Post by Qphoria » Thu Aug 11, 2011 5:04 am

Welcome to OpenCart v1.5.x!

This guide is aimed at people who are both new to OpenCart and for those coming from OpenCart 1.4.x

What's Different?
OpenCart 1.5.x has changed from 1.4.x quite a bit.
- New default theme
- New Global product options design
- New url class
- New Module system
- Tedious changes to all the code which makes almost all 1.4.x mods and addons incompatible with 1.5.x

Change isn't normally a bad thing, as it means progress. Some good, some bad.. but progress

Fresh Install
Installing OpenCart isn't much different than installing any other web based script (blog, forum, cms, etc)
1. Download the latest version of OpenCart
2. Read the "install.txt" file for details on each step. Create the database, upload the files, run the install, etc
3. Once installed , click the catalog first to see what it looks like and verify no immediate issues.
4. Now log into your admin and verify that is working.

Where do I begin?!?
The first thing you will want to do is get familiar with the admin menus. The main menu headings give a rough estimate of what each section contains. Then try a simple test order on the front end. Get to know your cart.

Main System Settings
The system settings are the main control area for your store settings. Go through them carefully.
1. Goto the System->Settings area and carefully read through each option. If you don't understand an option, ask about it in the forum. Adjust your settings and save. Be sure you see the successfully saved message.

Design Layouts
A new feature in 1.5.x is the layout designer. This is a very powerful feature and can be very granulated so it can get confusing fast. It is beneficial to click edit on the default layouts that come with the new install so that you can better understand how they work. Layouts refer to how the modules are laid out on the page. More info on that in the module section.
1. Goto System->Design->Layouts and edit the "Account" layout.
2. Note that it shows the Store "default" which is used for multistore and the route is "account/"
This means that for any page that has the "index.php?route=account/xxx" it will use this layout for that.
You can add additional routes to this to use the same layout as well if you like
You could even use an empty route value to make ALL routes use this layout (as long as you don't have the route listed in another layout).
3. So you could either keep all these individual routes OR get rid of them and keep only a few like "Default", "Home", and "Checkout".

If you only keep those 3, it makes it act a bit more like 1.4.x until you get more used to the new system. This way, any page aside from home or checkout will use the default layout so you can simply set modules one time to show on all pages.

The pros and cons to the Design system are that the new module system correlates to the layouts. If you have 10 layouts and want to have the same module on 8 of the layouts.. you have to add the module 8 times, and set the different layout for each. Some improvements with the ability to multiselect multiple layouts to a single module are planned for the future.

Adding Modules
This is another new feature that is related to the layout system so I'll cover it next.
Modules are "sideboxes" or "blocks" on the pages. Anytime you see a box like "Latest" or "Bestsellers", that is a module. Modules can be placed left/right/content-top/content-bottom, with "content" referring to the current page's own content.
1. Goto Extensions->Modules and you see the core modules that come with opencart. Edit a few of them to see all the fields and understand how they are populated.
2. Modules can be similar in features or completely different.
Compare the "Latest" module to the "Special" module and they look the same as they use the same structured data for the input. Now edit the welcome module and see how different that is.
3. As stated in the Design paragraph, Each module has a layout selection. You can assign the same module a different position on each layout if you want. So "latest" could be on the left side on the home page and the right side on the account page, etc. Again, this is a very powerful yet tedious feature depending on your layout setup.

You can always start simple with just one layout and have all the same modules on every page. This is what OpenCart v1.4.x did and many people were happy with it. As you find yourself getting more creative, you can add additional layouts assigned to routes, and then add those. So don't get too overwhelmed by the large quantity of default layouts.. They are just for example use. Delete all but the default and keep it simple.

Adding Categories
Now it is time to start adding your categories for your store to separate your products. OpenCart's category system is more of a "labelling" design, rather than a "folder" design. This means instead of creating a folder and then creating a product inside the folder, you create them both separately, and "link" them together. Products can be linked multiple categories and a linked product will show when that category is clicked on the store.
1. Click on Catalog->Category and you may see the demo categories that come with the default install. Edit one of them to see all the fields and understand how they are populated.
2. Now go back and click "Insert" from the list. Create your own category
--- a. The first tab has the name, description, and meta data
--- b. The second tab controls all the parent categories, properties, etc
--- c. The third tab is the design layout tab so you can choose which layout this category has. Again, start simple for now and expand later

