Post by sn_oc » Fri Aug 03, 2012 4:34 pm

Hi,

My understanding of default categories implementation in OpenCart is as follows:
1. If I click on a category, it shows links for sub-categories and shows products linked to the clicked category. Now when I click on sub-category, it shows me the products for the sub-category.

How is it possible to show up the products at sub-category level ALSO at the category level since the products in sub-category are also part of category in a way.

Left to myself, as an end-user, I would want:
1. when I click on a category, I can see all the 'unique products' under that category tree (which includes products from sub-categories also under that category)
2. In addition, user has the option to refine the list by clicking on a particular sub-category, which is possible today also.
3. The step 1 will improve user experience tremendously in my opinion.

Just to summarize, current default implementation is :
- When I click on a category, I don't see all the products in that category tree (including sub-categories). I only see the products linked to the clicked category and a list of sub-categories. I want the products of sub-categories also to be shown here at the parent level.

Looking forward to some standard extensions to solve this problem.

Regards

Post by avvishnu » Wed Oct 03, 2012 5:03 pm

Please go to /catalog/controller/product folder and open category.php and find this code (Near Line no : 145)
" 'filter_category_id' => $category_id, " add this code " 'filter_sub_category' => true, " after that.
Then you can go to home page and click on the category it will show all the products under subcategories also.

Post by Johnathan » Wed Oct 03, 2012 9:31 pm

An easier way: since products can be in multiple categories, when you're adding products to categories, just add them to the category and its sub-categories as well.

Image Image Image Image Image

Administrator

Post by avvishnu » Thu Oct 04, 2012 1:46 am

if there is an 100 subcategories u need to add all those products under 100 categories to the main category its not easy way. Better do add the code in the previous message.