Post by tdc » Wed Feb 01, 2012 10:25 am

Hello,

The website is http://www.thedesigncrate.com/insidethecrate

I have a custom theme currently installed. I am able to view changes that I make to the stylesheet instantly but whenever I try to make changes to the template files (header.tpl, footer.tpl, home.tpl, etc.) none of the changes are showing up.

I have even tried switching to the default theme and making changes but none of the changes are showing up.

I cleared my browser cache and deleted the cache files Opencart automatically created but no changes to the template files are showing.

Can someone please help me troubleshoot this problem?

tdc

Post by merry » Wed Feb 01, 2012 11:47 am

tdc wrote:Hello,

The website is http://www.thedesigncrate.com/insidethecrate

I have a custom theme currently installed. I am able to view changes that I make to the stylesheet instantly but whenever I try to make changes to the template files (header.tpl, footer.tpl, home.tpl, etc.) none of the changes are showing up...Can someone please help me troubleshoot this problem?
Hi TDC,

Lovely site!

Here are the possibilities:

1. The changes are not actually being uploaded. Sometimes your ftp program settings will go rogue and refuse to overwrite a previous file. Just rename the file you are trying to overwrite like header-ORIGINAL.tpl, then upload the new one and test. OK?
2. Browser caching is unreliable or is set to "Never" look for new pages. Use a different browser (if you normally use FireFox, use Chrome, Safari etc.) for viewing. Make sure to hit Refresh until the page goes completely blank.
3. The changes are being uploaded to a different directory. Check the path 10x, on the 11th you might notice it is slightly different.
4. Permissions for files header.tpl, footer.tpl, home.tpl, etc. somehow got set to not allow you to write to them. Use cPanel's File Manager to check file permissions.

HTH!
Merry

Most answers are from my OpenCart 1.5 User Manual CURRENT TO 1.5.5.1 and includes free updates.
FREE HELP! 60-page user guide with OpenCart Admin Menu Cheatsheet, Install Guide & 30 Minute QuickStart Guide: http://showmeguides.com/

Location - Mexico and sometimes Texas

Post by tdc » Wed Feb 01, 2012 5:29 pm

Hello Merry,

Why, thank you! And thank you for your response. I have been troubleshooting all night and haven't found a solution. I went through all of your points and nothing seems to be working. Here is some additional info that I have found that may be relevant.

1. I noticed that the image upload for the logo section in Settings is buggy. I am able to upload images, but it just displays the filename without the image. However, the logo shows up when you view the store front.

2. At one point during my troubleshooting, I had deleted my custom theme via FTP and went into Settings and saw that my custom theme was still an option for the Template section although I had deleted it. I had even went through my hosting File Manager and deleted the custom theme and still no luck.

3. I contact my hosting company and they confirmed that the problem that I was facing was directly related to the OpenCart software so I didn't get any help from them really.

Any other suggestions? I am greatly appreciative.

tdc

Post by gjohncock » Tue Jan 15, 2013 7:14 am

Hi there,

I have been having this problem also. It seems after a time (30 mins or longer) the changes finally take which to me sounds like some sort of caching issue. The permissions are not a problem as I am editing them within the control panel and can see that the files contain my changes.

I have been making edits the following page:

opencart/catalog/view/theme/default/template/common/header.tpl

I made several changes and from what I could see I was targeting the right code but nothing seemed to change, even after clearing the browser cache. Then magically some time later the changes appear. very frustrating.

Anyways, I found a folder called:

opencart/vqmod/vqcache

And in it I found a file called:

vq2-catalog_view_theme_default_template_common_header.tpl

If I delete this file, my changes appear immediately on refresh (like the css file changes do).

As you can see, apart from the vq2- at the beginning of the filename, the rest of the filename reflects the exact file path but has underscores in place of the /.

I havent tested this with any other files at this stage but there are plenty of files in this folder that are template (.tpl) files. Im sure if you remove the corresponding files to the ones you are editing you should see your changes occur immediately.

So try a small test, this is what I did:
  • edited the header template file and inserted print 'HI THERE!';
    Save the file
    go to site and hit refresh - no change
    go to the vqmod/vqcache folder, delete the corresponding file
    go back to the site and hit refresh (F5)
    'HI THERE' magically appears in the page!
No need to clear browser cache at all!

Regards

Greg J
Hope this helps! it is certainly working for me.

