Post by jens1seo » Fri Apr 24, 2015 10:30 pm

Hi
Site went down all of a sudden with this error. We are ecommerce shop and need to get back up.

Parse error: syntax error, unexpected '}' in /home/www/zorgcomfortwinkel.eu/vqmod/vqcache/vq2-catalog_controller_common_header.php on line 272

Only changes that were made was that I flushed the cache to update the meta tags I created so they would index on power suite reports. Next morning the site went down can any one tell me Why?? I really appreciate help!

J

Post by labeshops » Sat Apr 25, 2015 1:55 am

Did you accidentally use a } in the meta tags you created?? That's the first thing I would check.

Running Opencart v3.0.3.2 with multi-stores and the default template from https://www.labeshops.com which has links to all my stores.

Expert Member

Location - Florida, USA

Post by jens1seo » Sat Apr 25, 2015 2:52 pm

I am using the open cart seo pro module. Maybe it could be the module thats added the } tag. I did indeed clean up meta tags

Post by victorj » Sat Apr 25, 2015 4:28 pm

First delete all files found in vqmod/cache, if that does not solve it, disable your seo module.
By disabeling your vqmods one by one you can pinpoint wich module is creatoing the error.
Once found you can correct and solve your problem.

Koeltechnische deurrubbers eenvoudig online op maat bestellen.
Alle niet stekplichtige onderdelen zoals scharnieren, sloten, randverwarming en verlichting voor alle typen koelingen en vriezers.
https://koelcel-onderdelen.com

Expert Member

Location - Alkmaar Holland

Post by OSWorX » Sat Apr 25, 2015 5:12 pm

jens1seo wrote:Hi
Site went down all of a sudden with this error. We are ecommerce shop and need to get back up.

Parse error: syntax error, unexpected '}' in /home/www/zorgcomfortwinkel.eu/vqmod/vqcache/vq2-catalog_controller_common_header.php on line 272

Only changes that were made was that I flushed the cache to update the meta tags I created so they would index on power suite reports. Next morning the site went down can any one tell me Why?? I really appreciate help!

J
This is an excellent example of a case like do not do it this way and how should I ask for help
First, you tell us that you are an ecommerce shop.
Well, if not you would not use this software.

Second, never play around with an working shop!
Whenever you want to play around - e.g. installing a new extension or making an update - test it BEFORE in your testshop!
Have no testshop? Bad, you should have!

Third, you are asking for help.
Basically we are fine with that - the forum is here for such questions.

But (!!) you did not state
1. which shop version
2. which additional extensions are installed (or plain installation)
3. which template is used
4. what have you done / changed (before the shop was not working anymore)

Every reader of your post has to assume what you have might done.
An indication is the line where it says

Code: Select all

which tell us that you are using VQMod.

Conclusion: whenever someone has a problem, post as much as possible.
We are no clairvoyants!
And whenever you add an extension, ask first the developer of that extension!

Full Stack Web Developer :: Dedicated OpenCart Development & Support DACH Region
Contact for Custom Work / Fast Support.

Guru Member

Location - Austria

Post by IP_CAM » Sat Apr 25, 2015 11:28 pm

hat ihn wohl etwas hart getroffen, dabei hat er ja 'fast' nichts verändert...
'Toujours, le même Schtoss', wie man hier zu sagen pflegt... :D

My Github OC Site: https://github.com/IP-CAM
5'200 + FREE OC Extensions, on the World's largest private Github OC Repository Archive Site.

Legendary Member

Location - Switzerland

Post by OSWorX » Sun Apr 26, 2015 3:13 pm

Tjo, das Leben kann hart sein ..

Full Stack Web Developer :: Dedicated OpenCart Development & Support DACH Region

Guru Member

Location - Austria

Post by rph » Sun Apr 26, 2015 9:07 pm

OSWorX wrote:Conclusion: whenever someone has a problem, post as much as possible.
We are no clairvoyants!
I do agree users generally don't provide enough information for troubleshooting but in this case it is a fairly straightforward instance of a vQmod "replace" operation failing. It's a great example of why developers should avoid replace like the plague. I wrote a bit about it at http://wiki.opencarthelp.com/doku.php?i ... _all_costs .

-Ryan

rph
Expert Member

Location - Lincoln, Nebraska

Post by IP_CAM » Mon Apr 27, 2015 1:31 am

OSWorX wrote:Conclusion: whenever someone has a problem, post as much as possible.
We just expect to much. Everybody. Users, Visitors, Designers, Shop-Builders, because we all live today in a world of - quick-get, quick-heat, quick-eat, quick-feed, quick-work, push-button and get it - Solutions, and Expectations. It's as easy as uploading a Mod. Or APP, as they call it, today. Usually, at least. ;)

But it's the system itself, what corrupt's the idea. Compare it with OC, as it comes, by default. One could easy remove half of the source content of a bloody Product.tpl Page, without doing any harm, to anything, because most of those Things, removed, will possibly never see the light of reality anyway, they are just never used, by at least half of the OC-Population. :'(

That's, where ist starts. By the Concept, the Idea, to pre-implement as much as possible, from the Start. I compare it with the EveryAuction 'Bases', 15 Years ago. A simple 50KB ZIP, doing nothing, but enabling one to start a fully working online auction, from a to z, in the poorest, worst possible, visual design, imaginable. But it worked, and it got to be the Bases of/for a good Number of succesfull Online Sites, eqipped with indexing routines, MySql-DB's, and most everything, we still know and use today :D

OC, among most other Pieces of Software, does already to much, by default. It would be much more easier to handle, if not so much would be/stay, in the way, adding to intransparency, at best. Take the language Matter, as one single detail, how many single 'Variables', 'Words', or what one wants to call it, it requires, troughout the entire Software, just to present one single Language, possibly, in Use. Unbelieveble, how much much it takes, from a simple Users point of view, like me, a Coder Gizmo. THERE WOULD BE easier, more transparent, WAYS to set/add/implement ,i.E., Languages, we had such 15 Years ago, already.

