Post by open_user » Sun Sep 02, 2018 9:53 pm

Hi,
I am using a Linux server and a windows client. In the client, when I use Opera or internet Explorer, the basic captcha keeps on displaying the error:
Verification code does not match the image!
If I use Firefox, and we are talking about doing this test, with 4 different open browsers at the same time, it works. The other 3 browsers, where it never works, are:
- Internet Explorer 11 (both, compatibility mode and without compatibility mode)
- Chrome Version 68.0.3440.106
- Opera version 55.0
I know that there is a great silence in this forum regarding this issue, but it would be worth to take a look, because it impacts a lot of people.
As I didn't find any specifications of this module, I am finding a lot of difficulties trying to understand where the issue could come from. I have open questions such:
- where is the algorithm that calculates the image number?
- where is the file (php or whatever) that checks is the same number?
- Does this module have different behaviour, depending on the browser? If yes, where is located the file that deals with it?
- Could it be an internationalisation/encoding issue affecting only...all the browsers but mozilla?
Thanks in advance

Post by straightlight » Sun Sep 02, 2018 10:03 pm

The basic captcha extension can be tricky at times. I would suggest to look in the Marketplace for countless solutions regarding Captcha.
I know that there is a great silence in this forum regarding this issue, but it would be worth to take a look, because it impacts a lot of people.
The reason of this silence is due to unprovided results of the facts from the developers kit and / or from the error / server access logs as per the forum rules, however.

Dedication and passion goes to those who are able to push and merge a project.

Regards,
Straightlight
Programmer / Opencart Tester

Legendary Member

Location - Canada, ON

Post by open_user » Sun Sep 02, 2018 10:23 pm

Hi,

Well, the only thing I understood about the answer is that I should go for another catcha. But, in fact, I think that would good documentation and some improvers we won't need to go and get licenses here and there to have a simple captcha in our site. Is there any documentation about this specific module? I am sure it is a point that is related to the OS/browser behaviour regarding encoding. I tried in Android, and it works with Opera Mini and Samsung default browser.
Thanks in advance.

Post by straightlight » Sun Sep 02, 2018 10:31 pm

If only on specific locations it does not provide the same results as other devices do, again, you'd need to post the results of these effects, especially since you are posting in the Bug Reports section of the forum. More accurate information would need to be provided in order to provide an accurate solution to this problem.

Regards,
Straightlight

Legendary Member

Location - Canada, ON

Post by open_user » Mon Sep 03, 2018 12:58 am

Hi,
I have been checking and checking the server and opencart logs, and quite frankly, I only found GETs. I don't have POSTs and I don't have errors.
Apart from that, I have been analyzing other facts, and I think I have discovered why this happens and the workaround, that is different for each browser (but it is better if this can be solved in the next version of captcha).
Facts:
- I have check with my hosting company if the server enconding was UTF-8, and it is.
- I have realized that, even when I cleared the cache, each of the browsers I was using, except FF, provided me with the same captcha. I mean, IE provided me always with the captcha 3e456d34 (just inventing!), Opera provided me with the captcha 985d28, and Chrome provided me with the captcha 0d564a34.
-After googling a bit, I did try the following, thinking that perhaps it was a cookies issue, more than an encoding issue (captcha uses something called "user token"):
- Chrome: I cleaned the cache in advanced mode, checking all the boxes, "from all times", plus I used an incognito window. Result: I got a brand new captcha code and... it worked!
- IE: I cleaned the cache paying attention to first uncheck the first box: "preserve favorites website data". Then I clicked on "Apply". Then I opened my site and...I received a new captcha code and IT WORKED.
- In Opera: I cleaned the cache in advanced mode, checking All the boxes. I went to my site and...I got a new captcha code and IT WORKED.

Conclusions:
Possibly, the captcha module keeps in the server an image of a captcha code and the "user token" (a cookie). When a user comes back to the website, the captcha module generates a new code, but the user is presented with the image of the old captcha. If this is the problem, the user management and cookies stores should be reviewed.
It is also possible that the captcha image name, as is the same always, is cached in the browser, so doesn't display the new content. if this is the problem, the solution would be to give a unique name to every generated captcha image, so the browsers would go and display the new content every time the user access the site.

Please, let me know if it is possible to change that behaviour easily in the code.
Best regards.

Post by straightlight » Mon Sep 03, 2018 1:14 am

However, the developers kit's console results still hasn't been posted nor the URL.

Regards,
Straightlight

Legendary Member

Location - Canada, ON