty email from the "owner". Says I should not have posted the link and would I please remove it.

A couple of days ago he flatly denied it was OC, wondered if I was crazy or something to confuse them. At least the others who tried admitted the source.

Even now getting further emails asking for "consideration".
He's just stealing some others work!
Would be nice to see some fork it off and fix it, taking care of some of the major faults that have been discussed over the last few weeks and setting out with an organized system of versions and planned changes.
Why?

Like they did with osCommerce and ZenCart, osCMax etc.?

I agree that Daniel would be better of if he would accept the help that is offered here on these forums by coders I think highly of.
I slightly hope that after his
Daniel wrote:This project is getting to a stage where I can not do everything myself and I have a plan to get some help but it these things take time.
he will see that there is a lot of help waiting to be given to him in so many ways to get this project to a higher lever.

....., but then again, it is his Cart.

Norman in 't Veldt

Global Moderator