Post by jbcul » Thu Oct 04, 2018 1:03 am

I searched this forum and could not find this topic so I'm adding it here. I hope it's not already in the features request pool and I've made a dup.
That said, we are moving to 3.0 and our goal will be to tie our QuickBooks POS to our OpenCart site for live inventory updates. The problem is that we have different Product ID's in Quickbooks for things that we deal with as Options in OpenCart. So if we sell a product, it might be item # 1000 if sold each, but # 1001 if sold by the dozen. In OpenCart, that's Model #1000 with each as the default quantity and an option of Dozen (but no ability to do a different model number).
I'm aware that there are extensions that will offer this capability but then I have to wonder if downstream that will give me fluid integration in reporting, POS integration and use with other modules (e.g. import/export data such as ExcelPort).
I think Generally Accepted Accounting Principles would agree that having a different control number for both versions of the product is a good thing.

Post by IP_CAM » Thu Oct 04, 2018 3:07 am

Checked already here about this Option SKU ?
Such Code could be changed easy to ANY Value (Variable) required. ;)
Ernie
PS: But better make sure, to use a matching Workbench Version, if you
already know, wich tools you want to place on, and use. :D
---
https://www.opencart.com/index.php?rout ... ion+%20SKU
---

My Github OC Site: https://github.com/IP-CAM
5'200 + FREE OC Extensions, on the World's largest private Github OC Repository Archive Site.

Legendary Member

Location - Switzerland

Post by jbcul » Fri Oct 05, 2018 4:08 am

Thanks. I still am requesting that this be added as a design feature. Besides, I need to verify but I think that POS integration tools key on Module field, not SKU. Dealing with variations and options in any online store is goofy as they take so many forms.

Post by IP_CAM » Fri Oct 05, 2018 7:37 am

I still am requesting that this be added as a design feature ...
Well, as more features would be part of a default OC, the less Extensions could
be built and (partly) sold, and this would kill every Project, based and operated
exactly that way.
That just needs to be understud, to understand, why OC comes for free. ;)
Ernie

5'200 + FREE OC Extensions, on the World's largest private Github OC Repository Archive Site.

Legendary Member

Location - Switzerland

Expert Member

Location - România

Post by jbcul » Fri Oct 12, 2018 9:50 pm

Yea... like that. I get it that there needs to be a balance with extensions in terms of what is included in the core features and what is farmed out to developers. My thinking has always fallen in favor of the idea that developers do added value stuff while core data model impact issues or items that are practically universally used (e.g. USPS in the USA for shipping) should be wrapped in the core features. In terms of having a different control number on items in Options, be it Model or SKU, it's not clear to me if this would be a universal desire or need but it does seem to be something that would impact the data model.
If I were to use the extension you so kindly referenced, would it integrate with another extension that was doing a sync between OpenCart and QuickBooks? It may just work out the box but it may mean someone has to do custom code. That's really a summary of my thinking. If at the end of the day we decide this higher level of integration is something we want to pursue, we'll do whatever we need to do (buy extensions etc.) but I was simply asking the question from a design vantage point.
Thanks yet again for spending your time. While it may be a conversation of two, I do appreciate it.
jc

Post by IP_CAM » Sat Oct 13, 2018 1:22 am

Well, regardless of, what others think, one just has to keep in mind, that OC is a
One-Man Show. And this means, that others have nothing to say, when it comes
to decide on, what should be included, and/or how something should work.
This has led to many misunderstandings in the past, and it killed the spirit of a
good range of fellow-contributors, during the Years, expecting OC to be more a
'common' shared Project, and so always 'open' to new Ideas and Solutions as well.

But it would probably not work, this way, due to a variety of good reasons. And as
a consequence of this, it's really just wasted time, to argue about, what should be
included in OC by default. Everybody has different Requirements, and, by Nature
of Things, one would sure like to have most everything built-in by default already.

Still, this would leave no Room for OC Extension Builders, and as a consequence
of this, OC would not exist, or at least, could not survive, or it could not come for
free. It's as easy as that. :-\

I guess, that nobody, who ever came here, would invest 10'000's of hours of hard
work, just to make those happy, trying to use OC, to generate Money, but without
a financial Investment, other than for a URL and a Server ?!

But this is no Ideology either, it just, accepting the facts, in a Business Environment.
And OC is, and strictly means, Business, for everybody involved. The only Problem
might be, that too many get ideological about it, by mis-interpreting the real Meaning
of 'Open Source', since it has nothing to do with 'free+shared software development',
and great big bunches of Forum Followers, just waiting, to assist others for free.

The Contrary is more the Case, great big bunches of hidden Followers are just waiting,
to get as much knowledge as possible, to turn this free wisdom into Cash, in one or the
other way. And many OC Users also have illegally optained Code installed as well, and
then likely expect others here, to support them, since they cannot get legal Support.

But all this should not keep one from using OC, if one looks at OC from the strictly
professional Point of View, and without any emotional feelings. OC 'Users' are in nothing
different to the Rest of the World, and for One, who belongs to the Winners, 99 will not
make it, since they had nothing, to start with, exept for a Dream, after they heard about OC.

Just to share my experiences and understanding of OC, after trying to build my 'ultimate'
Solution out of all this, for quite a while already. So, I still need wisdom, to be found here,
so, better don't ask me, why I'm still around, if my postings are full of critical statements.
But, as I said, it's not Ideology or friendly feelings, wich keeps one here, it's plain figures
& facts, as it should be, like in real Business too. :D

Good Luck ! ;)
Ernie
PS: Not meant for you only, but a few other will read it too ... ;)

Legendary Member

Location - Switzerland