Post by AntonVE » Wed Jul 11, 2018 7:33 pm

Hey all,

I want to ask you something just to clear something with my developer.
For the first time ever i hired someone to upgrade my opencart store so i can have more time for other businesses.
This hasn't been quit a walk in the park and everyday i am getting more the feeling i should've done this myself.
As of this moment i have no idea what is going on, and where issues are coming from.
I reported an issue and the developer says it is a standard feature, meaning if i want this changed it will cost me.
Well i used opencart for about 10years and never in 1 version did i have this issue, so i can't imagine this is suddenly the case in oc3.

Is it true that with every edit of an order in the backend, the customer receives a new email confirming i changed the order?
So if i make a typo for 3 times in a row my customer gets 3 emails and seeing exactly how bad i am at writing something?
Not only when i truly edit the order the mail is sent, so when i just go in and click save instead of cancel the mail is send also.
I can't imagine this is how oc3 works these days, as my customers are complaining about the number of mails they get.
If this a standard feature nowadays, is there also a way to turn this off?
In the older versions the mails only got send when you tick "notify customer" on the last edit page, which imho is about the best way to solve/deal with this.

Thanks for your time!
Anton

Post by OSWorX » Wed Jul 11, 2018 8:27 pm

Basically, no matter who you hire, I (as customer/client = you) expect to be informed once a day what is going on.
That should be normal - if not agreed - and is common practice when we do custom work.

Second, if you ask the developer (are you sure he is a OpenCart developer/expert) something, he has to give you the correct answer (see standard feature) - otherwise I could think that he does not know what he is doing.
If this is really a standard feature (or would be) and you want to check this, simply try the OpenCart Demo.

What is not true, that if you change something on an order in the backend, you can choose to notify the customer - or not.
THIS is standard - even in the latest 3.1. alpha release.
And is since the 1.5.x. days of OpenCart.

So, I would recommend that you ask another to check what this guy is doing (you can contact me per PM if you want).
Seems to me, that he wants to collect as much money as he can from you - for nothing!

Btw: upgrading from which version ever, should be done within at least within a max. of 4 days (if many changes/adoptions have to made).
How long is he already working on?

Full Stack Web Developer :: Dedicated OpenCart Development & Support DACH Region
Contact for Custom Work / Fast Support.

Guru Member

Location - Austria

Post by kestas » Wed Jul 11, 2018 8:58 pm

Misunderstanding somewhere... If you edit an order in admin, by default, any emails never sending in any case (or maybe I missing something). You can only notify customer when you updating order history if you check checkbox Notify Customer. So in your case seems your developer make some aditional upgrade... and now asking some money for "downgrade" :crazy: Upgrade of the site version to the recent, can took about 1-4 working days. Depends what you need.

Cheers

Custom OpenCart modules and solutions. You can write PM with additional questions... Extensions you can find here

Post by AntonVE » Wed Jul 11, 2018 9:27 pm

OSWorX wrote:
Wed Jul 11, 2018 8:27 pm
Second, if you ask the developer (are you sure he is a OpenCart developer/expert) something, he has to give you the correct answer (see standard feature) - otherwise I could think that he does not know what he is doing.
If this is really a standard feature (or would be) and you want to check this, simply try the OpenCart Demo.
Pitty enough the mailing on the opencart demo site isn't functional, also when i try to edit my order in the demo site i get the message i dont have permission to that api or something.
OSWorX wrote:
What is not true, that if you change something on an order in the backend, you can choose to notify the customer - or not.
THIS is standard - even in the latest 3.1. alpha release.
And is since the 1.5.x. days of OpenCart.
Thanks for confirming, this is exactly what i thought to be true.
I never had customers receive any emails because i edit their order in the backend.
Sometimes i just add a little note to my self after completing an order, it would be crazy if a customer gets that everytime i add a note or delete it.
I figured... that option to choose whether or not to notify the customer in the last tab, isn't there to always notify the customer no matter what you choose there.
OSWorX wrote:
So, I would recommend that you ask another to check what this guy is doing (you can contact me per PM if you want).
Seems to me, that he wants to collect as much money as he can from you - for nothing!

Btw: upgrading from which version ever, should be done within at least within a max. of 4 days (if many changes/adoptions have to made).
How long is he already working on?
I might make use of this, as i am beginning to have serious doubts if this guy is indeed the right choice for me.
It is taking over 6 weeks in total by now, gave him the green light around 20th of may although i have been adjusting some things in the meantime.
The site is live from 29th June and still i find issues and things that should be fixed, even in modules installed and adjusted by him.
Hopefully he will fix everything for good now and within a couple of days, otherwise i am going to look for someone else to finish this.