Adding Products
1. Click on Catalog->Product and you may see the demo products that come with the default install. Edit one of them to see all the fields and understand how they are populated.
2. Now go back and click "Insert" from the list. Create your own product
--- a. The first tab has the name, description, and meta data
--- b. The second tab controls all the pricing, properties, etc
--- c. The third tab is how you link the product to other parts of the store. You can link your product to multiple categories, downloadable files, related products, and manufacturers. You will need to adjust these other areas first to have them listed here.
--- d. The fourth tab is for product attributes, used for common attributes among products. You create the attributes in the Catalog->Attribute menu. These are mainly used for the Compare system to do a side-by-side compare like you'd see on computer stores, etc.
--- e. The fifth tab is the product option tab. Product options are variants of the main product. For example:
Product: iPod
Color: Red/Green/Blue
Size: 16GB/32GB/64GB
The options system in 1.5.x is vastly different than the previous 1.x version of options. You first need to create option types in the Catalog->Options area. Then come to the product page and start typing the name of the option in the autosuggest box to associate it with the product. From there you fine tune the option with pricing, weight, etc specific to this particular product. For example.
Create an option in the Catalog->Option for a Select Box named "Color" and 2 values named "Blue" and "Red"
Now you can have Tshirt that associates the color option and the 2 colors with Red costing +1.00 and blue +2.00
You can also have a Had that associates the color option with the Red costing +3.00 and the Blue at +4.00
--- f. The next few tabs are for special pricing based on date and customer group, reward points, and finally the design override if you want a custom layout for this product.

More to come...

Administrator

Post by spgangwar » Sat Oct 15, 2011 4:42 pm

I am new to OpenCart and need to add addition forms to it. Is there any idea how to do it and what files needs to be changes for permissions?

Post by theevangelist10 » Tue Oct 18, 2011 4:56 pm

Same Here Is this compatible If I already have an existing hosting provider?

Post by liberalbid » Tue Oct 25, 2011 8:10 am

Hi guys
I continue to be impressed by everything OpenCart and am very thankful to Daniel and all the regular contributors here. I wanted to contibute in my own way so I've tried to keep notes of my experience with installing and configuring OpenCart in the hope that they can be used as a tutorial or guide for other new users. I've still got alot of notes to add but you can read what I've published so far at http://www.opencarttutorial.com.
I hope they are helpful.
Thanks again to everyone here for your support.

Post by Jeremy Fisk » Fri Oct 28, 2011 5:09 pm

@spgangwar

Further to your query...
spgangwar wrote:I am new to OpenCart and need to add addition forms to it. Is there any idea how to do it and what files needs to be changes for permissions?
it is possible for you to add forms... but can you please be a bit more specific... like what sort of fileds you are trying to add etc etc...

Chears

Jem

Hand Dryers

Bookstore Mod
QuickShop Module
Restricted Access - Compulsory Login
Template Override - Category Specific (vQmod)
Template Override - Brand Specific (vQmod)
How did you find out about us register question mod
Compulsory Login vQmod
Brands In Top Menu
zoom - Product Image - Auto on hover

Location - New Zealand (Tokomaru, Palmerston North)

Post by stark.jay » Wed Nov 30, 2011 11:55 pm

i want to migrate all my data which on my current site to the new latest updates version..

Post by Qphoria » Thu Dec 01, 2011 2:31 pm

Administrator

Post by cravindr » Sat Mar 10, 2012 9:00 pm

Dear Sir/Madam

I purchase new vps. in vps cpanel there no opencart software. pls guid me how to setup opencart in my cpanel

thanks
C.Ravi

Post by merry » Wed Mar 14, 2012 5:18 am

cravindr wrote:Dear Sir/Madam

I purchase new vps. in vps cpanel there no opencart software. pls guid me how to setup opencart in my cpanel

thanks
C.Ravi
Hi Cravindr,

You can get a free fully-illustrated guide on how to install & set up OpenCart using cPanel from the link in my signature.

Merry

Most answers are from my OpenCart 1.5 User Manual CURRENT TO 1.5.5.1 and includes free updates.
FREE HELP! 60-page user guide with OpenCart Admin Menu Cheatsheet, Install Guide & 30 Minute QuickStart Guide: http://showmeguides.com/

Location - Mexico and sometimes Texas

Post by Chadieu » Sat Mar 31, 2012 10:40 am

How can I add Fed Ex an DHL on shipping ? How can I add the proper NY tax ?

