Post by estander@socom.ie » Fri Jul 21, 2017 8:37 pm

Hello Community,
OpenCart version 3.0.1.2 & 3.0.2.0
OC indicates: Due to security reasons it is advised to move the Storage folder outside of the 'public_html' or 'www' or 'htdocs' folder structure.

My question is two fold:
1 - what are the security reasons that the Storage folder must be moved ( just a few examples, if possible, to help me understand better)
2 - the 'auto move operation' as part of an upgrade or clean install, does not seem to move the Storage folder, but rather only copies it to the new selected location. i.e The original Storage folder is still located under its original location
e.g.
Original Location: /home/<username>/public_html/system/storage/
is still there after the Storage folder was moved via the auto move operation to:
New Location: /home/<username>/storage/

Users will have two Storage folders in OpenCart 3.0.1.2 and 3.0.2.0
The issue might just be that the original Storage folder is not auto deleted after it is moved.
(side note: OC 3.0.2.0 clean install and upgrade does successfully update the config.php files with the correct new location of the Storage folder)

Thank you for a great product and all the help
Ettienne

Post by straightlight » Sat Dec 02, 2017 1:31 am

The storage folder needs to be moved outside your public_html / www / htdocs folder area of your domain. On the previous location of those folder(s), simply create a storage folder and set the permissions to either 0755 or, if 0755 does not allow writing, set permission to 0777 on your FTP or your host file manager console. This should rectify the issue once logging back into the Opencart admin dashboard.

Dedication and passion goes to those who are able to push and merge a project.

Regards,
Straightlight
Programmer / Opencart Tester

Legendary Member

Location - Canada, ON

Post by Manitoou » Mon Dec 11, 2017 5:36 am

Hi guys,
I have some trouble with this (if some one can help):
I moved the storage folder from /home/account/public_html/system/storage/ to /home/account/storage/ and changed config files, and all is ok but I noticed this line in the .htaccess :
RewriteRule ^system/storage/(.*) index.php?route=error/not_found [L]
there is something to change on it or let it like this ? (in my system there is no storage folder)
Thx

Post by straightlight » Mon Dec 11, 2017 6:58 am

Nowhere indicated to change the .htaccess from my above instructions so leave it as is unless this file needs to be edited for other specific reasons.

Regards,
Straightlight

Legendary Member

Location - Canada, ON

Post by Manitoou » Mon Dec 11, 2017 7:13 am

Thank you for your reply.
Just want know why this line still like this (RewriteRule ^system/storage/(.*) index.php?route=error/not_found [L] ).

Post by straightlight » Mon Dec 11, 2017 7:14 am

The system/ path should be removed in that line. Sorry, I did not noticed this term in the path from your previous post nor did this one ever reported it particularly before through my knowledge ...

Regards,
Straightlight

Legendary Member

Location - Canada, ON