Post by and1 » Sun Sep 08, 2013 9:06 pm

Hi,

the problem is either with me or with opencart, but I just spent a couple of hours trying to change the product.tpl for a specific product without any success.
If I change the default product.tpl that works, but I want this for one product only, so:
- I copied default/template/product/product.tpl to default/template/product2/product2.tpl
- I changed product2.tpl to see if the changes reflect on the product page
- I added the new layout at system/design/layouts with route setting product2/product2
- I added this layout to override the layout for my specific product

The result is nothing! It still reads the original product.tpl when I open that product...

Post by and1 » Mon Sep 09, 2013 12:05 am

What I really need is a single product page, is it possible to have a single product page instead of what I have currently? Either redirecting to the product page or modifying the current index page?
Can someone help me with this? I can pay.

Post by butte » Mon Sep 09, 2013 3:25 am

There is one product.tpl, and that is THE product.tpl, it is pulled up every time it is needed. That IS "a single product page". If you meant instead "a single-product page" (hyphenated) that can be different for every product, then you can actually insert code into products' Description boxes, although you would need to be careful in setting up category and subcategory assignments in order to pull them up as distinctive WITHIN what product.tpl paints to screen. In order to do that TOGGLE Source mode ON (top left side of the Description box). Otherwise, whatever code you put in there will be mangled.

Guru Member

Post by granddaddy » Mon Sep 09, 2013 5:09 am

When you create a new layout to use with 'layout override', the route in the layout is the route to the CONTROLLER, not the TPL. To duplicate the entire product layout to product2, you would have to:
1. Duplicate the product.php in the controller folder.
(That controller file does 3 things: it calls the relevant Language file to get its text strings, then it calls the Model file to get the database data, then finally it assembles all that data with the html in the product.tpl in the View folder.)
2. If you need your static texts to be different in your new layout, you will need to duplicate the Language file aswell.
3. Then duplicate the .tpl file.
4. Next, you will need to edit whatever files you duplicated, to find the points where they refer to the other files, so you can change it to refer to your new files.

This is just a rough idea of the principle. There is a bit more to it. You should read the 'cloning' guide in the tutorial section of the forum, to understand it fully.

Post by and1 » Wed Sep 11, 2013 5:15 am

thanks! What I meant was that all I really need is a "one pager" which opens up I open my shop, no search, no featured items, nothing, just the product page itself, because I just have one product that I'm selling and I want that to open when someone sees my shop.
butte wrote:There is one product.tpl, and that is THE product.tpl, it is pulled up every time it is needed. That IS "a single product page". If you meant instead "a single-product page" (hyphenated) that can be different for every product, then you can actually insert code into products' Description boxes, although you would need to be careful in setting up category and subcategory assignments in order to pull them up as distinctive WITHIN what product.tpl paints to screen. In order to do that TOGGLE Source mode ON (top left side of the Description box). Otherwise, whatever code you put in there will be mangled.

Post by and1 » Wed Sep 11, 2013 5:19 am

thank you this is useful, wish I'd found something like this in the layout in the docs, I feel that is really lacking that info here:
http://docs.opencart.com/display/opencart/Layouts

As mentioned above, I just have one product (which I'd like to show up on my index page), so maybe the easiest way is to just edit the default product.tpl that I have. The reason I didn't want to do that was that that is a core file and I thought that might cause problems when I upgrade opencart later. Of course I could use vqMod for this, but I don't really like that concept to be honest, it feels hackish.
granddaddy wrote:When you create a new layout to use with 'layout override', the route in the layout is the route to the CONTROLLER, not the TPL. To duplicate the entire product layout to product2, you would have to:
1. Duplicate the product.php in the controller folder.
(That controller file does 3 things: it calls the relevant Language file to get its text strings, then it calls the Model file to get the database data, then finally it assembles all that data with the html in the product.tpl in the View folder.)
2. If you need your static texts to be different in your new layout, you will need to duplicate the Language file aswell.
3. Then duplicate the .tpl file.
4. Next, you will need to edit whatever files you duplicated, to find the points where they refer to the other files, so you can change it to refer to your new files.

This is just a rough idea of the principle. There is a bit more to it. You should read the 'cloning' guide in the tutorial section of the forum, to understand it fully.

Post by and1 » Wed Sep 11, 2013 5:21 am

Oh and if anyone of you is interested in either taking on this project (the opencart part of it), or tutoring me (for an hourly fee maybe) let me know, this is a paid project for me, I posted about it here already, but I didn't get any responses:
http://forum.opencart.com/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=104516

Post by labeshops » Wed Sep 11, 2013 9:48 pm

If you are only selling 1 product and only need that single product page to be your website, opencart is overkill for you. It would be a lot simpler to build a single page website and embed a checkout like mals-e.com checkout buttons, Paypal buy now, or amazon buy buttons into it than modify a database driven cart like opencart to handle just 1 product.

Running Opencart v3.0.3.2 with multi-stores and the default template from https://www.labeshops.com which has links to all my stores.

