Post by DanielLe010191 » Thu Aug 16, 2018 1:17 pm

Hi,

I am developing an online store for my client. The application uses OpenCart as the back-end CMS and a theme (under GPL as well) at the store front. Is it legal to change the copyright notice for both admin and store front sites as follow?
"Copyright 2018 <name of client company>"

I know that GPL is a license for free software that requires the GPL license to be preserved for distribution, however I do not fully understand all of its implications, especially the following text in the GNU GPLv3.
Requiring preservation of specified reasonable legal notices or author attributions in that material or in the Appropriate Legal Notices displayed by works containing it
I am not sure if this only requires attribution in the source code or copyright notice on the display of the site as well.
Notwithstanding any other provision of this License, for material you add to a covered work, you may (if authorized by the copyright holders of that material) supplement the terms of this License with terms:

a) Disclaiming warranty or limiting liability differently from the terms of sections 15 and 16 of this License; or
b) Requiring preservation of specified reasonable legal notices or author attributions in that material or in the Appropriate Legal Notices displayed by works containing it; or
c) Prohibiting misrepresentation of the origin of that material, or requiring that modified versions of such material be marked in reasonable ways as different from the original version; or
d) Limiting the use for publicity purposes of names of licensors or authors of the material; or
e) Declining to grant rights under trademark law for use of some trade names, trademarks, or service marks; or
f) Requiring indemnification of licensors and authors of that material by anyone who conveys the material (or modified versions of it) with contractual assumptions of liability to the recipient, for any liability that these contractual assumptions directly impose on those licensors and authors.

Post by OSWorX » Thu Aug 16, 2018 2:55 pm

To keep it short: yes and no.

Yes: you are allowed to remove all parts in any script displaying such copyright notices (e.g. like OC does at admin and shop) - visible or hidden.
No: you are not allowed to remove any part in any script which is a header notice and display nothing (internal notice).

But you are allowed to add your own lines (in case you will publish that script).
Because the GPL says also, that you are allowed to (re)publish any script .
And the GPL allows you also to recieve money for such - only for your service (changing, adding, bugfixing, available as file to download), not for the script itself.

In your case: you are entitled to remove any copyright notices.
But if you want to display such, you are not allowed to change existing that it might look the system is made by you (e.g. changing OpenCart to MyCompany).
You can add only.

Expert Member

Location - Austria

Post by paulfeakins » Thu Aug 16, 2018 5:36 pm

Yeah, no big ecommerce companies that run OpenCart would keep the "Powered by OpenCart" notice.

You don't see Facebook saying "Powered by PHP" at the bottom or listing all of the thousands of other technologies involved in making it work.

For quick, professional OpenCart support please email info@antropy.co.uk

Location - Reigate, Surrey, United Kingdom

Post by DanielLe010191 » Thu Aug 16, 2018 8:29 pm

OSWorX wrote:
Thu Aug 16, 2018 2:55 pm
To keep it short: yes and no.

Yes: you are allowed to remove all parts in any script displaying such copyright notices (e.g. like OC does at admin and shop) - visible or hidden.
No: you are not allowed to remove any part in any script which is a header notice and display nothing (internal notice).

But you are allowed to add your own lines (in case you will publish that script).
Because the GPL says also, that you are allowed to (re)publish any script .
And the GPL allows you also to recieve money for such - only for your service (changing, adding, bugfixing, available as file to download), not for the script itself.

In your case: you are entitled to remove any copyright notices.
But if you want to display such, you are not allowed to change existing that it might look the system is made by you (e.g. changing OpenCart to MyCompany).
You can add only.
Hi OSWorX,

Thanks for your reply.
I don't quite understand this bit "But if you want to display such, you are not allowed to change existing that it might look the system is made by you (e.g. changing OpenCart to MyCompany). You can add only."
Do you mean that I can replace OpenCart name on the copyright notice with the name of my client (Copyright 2018 ABCXYZ) but I can't change the look and feel of OpenCart such as changing logo or hiding any parts that I don't need? It is unclear to me because as I know, one can modify anything in GPL code and only need to keep it GPL when he redistributes the software.

Thanks

Post by DanielLe010191 » Thu Aug 16, 2018 8:42 pm

paulfeakins wrote:
Thu Aug 16, 2018 5:36 pm
Yeah, no big ecommerce companies that run OpenCart would keep the "Powered by OpenCart" notice.

You don't see Facebook saying "Powered by PHP" at the bottom or listing all of the thousands of other technologies involved in making it work.
Hi,

Thanks for your reply.
I agree that on the storefront all businesses will keep their own copyright notice.
However for the admin site, is there any restriction on the copyright notice given that the business only uses it internally? And can it be changed to fit the needs of the business without any copyright notice in the admin site (copyright notices in code files still keep intact though)?