Post by keiron1992 » Sun Feb 17, 2019 3:22 am

Hi OC Gurus!

When I add a customer manually via the admin interface, is there a way I can send an email to the customer asking them to create a password instead of me having to type one in?

Alternatively is there an extension to do this?

If not, I understand I can implement this myself using the Event System. I've read https://github.com/opencart/opencart/wiki/Events-System but I'm struggling to get my head around it.

Thanks in advance,
Keiron

Location - Birmingham, West Midlands, Uk

Post by straightlight » Sun Feb 17, 2019 4:26 am

OC version?

Dedication and passion goes to those who are able to push and merge a project.

Regards,
Straightlight
Programmer / Opencart Tester

Legendary Member

Location - Canada, ON

Post by IP_CAM » Sun Feb 17, 2019 4:34 am

Well, a more simple way would probably be, to add a Customer the 'regular' way,
by use of the Front Side User Registration Page. One could then show the 'default' Password
in the 'regular' Reg-Confirmation eMail, among the urgent Advise, to immediately change it
to something secret, with a simple code change like this, in this File:
admin/language/en-gb/mail/customer_approve.php

Code: Select all

$_['text_login']   = 'Greetings! Your account has now been created. You can log in now, by using your email address and the temporary passwort: demo  . But replace this DEMO word imediately with your own Password, to keep your Account secure, in your Account Page on our website, at the following URL:';
Just a simple idea ...
Ernie
Last edited by IP_CAM on Sun Feb 17, 2019 4:38 am, edited 1 time in total.

My Github OC Site: https://github.com/IP-CAM
5'200 + FREE OC Extensions, on the World's largest private Github OC Repository Archive Site.

Legendary Member

Location - Switzerland

Post by straightlight » Sun Feb 17, 2019 4:37 am

It would rather be safer to generate a random password as the same as the password recovery page method already does. Then, to provide an email message to the user with that temporary password. Then, once the user updates his password (24 hours interval), he would have access to his account. Beyond 24 hours, to restrict access and needs to contact the store owner for a generic password or the account could also be removed automatically after 24 hours to free up database entries as well as to respect the GDPR law with account deletion on request.

Dedication and passion goes to those who are able to push and merge a project.

Regards,
Straightlight
Programmer / Opencart Tester

Legendary Member

Location - Canada, ON