Post by learner&coder » Thu Apr 05, 2012 1:44 pm

I am begginer with opencart. Please Explain the word "escape" in this.

. $this->db->escape($data['firstname']) .

Thanx for your help.

Post by Qphoria » Thu Apr 05, 2012 10:59 pm

learner&coder wrote:I am begginer with opencart. Please Explain the word "escape" in this.

. $this->db->escape($data['firstname']) .

Thanx for your help.
Its a function of the db class
that class is located in system/library/database.php

Administrator

Post by cherishsos » Fri Apr 06, 2012 2:42 pm

O0 OK .got it , can try later ,thankyou

Post by learner&coder » Fri Apr 06, 2012 4:44 pm

i am begginer, i am not getting how to set template home page for putting module at different - different position. how mention position in home page. and i want to create a new page for employee details and emplyee login.
Please help me.

Post by erudite12 » Fri Apr 06, 2012 5:23 pm

PLEASE I'D LIKE A STEP TO STEP GUIDE ON INSTALLING MULTISTORE THAT WILL USE SINGLE SHIPPING CART! AND WOn't LOG OFF WHEN USERS TRY TO MOVE FROM ONE OF MY STORE TO ANOTHER, (IN GENERAL I WANT TO RUN A SINGLE SHOP WITH MULTI STORE). MY Script ids opncart.VERSION iS 1.5.2.1 .. PLEASE EVERY STEP IS IMPORTANT. I'm CONTACTING YOU GUYS DIRECTLY BECAUSE IN THE FORUM THE ANSWERS ARE SCATTERED ALL OVER.. PLEASE i'D SO MUCH APPRECIATE YOUR HELP.

Here is one thing i noticed in all instructions on setting up multistore that I found online, They all spoke of subdomain addition. HERE IS MY QUESTIONS: YES SUBDOMAIN... but what next? AM I NOT suppose to upload the files to that subdomain? OR DOES THE SUBDOMAIN AUTO GENERATES THE OTHER FILES AFTER THE ADMIN>>> SETTINGS CONFIG? PLEASE I'm JUST CONFUSED THAT IS WHY I NEED HELP STRAIGHT FROM YOU GUYS.

Post by chakra » Sat Apr 07, 2012 4:49 am

Thanks Opencart for your universal help, I read about this from google and tried to install it on my server and found a little messy for universal installation procedure, kindly make a blankdb.sql file for sql database creating, cause install.php file is always not working well, if you make a blank database maker text file and include it with your next update that will be better for us.. I include it with this post, hope it will help some people like me,

Thanks & Regards
Sanjit Chakraborty
India

Attachments

Database Structure for those people who wants to make the db direct from phpmyadmin panel

Post by Digmen1 » Sun Apr 15, 2012 11:08 am

Thanks for this intro tutorial.

I was having trouble understanding what the layouts do.
Now I have a much better understanding of them.

Post by Ajeno » Wed Apr 18, 2012 8:44 pm

I have to admit, I'm a complete novice with OpenCart. Infact, this is the first time I have ever integrated a shopping cart into a website. Going by what I've read so far, it would appear, I can do nothing with Open Cart, until it's installed onto the sever which will host my website.
I have already designed the layout to my site, but can I simply add the shopping cart to the site?
Can I safely assume it will all make sense to me, once I'm being hosted?
PLEASE HELP!! :-[

Post by Qphoria » Wed Apr 18, 2012 11:29 pm

Ajeno wrote:I have to admit, I'm a complete novice with OpenCart. Infact, this is the first time I have ever integrated a shopping cart into a website. Going by what I've read so far, it would appear, I can do nothing with Open Cart, until it's installed onto the sever which will host my website.
I have already designed the layout to my site, but can I simply add the shopping cart to the site?
Can I safely assume it will all make sense to me, once I'm being hosted?
PLEASE HELP!! :-[
You can host it locally if you want first

Administrator

Post by Ajeno » Thu Apr 19, 2012 4:28 pm

That sounds like a good plan!
When I woke up, this morning, thinking about it. I got the impression I could make my own "add to cart", and "View cart" buttons. And I just tell Opencart to associate the buttons to what they're meant to do.
One last thing. Once I've worked it all out. The design etc. Amd I able to save the template? Or do I need to write it all down, and do it again, once I've passed the website over to a host?
Thank you for all your advice by the way. You're a star! ;D