Post by soamjena » Sun Oct 29, 2017 2:06 am

Hi, we are moving our digital downloads Templates store from Joomla to Opencart now and we have a lot of custom fields which we did in Joomla and it does so nicely in Joomla, click add, define the field ID in product tpl page and voila!

Now Im lost with opencart, how to achieve that thing ?

For example, for each template, we have to show compatibility image, which will vary from product to product.
we have to show small buttons like DEMO, ADMIN DEMO, STORE DEMO, DOCUMENTATION, SETUP VIDEO.
And define unique details on each of those buttons in the backend, so when clicked on frontend, it takes to the right URL.

SO how to do achieve in Opencart ?

Post by IP_CAM » Sun Oct 29, 2017 10:33 am

Well, it's gonna be some way, I am not so sure, if you are aware of the work
involved, since most everything will exist, in some form, but you will have to
'combine' different Extensions, to change/add some Custom Stuff around in
different Places, to make your dreams come true. :choke:

But this will require some OC Code and System Knowledge, not to mention
the time, used to search, find & test best matching Mods, and then implant
their functions, where they should display and do their Job best.

A couple of 100 hours, I guess, should be planned, to invest, to get this done
well, if one has some PHP/HTML/CSS/JS - but no OC/MVC(L) specific Wisdom.

The other Problem is, that you'll not get very much help here, when it comes to
extended free support. It's all about business, never ever ignore this major fact.
And don't expect anything, you would not give yourself, on costly wisdom, to others,
and for free.

But this is not written, to scare you off. :D It's just a warning, to all those newbies,
expecting free heaven and assistance here, to hopefully get rich quick, for free! :laugh:

I would think about that change one more time...
Good Luck!
Ernie

My Github OC Site: https://github.com/IP-CAM
5'200 + FREE OC Extensions, on the World's largest private Github OC Repository Archive Site.

Legendary Member

Location - Switzerland

Post by soamjena » Sun Oct 29, 2017 10:40 am

Oops!
So Opencart doesnt support custom product page attributes out of the box, really ? :O:O:O

Post by IP_CAM » Sun Oct 29, 2017 10:53 am

Sure it does, but not quite in the way you want them, I assume.
But it's not only about attributes, you mentioned a whole bunch of wishes above...
So, why not doenload and install a copy, then, you could try it out ! :D
Ernie

5'200 + FREE OC Extensions, on the World's largest private Github OC Repository Archive Site.

Legendary Member

Location - Switzerland

Post by soamjena » Sun Oct 29, 2017 11:02 am

In mean creating fields on the fly in the admin backend and then just taking the ID or unique name the field and defining the php to output on the product page.

Post by IP_CAM » Sun Oct 29, 2017 12:57 pm

Legendary Member

Location - Switzerland

Post by soamjena » Sun Oct 29, 2017 4:58 pm

Ok, Im on latest 3.x though.
It seems mostly features are not available out of the box, which should be.
:(
May be end up custom coding every tiny thing here.

Post by soamjena » Sun Oct 29, 2017 5:00 pm

Ok, Im on latest 3.x though.
:(
May be end up custom coding every tiny thing here.

Post by IP_CAM » Mon Oct 30, 2017 4:09 am

Well, if everything would be part of OC by default, OC would not be able to create
a single Dollar, due to nill Extension Sale Kickbacks. But some people just
don't seem to understand this business model, they probably really believe, to have
found a free heaven, built for the only purpose, to make everybody in the whole World
able to run a free Income-Generator, and backed by a User-Forum, where God's angels
eagerly wait, to be of free Service for all those brave sheeps ::)

But this is not the case. And not much of a problem either, for those at least, checking
out first, before using a new Tool, and even killing the Existing One first, in their Rush,
to sucessfully get their Products online in the latest Design.

This is, what separates the Forever-Newbies from the Pro's, Newbies count on Believe,
Ad's and Rumors, Pro's on knowledge and experience. And lots of Knowledge exists
on the Web on OC, if one cares to look for it first, before trying to get it to work.

And with only a few Exeptions, most of those, frequently assisting here for free, are also
Dev's, and they use this place, to mainly advertize their Knowledge and Services, in the
hope, to so frequently also generate some income. But from the OC USER-Side, during
my stay around here at least, very FEW of them ever came here, to assist someone else,
most take, what they need, and they're gone again. But they sure not tell their secrets to
anyone, since the fellow helped could easy turn out to be a future Competitor ..... :choke:

It's therefore better, to be reasonable, OC is a fine Tool, for those, able to handle it. But OC
NEVER made a difference between Users, for OC, they are ALL Part of the worldwide DEV
Community. That's why so many don't mention, what OC Version they use, they just don't know.

It's done on Purpose, I assume, and to demonstrate, that there is NO final OC Version,
and therefore, LATEST Versions always are the most vulnerable Versions, since they
have not even be tested on a broader Scale.

And I was only talking about OC, there are other potential Sources, leading to failures. Like
those ever-newbie-Upgrade-Attempts, Custom Themes, and Custom Extensions. They all
add their part to problems, but OC can also not be held responsible for this.

So, it's more a tailbiter Situation, as I look at it. Whatever OC does, some of it will backfire
to those, not beeing aware of, what it is, and/or partly blinded by shiny Front Page Ads ... 8)

We had a rainy day today, if you know what I mean...
Ernie

Legendary Member

Location - Switzerland

Post by soamjena » Mon Oct 30, 2017 11:59 am

I know, we have been developing and selling extensions for Joomla and Magento for almost 8 years now.
But we are new to Opencart.
May be I will have to hire someone from Upwork and get things done.

Any recommended devs list in opencart who does freelancing ?