Expert Member

Location - Florida, USA

Post by and1 » Thu Sep 12, 2013 6:42 am

I was thinking of it being an overkill too, but I do need registrations, checkout functionalities, as well as paying options (paypal and credit cards - I understand the latter might not be that simple), so I was thinking if opencart is easy to setup it wouldn't hurt that I use less than it offers (the user couldn't navigate to any other pages).
What I wanted to achieve was to simply make the product page my index page, and customize that so that it only has an add to cart button, and the configurable options (price calculation would depend on those, and probably it would be easier to write my own script for that if it's possible somehow).
This mals-e looks good, I will investigate. Do you think I could pull off what I need with it?
thank you!
labeshops wrote:If you are only selling 1 product and only need that single product page to be your website, opencart is overkill for you. It would be a lot simpler to build a single page website and embed a checkout like mals-e.com checkout buttons, Paypal buy now, or amazon buy buttons into it than modify a database driven cart like opencart to handle just 1 product.

Post by butte » Sat Sep 14, 2013 10:47 am

Think big: you add a second product. You still want registration, payment, etc., covered. Sooner or later a cart will be necessary.

Think small: simple page for a forever single product, de minimus navigation, simple Pay Now button to PayPal. But no registration, etc., that you wanted, without fiddling with it for longer than OC takes to install and initially set up.

Either way you need a domain and registrar, and a website and host. You evidently have those, plus the OC here.

Guru Member

Post by labeshops » Sat Sep 14, 2013 8:33 pm

and1 wrote:This mals-e looks good, I will investigate. Do you think I could pull off what I need with it?
thank you!
The free mals-e.com will do all this for you. It handles checkout and keeps track of orders/registrations, etc. All you need to do is design your page, set up a free account with them, and pop in their buy now button. I used it for my payment processor for nearly 5 years prior to switching to opencart.

Haven't used them in a while, but they also used to have a desktop utility to let you download your orders to your computer which was great for keeping contact with customers and remembering what they ordered.

If you get to the point of needing to handle multiple products, that would be the time to go with opencart.

Running Opencart v3.0.3.2 with multi-stores and the default template from https://www.labeshops.com which has links to all my stores.

Expert Member

Location - Florida, USA

Post by butte » Sat Sep 14, 2013 10:25 pm

http://www.mals-e.com/featuresChart.php vs. http://www.opencart.com

LIMITATIONS-------------------------------------Free--------Premium--------OC
Products sold for download on the internet-----50-------------3500---------n
Number orders per day up to:--------------------30--------------150---------N
Cost----------------------------------------------FREE----------$8 p/m--------$0

Guru Member

Post by and1 » Tue Sep 17, 2013 12:40 am

Thanks for the answer guys!

To be more exact, this is what I currently have, this is the editor:
http://andrewvarga.com/works/crl/shapeEditor/

and it should have a shopping functionality like this:
http://n-e-r-v-o-u-s.com/cellCycle/

so essentially:
- custom price calculation (if I could just supply the price calculated with javascript that would be the best)
- add to cart, registration, checkout
- paying with paypal, credit cards

I'm guessing this would be a low traffic site with quite small number of purchases so the above numbers for mals-e would fit it well. But other than that, is it good for this list of features? Can I customize the price and add the ability to pay buy credit cards?
thanks!

Post by butte » Tue Sep 17, 2013 8:19 am

Through PayPal you can set up Pay Now buttons that are securely pre-encoded, you can provide dropdown options, you can take cards and PayPal accounts, and you can put all of that and more on one short page, no cart. You can add whatever knocks your socks off in registration and whatnot. You can find all manner of code at sourceforge.net and other well known project websites, in php and js and whatever else, they range from free but better than commercial to commercial or free that should never have been published, caveat emptor.

Guru Member

Post by and1 » Wed Oct 09, 2013 3:04 am

Hey guys,

thanks, I've made some research, PayPal seems like a good option for accepting credit cards. I think I won't even need mals-e, I can just add a PayPal "buy" button.

The only problem I have with PayPal is that I can only moderately customize the payment page (adding a header, footer, etc). Is there a way to have complete control over the payment page by building my own HTML/CSS maybe with the PayPal API?

My other question is that what are the disadvantages of using PayPal for credit card processing (I'm guessing transaction fees plus conversation fees which apply to me being in Europe) and what would be the alternative options?
For small scale businesses (a few thousand dollars per month tops) PayPal is a good option?

Post by butte » Wed Oct 09, 2013 3:59 am

You can have greater or lesser control according to which kind of PayPal account you have. If you want complete control, you need the top end. Look inside your account for the kinds available at what cost for what freedoms with how much headache (such as for look and feel versus just getting the bill collected prepaid).

Stateside PayPal rates, domestic and international both, are less than other processors charge. Apparently we enjoy lower rates than European processors charge, too, and as long as you aren't too far east you should have few PayPal restrictions and probably a PayPal center there on the continent.

Guru Member

Post by and1 » Wed Oct 09, 2013 4:15 am

Thanks! Do you know where I can find a comparison of the account types and the amount of customization they provide? I'm really not lazy, been trying to find info regarding this for hours but without luck..
My current account is the most basic I think, I just used it for buying, I'll register a new one for selling.

Post by butte » Wed Oct 09, 2013 4:25 am

You evidently still need a Merchant/Business account (lingo is changing, they're the same, as opposed to Personal). PayPal gives you summaries of the different account types. They are short. You can also Search (button top right) for PayPal + Qphoria and find all sorts of terse and lucid explanations for the PayPal variants and their Gewerken.

Guru Member