Post by drvdw » Mon Jul 23, 2018 5:12 am

OC Version: 3.0.2.0
Theme: default
Extension/Mods: none

My query:
I want to build a website for selling photographs in different forms, such as prints, cards, digital, etc. I would set all cards to the same price, and have customers get a discount if they buy a certain quantity of cards, but I'd like them to be able to pick cards of different photographs. I'm not sure how I should set up the categories and products to achieve this. I want the customer to be able to be able to see different categories of pictures, then be able to go to a particular photograph, and then be able to choose the form of photograph that they want.

I have made some categories and subcategories, e.g.:

In the Air
Scenic
Scenic > Mountain
Scenic > River Scene
Seasons
Seasons > Fall
Seasons > Spring

If I make a particular photograph a product, is there any way to set up discounts, options or anything else to handle what I want? Could the customer, say, choose a river scene as a print, a particular mountain photograph as a card, a spring photograph also as a card, and then if they had 5 separate photos as cards they would get a discount for buying 5 cards?

What is the most logical way to create categories and products such that the photographs are arranged like a gallery, but the photos can be bought in different forms with quantity discounts based on the form (print, card, etc) and not on the particular photograph?

A link to my site: http://www.pvdw-photo.com

Post by paulfeakins » Mon Jul 23, 2018 6:06 pm

Are you a developer? If not it could be worth paying someone from the Commercial Support forum to do this for you?

UK OpenCart Hosting | OpenCart Audits | OpenCart Support - please email info@antropy.co.uk

Guru Member

Location - London Gatwick, United Kingdom

Post by straightlight » Mon Jul 23, 2018 7:42 pm

Taking a look in the Marketplace for photography and gallery features would also be ideal before considering custom projects. Custom projects are normally assigned when no alternative are being presented from the website's environment or from a third party website (unsupported, however).

Also, duplicated topic: viewtopic.php?f=202&t=205867#p729787

Dedication and passion goes to those who are able to push and merge a project.

Regards,
Straightlight
Programmer / Opencart Tester

Legendary Member

Location - Canada, ON

Post by drvdw » Tue Jul 24, 2018 3:20 am

paulfeakins wrote:
Mon Jul 23, 2018 6:06 pm
Are you a developer? If not it could be worth paying someone from the Commercial Support forum to do this for you?
I'm trying to become a developer. I was initially making the whole site in angular and sql, but I was asked to add this same type of discount. I decided to try to do it in an ecommerce platform, and I falsely assumed opencart could do it. I don't want to buy any extensions, as I want to learn how to sell websites, not buy them.

Post by IP_CAM » Tue Jul 24, 2018 4:55 am

I want to learn how to sell websites, not buy them.
Thank you for beeing honest, but it does not make it easier, since most people
only come here, because they want to use free Opencart, to sell something. :D

But, to create something 'individual' out of OC, means, to get familiar with OC
first, to basically understand it's technology, and it's MVC(L) Framework way
of doing things, as well as getting familiar with OcMod, the built-in Overwrite-
Function, to make OcMod Extensions work. One also needs to know Bootstrap
Theme Technology, in order to make changes in responsive Display Layouts.

So, it will take a few Months, to achieve such, and in some cases even longer,
as I found out, during the past 50+ months, still trying to reinvent the OC wheel
on a daily bases. :crazy:
But I have to admit, to have wasted way too much time, beeing here, instead
of only working for myself, I would have saved at least a Year, the other way... 8)

But, better don't expect others around here, to make something work for you,
when it comes to other than default Code/Routine - related Wisdom. It's not
the purpose of this place, to do custom work for others for free, since OC is all
about money, for most everybody involved. Even for you, I assume ... ;)

OC is a smart Business Model, but it has never been planned, by it's sole Owner
Daniel Kerr, to be a 'common goal' Shareware Project, one has to be aware of this.

Good Luck, no offense, just plain information ! ;)
Ernie

My Github OC Site: https://github.com/IP-CAM
5'200 + FREE OC Extensions, on the World's largest private Github OC Repository Archive Site.

Legendary Member

Location - Switzerland