Post by dazthephot » Wed May 08, 2013 4:26 pm

Opencart Version 1.5.1

Hi all,

I have a client that sells doors and drawer fronts for kitchens. These doors come in a mixture of lengths, widths, colours at different prices.
I created a category called doors/drawers and created a sub category for each component. ie one for doors and one for drawers. I then included an option drop down with every conceivable size option.

The client didn't like it as the list was too long on the page and the price weightng was shown next to each option (+£1.00, +£2.00) etc

Is there an extension that would allow the following?

New product has one drop down for length and one for width
The product price auto updates
The price weightings are not shown in the drop down
AND HERE IS THE BIGGY.....if a punter selects the length first, only the available widths for that length are shown so not to be able to select an odd size combination.

Regards for any help
Darren

Post by inactiveaccount9912 » Wed May 08, 2013 5:33 pm

Seems like you need a combination of 2 extension: One is Dependable options and one is Live price Update. Search them both in the extension directory, youll find them and probably some similar ones, check well the comments and the descriptions of each extension and make sure the ones you choose are compatible with eachother.

Expert Member

Post by dazthephot » Wed May 08, 2013 5:56 pm

Thank you, i'll have a good look at those.

Post by dazthephot » Thu May 09, 2013 7:21 pm

Hi Flo,
Is it 'dependable' or 'dependant' options?

Post by inactiveaccount9912 » Fri May 10, 2013 2:31 am

Right, sorry, dependent, this one by rph http://www.opencart.com/index.php?route ... %20options , great extension , great developer, make sure the live price update you get is compatible with it or has a patch for it.

Expert Member

Post by dazthephot » Fri May 10, 2013 4:34 pm

Great, thanks Flo.

For the moment i've tackled the easy bit with Option Price Update Redux (had the ability to hide the [+£1.00, +£2.00] prefix)

The next step is to see how i can adapt Dependant Options to what i need. I guess in the old days it would be the 'if', 'and', 'then' arguments i.e if height = 1000 and width = 500 then price equals £25.00

does that make sense?

Ebay does it by letting you input all the height x width combinations then your listing shows a seperate drop down for height and width. If your selected combination is not present then that dimension is not shown. like this:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Gloss-White-D ... 68cf29e7a5

Post by inactiveaccount9912 » Sat May 11, 2013 2:20 am

It makes sense, doesnt dependent options allready do that? Or I belive there might be something else for that like Options Combinations, but I dont think they could all work at same time.

Since it width X height why dont you sell it per square feet or square meter?
Ex: Options:
1 m2 (1x1)
1 m2 (0.5x2)
2 m2 (1x2)
2 m2 (0.5x4)
2 m2 (0.2x10)

I think that as long as there arent more than 30-40 choices that could work.

Expert Member

Post by dazthephot » Fri May 17, 2013 11:51 pm

That would work for sure. The sticking point is that the people who buy these products aren't used to purchasing by square meter. They always shop by - if it's a replacement door they choose height first to fit their repsective carcass and then they choose the appropriate width.

To you and i it is simple but the punters don't neccesarily think like us and the putchase options are kind industry lead.

I've managed to keep te client happy by breaking down the producst into different categories and listing the size options as a drop down. It's not perfect but works for now until i can have a closer look at Dependant Options.

thanks