Post by karlopencart » Fri Aug 17, 2012 1:47 am

Ok I give up building a new site using 1.5.3.1 and I see the Addthis module but where do you enter your username within the system. Either I'm being really thick or missing something.

I know I could edit

template/catalog/product/product.tpl

But I assumed there would be a place to insert the required Addthis username.

Location - New Zealand (Tokomaru, Palmerston North)

Post by karlopencart » Sat Aug 18, 2012 10:10 pm

Sorry Jem

That answer makes no sense, how on earth then is any tracking possible via the addthis control panel if it has no username to assign the stats to.

I've been adding the addthis plugin for 5 years on numerous websites. And the embed code has a username assigned.

But there appears to be no such facility within OC admin panel.

Karl

Post by jason.g » Sun Aug 19, 2012 1:22 am

karlopencart wrote:Sorry Jem

That answer makes no sense, how on earth then is any tracking possible via the addthis control panel if it has no username to assign the stats to.

I've been adding the addthis plugin for 5 years on numerous websites. And the embed code has a username assigned.

But there appears to be no such facility within OC admin panel.

Karl
All I did for my website was go to the http://AddThis.com website, signed up and then got the code to put onto the website which has a tracking code in the script. Just a couple of things to keep in mind though...

1. It is capable of tracking if the URL gets copied and pasted by someone but it will but a hash-tag code at the end so if you don't want that then make sure to change it to 'false'...

Code: Select all

<script type="text/javascript">var addthis_config = {"data_track_addressbar":false};</script>
2. If you are using an SSL (https), then you will need to either change the scripts src to 'https' or you could just remove the 'http:' and leave the '//', otherwise it won't show up on secure pages...

<script type="text/javascript" src="https://s7.addthis.com/js/250/addthis_widget.js#pubid=ThisIsTheTrackingCode"></script>
Or...

<script type="text/javascript" src="//s7.addthis.com/js/250/addthis_widget.js#pubid=ThisIsTheTrackingCode"></script>
And sorry if this is not exactly what you were asking for.

http://GaudiosAudios.com

Location - Arizona

Post by karlopencart » Sun Aug 19, 2012 7:58 pm

Jason.g

As you so rightly point out there is a #pubid=thisisyourtrackingcode within the addthis script but other than editing the OC \catalog\view\theme\default\template\product\product.tpl to include the code which of course I could do. But I can't find a logical place within the admin panel to add the "thisisthetrackingcode" or maybe it got left out of the build or maybe there is a vqmod that would add it.

During this shop build I was determine not to end up with numerous tpl edits.

Thanks Karl

Post by devzer0 » Sun Aug 19, 2012 8:37 pm

where do you find the addthis module take a look at the code and see if it has the config option. if it doesn't then add the config option to it, its simple as that.

Post by bigchili » Sun Aug 19, 2012 8:48 pm

Ok, so to answer your question, you can't add the tracking code (or username, whatever you want to call it) from the OpenCart admin panel. You would have to edit the product.tpl file either manually or through vQmod. I'm assuming since you've been adding this code to websites for over 5 years (which you mentioned) you know how to edit the .tpl file manually. If you would rather make a vQmod to avoid editing core files, then head over to http://code.google.com/p/vqmod/, download it, install it, and then create your vQmod .xml file to add the code you want.

Post by karlopencart » Sun Aug 19, 2012 11:35 pm

bigchilli

Thanks that has answered the question fully, will just mod the product.tpl. Not really played with the vqmod stuff but will set aside some time to look at it.

For those of you reading this you will need to edit the following file

\catalog\view\theme\default\template\product\product.tpl

around line 223 or search for AddThis Button END

then replace the code

<script type="text/javascript" src="//s7.addthis.com/js/250/addthis_widget.js"></script> 
with the code provided by Addthis

<script type="text/javascript" src="http://s7.addthis.com/js/250/addthis_widget.js#username= THIS WILL BE THE USER NAME"></script>
The only real change in the code is just after the # where you add username=THIS WILL BE THE USER NAME

bigchilli - Thanks again

Karl

Post by bigchili » Mon Aug 20, 2012 12:08 am

karlopencart wrote:Thanks that has answered the question fully, will just mod the product.tpl. Not really played with the vqmod stuff but will set aside some time to look at it.
Not a problem. Really the vQmod shouldn't take you more than 5 or 10 minutes to pick up. It's quite easy and that's not an exaggeration.

Post by karlopencart » Mon Aug 20, 2012 2:16 am

Ok I will set aside 5-10 mins tomorrow and give it go. Client requests permitting. But your name may well be taken in vain but I apologies in advance ;D :)

Hey it's Sunday roast time in the UK. yum yum !!!

Thanks for the time to answer my ?, mostly I can find everything on the forum which is why I don't post that much but the addthis code had me stumped ??? Because I knew I could hardcode the result. Which was the answer anyway.

So tomorrow it will be a 1.4.7 to 1.5.3.1 upgrade on 3 sites

Karl

Post by Jeremy Fisk » Mon Aug 20, 2012 3:29 am

karlopencart wrote:Ok I will set aside 5-10 mins tomorrow and give it go. Client requests permitting. But your name may well be taken in vain but I apologies in advance ;D :)

Hey it's Sunday roast time in the UK. yum yum !!!

Thanks for the time to answer my ?, mostly I can find everything on the forum which is why I don't post that much but the addthis code had me stumped ??? Because I knew I could hardcode the result. Which was the answer anyway.

So tomorrow it will be a 1.4.7 to 1.5.3.1 upgrade on 3 sites

Karl
Sorry for my earlier answer... i didn't get what you meant...

try this vqmod... i have created it for you... they asre real simple...
NOTE... you will have to change "THIS WILL BE THE USER NAME" to your username

Cheers

Jem

Attachments

Add this tracking vqmod

Hand Dryers

Bookstore Mod
QuickShop Module
Restricted Access - Compulsory Login
Template Override - Category Specific (vQmod)
Template Override - Brand Specific (vQmod)
How did you find out about us register question mod
Compulsory Login vQmod
Brands In Top Menu
zoom - Product Image - Auto on hover

Post by karlopencart » Thu Jul 17, 2014 6:39 pm

Just working on something else and stumbled across my own post, Jem I never said thanks for the VQ Mod and I still don't understand why it's not part of the core OC but hey ho!!!

Post by jseverson » Sun Jan 18, 2015 11:19 pm

Just stumbled across this thread while searching for a way to update the AddThis plugin to use a specific account. The VQMod works great but I thought I should point out that on line 6, there is a trailing space after the file name that was preventing the original line from being replaced.

<file name="catalog/view/theme/*/template/product/product.tpl ">

Should be changed to

<file name="catalog/view/theme/*/template/product/product.tpl">

Jeff Severson
J.T.S. Design, Inc.

Post by Jeremy Fisk » Mon Jan 19, 2015 4:28 am

jseverson wrote:Just stumbled across this thread while searching for a way to update the AddThis plugin to use a specific account. The VQMod works great but I thought I should point out that on line 6, there is a trailing space after the file name that was preventing the original line from being replaced.

<file name="catalog/view/theme/*/template/product/product.tpl ">

Should be changed to

<file name="catalog/view/theme/*/template/product/product.tpl">
Haha, i must have made the rookie mistake.. lols

Hand Dryers

Bookstore Mod
QuickShop Module
Restricted Access - Compulsory Login
Template Override - Category Specific (vQmod)
Template Override - Brand Specific (vQmod)
How did you find out about us register question mod
Compulsory Login vQmod
Brands In Top Menu
zoom - Product Image - Auto on hover