Post by OSWorX » Wed Jul 11, 2018 9:51 pm

1. A new demoshop on your server (or anywhere) in any version is installed within 2 minutes
2. You can contact me whenever you need/want

And finally (because I have seen such and see it again and again): some 'developer' leave some code after 'work'.
Mean, they will receive by email (or other ways) messages and data from the store they worked on!
So be careful and check every file not having such 'on board' afterwards.

Full Stack Web Developer :: Dedicated OpenCart Development & Support DACH Region

Guru Member

Location - Austria

Post by Qphoria » Thu Jul 12, 2018 2:02 am

My apologies if I misunderstand some of the wording here....

Just to be clear, in 3.0
1. If you create a new order in admin, the customer DOES get an email automatically. There is no option to send or not send emails (which should be added).
2. If you "edit" the order in admin (not to be confused with adding order history), it DOES send out an email automatically as it uses API system which triggers the full checkout process, including emails which is based on a general event that triggers when the addorderhistory is triggered. Again there is no option to choose whether or not to send the email. Never has been.

Due to a bit of a bug in the design. When you edit an order, the api edit calls to the catalog/model/checkout/order.php->editOrder function
This functions first step is to reset the order status id to 0.

Then when addOrderHistory is triggered, an event for mail checks the order_status_id.
If it is "0" then it sends the "new order" mail
If it is > 0 then it sends the "edit" email.

Since the previous step always resets the order_status_id to 0, it will NEVER send the "edit" email and always resends the "new order" email.

So yes, order edits currently cause a new confirmation email. It was nothing that your dev did.. just a bug in the process.

Administrator

Post by Johnathan » Thu Jul 12, 2018 2:47 am

Nice explanation, Q, appreciated

Image Image Image Image Image

Administrator

Post by AntonVE » Thu Jul 12, 2018 3:22 am

Qphoria wrote:
Thu Jul 12, 2018 2:02 am
Just to be clear, in 3.0
1. If you create a new order in admin, the customer DOES get an email automatically. There is no option to send or not send emails (which should be added).
2. If you "edit" the order in admin (not to be confused with adding order history), it DOES send out an email automatically as it uses API system which triggers the full checkout process, including emails which is based on a general event that triggers when the addorderhistory is triggered. Again there is no option to choose whether or not to send the email. Never has been.
Yes you are right this is what i ment and what is happening at this moment with me.
Guess i owe my dev an apologie as i pointed out i was right, after the first 2 posts here.
The worst part of this is, when i edit an order i am usually in a hurry or not looking to careful and mistakes happen.
So i go in to edit the order, and sometimes again, and sometimes again even .... in this case the customer gets 3 emails just because i am fiddling about.
Ok i should solve the mistakes and go in just once, but ok i am me and i do make mistakes (a lot).

If this is a bug and you know what causes this... i hope you might also be able to fix this?
What would it cost to make a fix so that just like 1.5.6. and maybe all other oc's except oc3, the mail is only resend when i select the checkbox "notify customer"?

Thanks for your time,
Anton

Post by OSWorX » Thu Jul 12, 2018 3:33 am

Thanks Q for clarifying.

But this bug seems to be already fixed, because with the latest 3.1.0.0.alpha (which should not be used as Live) everything works as it should (right now tested and was meant when I answered).
Never thought that such bug came into ..

Guru Member

Location - Austria

Post by Qphoria » Thu Jul 12, 2018 3:36 am

So there are 2 fixes likely needed.
1. Add a checkbox for notification during order entry/update
2. Fix the editOrder call that resets the order_status_id to not reset it and just leave it as it was so that when you do want to notify, it sends the "edit" email and not the "new order" email.

I've not tried 3.1.0.0 so they might be fixed there

Administrator

Post by dswtpl » Thu Jul 12, 2018 3:27 pm

When you checked to Notify Customer option then after notification mail sends to order customer otherwise not. This is not new functionality but I was added version 1.5.x to still 3.x version.

Attachments

notify_customer.png

notify_customer.png (36.73 KiB) Viewed 1540 times

Post by paulfeakins » Thu Jul 12, 2018 7:09 pm

Johnathan wrote:
Thu Jul 12, 2018 2:47 am
Nice explanation, Q, appreciated
Agreed and seconded!

UK OpenCart Hosting | OpenCart Audits | OpenCart Support - please email info@antropy.co.uk

Guru Member

Location - London Gatwick, United Kingdom

Post by Qphoria » Thu Jul 12, 2018 10:24 pm

dswtpl wrote:
Thu Jul 12, 2018 3:27 pm
When you checked to Notify Customer option then after notification mail sends to order customer otherwise not. This is not new functionality but I was added version 1.5.x to still 3.x version.
That's the order "view" page.. not the order "edit" page. Completely different process.
Welcome to OpenCart btw!

Administrator