I compare it with my XP, I'm still using, on a daily scale. It's a similar case, it contains a few hundred Megabytes of THINGS, I possibly never knew about, never ever used, and it so waste's a lot of time, doing things, I don't know why...

I have no intention to sound critical. It's just the way, I feel, personally, coming from a time, when Programmers tried, to use as little Code as possible, to get something to work, they/we had no hardware, capable of handling stuff like OC type PHP-Frameworks, on Servers, and/or it was just to expensive to get. But today, hardware is no longer Problem, it's cheap and fast. As a consequence of this, Programmers got fat, possibly from eating to much Junk Food, and drinking to much beer, and the same happen to their software. Probably. And nobody really ever asked for such, in the first place. It could all have been offered, as Option. To ADD, no just switch ON, because it's already installed, and hard-coded as well, into the source, by default!

As a consequence of this, a Newbie could never even move a simple Product page Section into another 'place', to make it look, as it should, without taking the risk, or breaking the entire Page. Just as sample...

LESS would be more, to start with. It's not gonna work, the way, it's been tried. It's too much, of everything, already. And as long as THEMES, by example, even replace default source files, in parts, it does not matter, how well it has been planned, for the Use of VqMods, or others, it still will raise problems, all over the place.

Matt Hahnfeld, the EveryAuction 'Engineer', never had SUCH problems, he just wrote the 'working ENGINE', and everything else was not his Problem. I Addition, NOONE was 'bound' on/to anything, ever, exept for, to keep it working, as an auction Site had to...

Life starts simple, Software should too... ::)

But it's just my personal View, as a person, just trying to understand, how something works. For decades already, but still unable, to write a single Regex-Line, just out of my Brain. But beeing a thief, I at least know, how they look, and what they're 'worth', I can even handle 'em. But most other peoples are not even Thief's, and fully unaware of Regex'es, as well, and that's where the real problems start, in real Life, trying to get something done... ! :D

As a consequence, we have to take, what we get. Like my Wife, I had to take her, she was the only one, in an already partly 'enhanced' Version, available, for free, at that time. Something like a FLAT DB Server Setup, driven by a Z80 CPU, 32KB RAM, but already built in a nice looking Surrounding, like the Commodore 8032, I used and loved so much!
http://classiccmp.org/dunfield/pet/index.htm

I got used to her, for the past 40+ Years, and I got used to OC, at least, the version, used. It's not so bad, after all, it just takes, some time, to make 'em, as planned... ;D
But since you got'em, use 'em, they came for free! :laugh:

just imaginations!
no offense ! ;D
Ernie

I'm glad, she's not reading this :choke:
Last edited by IP_CAM on Mon Apr 27, 2015 4:10 am, edited 2 times in total.

5'200 + FREE OC Extensions, on the World's largest private Github OC Repository Archive Site.

Legendary Member

Location - Switzerland

Post by OSWorX » Mon Apr 27, 2015 3:42 am

Well spoken Ernie!
Too many are not thinking enough.
IP_CAM wrote:I'm glad, she's not reading this :choke:
If she would, you would need to stay alone the next years .. with your Commodore.

Guru Member

Location - Austria

Post by IP_CAM » Mon Apr 27, 2015 4:11 am

She cannot read englisch... :D

Legendary Member

Location - Switzerland

Post by Dhaupin » Tue Apr 28, 2015 4:46 am

Goto the file /vqmod/vqcache/vq2-catalog_controller_common_header.php and look on line 272.

Now go backwards in the file until you encounter a missing semicolon, missing apostrophe/quote, a missing {, or an extra }

https://creadev.org | support@creadev.org - Opencart Extensions, Integrations, & Development. Made in the USA.

Location - PA

Post by Dhaupin » Tue Apr 28, 2015 4:50 am

Goto the file /vqmod/vqcache/vq2-catalog_controller_common_header.php and look on line 272. Now go backwards in the file until you encounter a missing semicolon/apostrophe/quote/comma, a missing {, or an extra }
rph wrote:...in this case it is a fairly straightforward instance of a vQmod "replace" operation failing. It's a great example of why developers should avoid replace like the plague.
Agree...nice post too. Offset is FAR more evil though. At least replace has limited stability based on mod render order and assumed minimal string targets (ie as few unique chars as possible). So if you are avoiding replace like the plague, avoid offset like its your guaranteed insta-death

https://creadev.org | support@creadev.org - Opencart Extensions, Integrations, & Development. Made in the USA.

Location - PA

Post by rph » Tue Apr 28, 2015 9:52 am

Dhaupin wrote:Offset is FAR more evil though.
Absolute. I didn't mention it because the vQmod docs advise strongly against it already and it doesn't get used much. Replace on the other hand is the de facto standard.
At least replace has limited stability based on mod render order and assumed minimal string targets (ie as few unique chars as possible). So if you are avoiding replace like the plague, avoid offset like its your guaranteed insta-death
The question is, why would you strongly couple your code if you didn't absolutely have to? Replace may be a necessary evil at times but it's still an evil.

-Ryan

rph
Expert Member

Location - Lincoln, Nebraska