Post by SnazzySystems » Sat May 19, 2018 6:22 pm

Hi all i'm just wondering if i change the theme will the items currently listed on the stores page be lost?

Thanks - Snazzy ;D

Post by Johnathan » Sat May 19, 2018 10:06 pm

No, changing your theme should only change the display of your site on the front-end. It won't change any of the product/category/etc. data in the database.

Of course, make sure you make a backup of your site and database before changing, just in case your new theme does something crazy or something goes wrong.

Image Image Image Image Image

Administrator

Post by SnazzySystems » Mon May 21, 2018 7:14 pm

Sweet mate so if i backup the database of the site that also includes the items so if i mess up i can just re-import database and site will be fine? :D

Post by Johnathan » Mon May 21, 2018 9:39 pm

Yes, as long as you have a full backup of your site, you should be able to restore from that. Note that if you use the OpenCart admin panel backup, it will only restore the database for your OpenCart version --- you can't always use it on other OpenCart versions, and it won't back up your files.

If you want a full site backup, use cPanel or your web host admin panel to make the backup, which will do a full backup of all files and the database.

Administrator

Post by SnazzySystems » Tue May 22, 2018 3:59 am

In my case i'd just ftp to the vps and goto the web directory and download the files :) So what does the database exactly hold? like other then my items 8)

Thanks - Snazzy

Post by Johnathan » Tue May 22, 2018 9:40 pm

The files run the software itself, the pages you see, and the styling/layout of your site.

The database holds all the data --- products, categories, orders, customers, etc. If you haven't ever inspected your database, you should do that (using a database inspector like phpMyAdmin) so you can get an idea of what's there.

Administrator

Post by SnazzySystems » Wed May 23, 2018 5:42 pm

Ok thanks ;)