Post by gjohncock » Tue Jan 15, 2013 7:41 am

Hi All,

On further investigation I have found that you can clear these files from within the OpenCart administrator panel.

Go to System > VQMod. at the bottom of the page there is a section called Settings and Maintenance where you will find a list of files in the cache. Just hit the Clear button then go to your site and hit refresh. You will notice the pages reload with the most recent changes.

Anyway, its all good now! (for me at least, hope the same works for you).

Cheers!

Greg J

Post by ravcom » Fri Dec 05, 2014 5:24 am

Hello,

I had the same issue, none of the above solve my issue, i clear all caches browsers and nothing. So i start digging for the specific file.

SOLUTION: I found my theme path on system/modification/path_to_file, i don't know how it should update this file, but after change this file i saw the result i wanted.

Hope it help.

Thanks.

Post by sully210 » Thu Mar 17, 2016 12:50 am

My problem still exists. I am modifying the code for header.tpl file via my control panel. I have tried everything in this thread and I have no header.tpl file in my vqcache. As a matter of fact, I renamed the vqcache directory and added a blank vqcache directory. I am still not seeing the changes I made even though the code in my cpanel is missing the code that keeps showing up. Can someone PLEASE tell me how to fix this.
Thank you.

Thank you,
Sully :)

Location - USA

Post by damitha1984 » Tue May 17, 2016 5:49 am

Hi guys

Any update on a fix for this issue.

I have been working on my website for a while now without any problems. Using FTP to update my files. All of a sudden any .tpl files or stylesheet.css file update does not show on the live site.

I checked the exact file (stylesheet.css) i modifed, using the File Manager on the server and I can see the changes have gone through.

But when I refresh the page I don't see the changes, when I inspect source and select the stylesheet.css , no changes have gone through.

Help?

Post by Rajeshwari » Tue May 24, 2016 5:32 pm

Hi

Am also facing the same issue,I had a file vqmod cache vq2-system_modification_admin_controller_common_menu.php , even after deleting the files my changes is not get reflected. Also I have tried clearing the cache . Can anyone say me how fix this issue.

Post by vynnus » Sun Jul 17, 2016 11:26 pm

I'm on the same boat.
My guess is that this is some related to the hosting server.
header.tpl is updated correctly. I can see the changes from the ftp.
However the changes are not reflected on source code in browser.
Curiously any changes made from the admin panel reflects on front-end.
I'll dig a little more tili I find the gold pot :)

Post by vynnus » Sun Jul 17, 2016 11:51 pm

ok, didn't have to dig that deep :)
the problem is related to one or more extension(s) that modifies header.tpl, in my case
so first go to extensions page and try to refresh the cache
if it didn't work you'll have to disable the extension that is modifying the file that you are editing
in extensions page click on the files tab. You'll see the extensions that are modifying your files
just disable the extension. Refresh the cache and update your front-end store again
if you really need that extension you have to find an workaround

in my case two extensions were modifying my header.tpl:
Facebook Open Graph Tags for Opencart v2.x - v1.1
NitroPack jQuery from Google

Post by vynnus » Mon Jul 18, 2016 12:08 am

if all above didn't work for you try the following:
keep the extensions that modifies your file disabled
still in extensions page hit the Clean button (that orange one with the erease icon)
do the changes in the template file
go back to extensions page and refresh the cache

defintelly a combination of what I decribed should work.
golden rule is: try to keep your store as clean as possible when related to extensions
they, sometimes, mess with the files and with your head

Post by sully210 » Sat Dec 03, 2016 11:45 am

So my problem was with module/latest.tpl. I customized it to have a Facebook feed, clickable driving directions from both text and a map image I created.
http://tequilasauthenticmexican.210worl ... ommon/home
The files on the server were correct but my problem was actually just with the Facebook feed. I fixed it by modifing the Facebook code.

As far as problems with header.tpl, I had to modify this file:

system\modification\catalog\view\theme\default\template\common\header.tpl

When I changed things there and uploaded the file, all my problems were fixed and I have a heavily modified header.tpl file. I don't even know why it is there but I hope this helps someone out.

Thank you,
Sully :)

Location - USA

Post by JakeLogan » Sun Oct 21, 2018 11:11 pm

Clear all folders and files in " /system/storage/cache/ "

Post by artasas » Tue Oct 08, 2019 6:20 am

JakeLogan wrote:
Sun Oct 21, 2018 11:11 pm
Clear all folders and files in " /system/storage/cache/ "
Thank you, you saved me!