Post by fido-x » Thu Mar 12, 2009 7:13 pm

Featured Products/Special Offers
A "Latest Products" function is already included on the home page, to this has been added "Featured Products" and "Special Offers" functions – built into the home page, and configurable from the administration.
The "Latest Products" function has also been modified to display a random selection of products, as long as they have not been tagged as "Featured" or "Special Offer" products.
While the "Featured Products/Special Offers" functions on the home page only display a limited number of products, the included "Featured Products & Special Offers" pages allow you to display all featured and special offer products on their own pages.

Events Calendar
This package provides you with the ability to list upcoming functions (sales, exhibitions, etc.) by year, month or day.
The column module displays a calendar which highlights the event dates.
Can be incorporated into the home page to automatically display messages when your events start and end.

News Pages
This package provides a set of news pages and a column module.
The main entry page contains a listing of the headlines and first two sentences of each story with a "read more" link to the main story page.
The column module displays the first sentence of the most recent news stories with a "read more" link to the story page. Can be enabled/disabled and limit set from the administration.

Homepage Package
Although Version 1.x of OpenCart has provision for a welcome message to be stored in the databse, it only allows for a single message. This package provides the necessary functionality for the placing of additional content on your home page.

You can get any or all of these modules/enhancements from http://www.fido-x.net.

PS: You can view a demo of the administration at http://demostore.fido-x.net/cart1x/admin (username "demo" password "demo").

Modules for OpenCart 2.3.0.2
Homepage Module [Free - since OpenCart 0.7.7]
Multistore Extensions
Store Manager Multi-Vendor/Multi-Store management tool

If you're not living on the edge ... you're taking up too much space!

Expert Member

Location - Tasmania, Australia

Post by Qphoria » Thu Mar 12, 2009 9:11 pm

Regarding the "Featured" & "Special Offer" products... and this is something I questioned in the original 0.x version as well.... what is the point? Since both are designed as "yes/no" flags... the only thing it really does is add the products to a particular group on the home page, but really in the way they are used, they are the same thing.

What is really needed is as Specials contrib that allows sale prices, like the original price in black with a strikeout, and the red "sale" price under it. Then, those "special" products should be pulled into the "Special offer" box on the front page. That would truly make it those items considered "Specials".

Administrator

Post by fido-x » Thu Mar 12, 2009 9:42 pm

I understand where you're coming from, however, I would think that featured products are products you would want the (potential) customer to take notice of, while special offers could have a discount applied, thus giving it a "sale" price.

Alternatively, special offers could be just that, special offers, for example a 2 for 1 deal, or it might be something that you can no longer get because it is no longer being manufactured and you are making it special for that reason. The point being that just because something is tagged as a "Special Offer" does not necessarily imply that the price has been changed, that's merely an assumption.

Multistore Extensions

Expert Member

Post by SparxGroup » Fri Mar 13, 2009 4:09 am

Yep I agree.

How hard would it actually be to have a Old Price: and then Todays Price. Or like an RRP Price, and then the normal price, and a percentage they save. I know customers like seeing this as they think they are saving more etc.

Loads of carts have this, I guess it's just implementing it into the core...

Post by Nahuel » Fri Mar 13, 2009 9:55 am

Fido, thanks for the modules! They're a great addon.

On the thing you're talking, maybe the module developed by iloveopencart may work.
I'm referring to this addon (2 prices).

When I have some free time, I'll attempt to do an integration. I think it should be possible.

Post by fido-x » Fri Mar 13, 2009 10:53 am

Nahuel wrote:Fido, thanks for the modules! They're a great addon.

On the thing you're talking, maybe the module developed by iloveopencart may work.
I'm referring to this addon (2 prices).

When I have some free time, I'll attempt to do an integration. I think it should be possible.
Thanks for the compliment.

Yeah, I suppose the 2 prices add-on is one way of going about it.

I'm in the process of updating the "Special Offers" component to include "Sale Price", "Sale Start Date" and "Sale End Date" facilities. I've got the administration side done already, I've just got the front-end to do. When that's done, I'll have an update for it. Should be finished later on today or tonight.

Multistore Extensions

Expert Member