Post by onefish » Mon Jan 01, 2018 7:09 pm

Hi all, I am trying to remove a couple links from the accounts module (I think that's where they live?). These are in the list down the right hand side of the account page. I googled and read a lot before posting here as the commonly recommended solution didn't work. I am using the default theme with only minor changes so far, mostly css files for colours and text sizes, and commented out a few links in the footer and in the account body.

What I have tried to do is comment out (and then delete when that didn't work) "<a href="{{ newsletter }}" class="list-group-item">{{ text_newsletter }}</a>" from the following file:

catalog > view > theme > default > template > extension > module > account.twig

Newsletter still shows up in the list so this is obviously not the correct file. Does anybody know which file I should be modifying?

Cheers!

Post by straightlight » Mon Jan 01, 2018 10:44 pm

I googled and read a lot before posting here as the commonly recommended solution didn't work.
While the information may have been googled, the forum rule was not followed regarding the provided information of your OC version nor to provide any screenshots / URL to the exact location of your store with the provided detailed issue on the above post.
Newsletter still shows up in the list so this is obviously not the correct file. Does anybody know which file I should be modifying?
After making any modifications on TWIG files, ensure to clear your OC admin dashboard cache (both) and from your admin - > extensions - > modifications - > refresh button. Then, refresh the store-front end's customer's account page to notice the changes.

Dedication and passion goes to those who are able to push and merge a project.

Regards,
Straightlight
Programmer / Opencart Tester

Legendary Member

Location - Canada, ON

Post by onefish » Tue Jan 02, 2018 8:05 am

Straightlight, sorry I am using the latest version of Opencart (3.0.2.0). Prior to posting this thread, I had already:
  • deleted all cache files in: system > storage > cache
  • cleared cache and cookies from browser for the domain
  • refreshed modules
Sorry I should have mentioned that. You mentioned clear cache in both places, what other cache should I be clearing? Just as an aside, all other changes I have made have shown up in the front end straight away without clearing anything.

I didn't post a screenshot because I assumed it was pretty clear what module/list I am talking about. That, and this has to be one of the last forums on the web that still requires off site hosting of images to post them. It's a pain and inevitably the links will be broken and solutions relying on those images become more or less useless to others.

With that gripe out of the way, please see below:
[EDIT: confirming my previous statement, this is a pain! Tried 3 different hosts and links to get a photo here and all failed to display. You'll just have to look at the list of 13 links down the right hand side of any account page in a standard install of OC]

I need to remove more links than just the Newsletter but didn't want to confuse things here. The process will be the same for all of them.

Cheers!

Post by straightlight » Tue Jan 02, 2018 9:03 am

what other cache should I be clearing?
The instructions are indicated ... right on the above of your question ...

As for the system/storage folder, there were no indication my previous reply mentioning that this folder should be deleted directly as the storage folder, in this case, seem to be inside the system folder while it should be outside of your public_html folder and to edit your config.php and admin/config.php file for the new location of the DIR_STORAGE and to comment out your ^system/storage line (or remove) from your Opencart root folder's .htaccess file. The reason these parts of the instructions were not mentioned is due to the information that was not provided from your prior posts on this topic regarding the system/storage path ...
I didn't post a screenshot because I assumed it was pretty clear what module/list I am talking about. That, and this has to be one of the last forums on the web that still requires off site hosting of images to post them. It's a pain and inevitably the links will be broken and solutions relying on those images become more or less useless to others.

With that gripe out of the way ...
I ... don't know what's been gripe out of the way here but, from your first post, so far, no URL has been posted with the reported issue ...

So far, I can only notice that partial instructions were followed. Please re-read the whole instructions word-per-word.

Dedication and passion goes to those who are able to push and merge a project.

Regards,
Straightlight
Programmer / Opencart Tester

Legendary Member

Location - Canada, ON

Post by onefish » Tue Jan 02, 2018 10:31 am

Straightlight, sorry man, I don't think we are on the same page here.

You said:
straightlight wrote:
Mon Jan 01, 2018 10:44 pm
After making any modifications on TWIG files, ensure to clear your OC admin dashboard cache (both)

This isn't really instructions on how to clear the cache, therefore I was letting you know that I had deleted cache files from: system > storage > cache. I did not delete the cache storage folder, or move it, or change it at all, just deleted the files in this folder beginning with cache.* I did this after googling "how to clear Opencart cache" and this was the instruction. The storage folder is in the location that Opencart puts it during a standard install. I don't know of another way to clear cache and it is only one cache location so hence my question:

"what other cache should I be clearing?" (I still don't know)

My gripe was with the forum requiring offsite hosting for images in posts, not with you. I spent .5hr trying to post a screenshot but it would not work. So I tried to follow your instructions but could not. I cannot provide a link to the site as it is in maintenance and I'm not about to take it out right now.

All this is totally superfluous though as I am talking about a standard feature on a standard install of Opencart. The real question is what file do I need to modify to remove links from the right hand list (13 links there) that appear on every accounts page?

If you believe that I have already modified the correct file (in my first post) and this is a cache issue then I would be grateful to receive instructions to clear the correct cache.

Post by onefish » Tue Jan 02, 2018 1:30 pm

<-- SOLVED -->
I resolved this. It was in fact a cache issue. So the file described in my first post is the correct file to modify to remove links from the accounts module which displays 13 links along the right side of accounts pages.

All the info I had found on clearing Opencart cache referred to manually deleting cache.* files in the location mentioned previously. I'm sure this does clear some cache but obviously not the correct ones. I found info here: https://www.webage.co.uk/opencart-3-admin-primer/ on how to clear cache in Opencart 3. I presume this is what you meant by "clear both caches" Staightlight?

So links I have commented out using {# code_to_comment_out #} are no longer showing in the list.