Post by QNAP » Sat May 21, 2011 4:57 pm

Daniel , I hope you agree. It is crucial.
There should be firm timelines (padded, of course) which are met most of the time. If it turns out they're not being met very often, more padding is required. That's what communication is all about. Many people (store owners, customers, developers, designers) rely on good information so they can make business decisions based on that. Again, I really think there needs to be a dedicated page on the OpenCart website which lists what will be in the next version and its expected release date, as well as what is planned for each future version.
+1

Post by grgr » Sat May 21, 2011 9:36 pm

So I've been having a play and keeping up to date with the SVN releases and it all seems to be plodding along nicely, however...

With the redesign, I'm not sure if it is just me but there seems to be a bit of a glaring problem with the shopping cart/checkout in as much as the discount code and gift vouchers are now located in the shopping cart instead of the checkout page. This is fine in itself except I can see this being a bit of a problem for customers and the resulting onslought of phone calls and emails with people wondering where they put the discount code in (I get this sometimes already on my oscomm shop and the discount code box couldn't be much clearer!). The way around it would be to redirect all add to cart functions to the shopping cart page or to redirct the checkout buttons to the shopping cart page before continuing on to the actual checkout.

The shopping cart page is excellent as it shows the total amount payable before you have to go through the checkout so the logic of having the discounts applied here is sound, but people have to find it to be able to use it and I think most people would automatically go straight to the checkout page.

Perhaps it's just me...?

-
Image Image Image Image
VIEW ALL EXTENSIONS * EXTENSION SUPPORT * WEBSITE * CUSTOM REQUESTS

Location - UK

Post by opencartisalright » Sat May 21, 2011 11:23 pm

grgr wrote:With the redesign, I'm not sure if it is just me but there seems to be a bit of a glaring problem with the shopping cart/checkout in as much as the discount code and gift vouchers are now located in the shopping cart instead of the checkout page...The shopping cart page is excellent as it shows the total amount payable before you have to go through the checkout so the logic of having the discounts applied here is sound, but people have to find it to be able to use it and I think most people would automatically go straight to the checkout page.

Perhaps it's just me...?
It's not just you, I've noticed that too. I understand why all the coupon codes and rewards points etc. are on the cart page, but as a customer can completely bypass it and go straight to the checkout, I see a lot of unnecessary customer service conversations going on in the future.

Post by i2Paq » Sun May 22, 2011 1:22 am

opencartisalright wrote:
grgr wrote:With the redesign, I'm not sure if it is just me but there seems to be a bit of a glaring problem with the shopping cart/checkout in as much as the discount code and gift vouchers are now located in the shopping cart instead of the checkout page...The shopping cart page is excellent as it shows the total amount payable before you have to go through the checkout so the logic of having the discounts applied here is sound, but people have to find it to be able to use it and I think most people would automatically go straight to the checkout page.

Perhaps it's just me...?
It's not just you, I've noticed that too. I understand why all the coupon codes and rewards points etc. are on the cart page, but as a customer can completely bypass it and go straight to the checkout, I see a lot of unnecessary customer service conversations going on in the future.
I agree, I have a test-site setup and asked some friends to try it and they all came up with the unclear setup on this.

Norman in 't Veldt
Moderator OpenCart Forums

_________________ READ and Search BEFORE POSTING _________________

Our FREE search: Find your answer FAST!.

[How to] BTW + Verzend + betaal setup.

Global Moderator

Location - Winkel - The Netherlands

Post by QNAP » Sun May 22, 2011 2:54 am

i2Paq
I agree, I have a test-site setup and asked some friends to try it and they all came up with the unclear setup on this.
Can you link to the test-site?

Post by grgr » Sun May 22, 2011 3:02 am

i2Paq wrote:
opencartisalright wrote:

Perhaps it's just me...?
I don't think that it is an issue as such as the shopping cart page is a good page and it sets out the order for people to see before they head to the checkout, so I like it.

If nothing is done about it when 1.5 (or perhaps there are other plans by the Dev/Daniel) is released then all I will do is redirect the checkout button to the shopping cart page and modify the shopping cart page with a banner/message to inform people that they should apply any codes now and that they can get a shipping estimate.

The checkout is very similar now to that of the Magento checkout (the magento checkout has side boxes that populate with the order information and addresses as you move though the checkout which is very nice - be nice to see that on opencart at some stage) and they do it as I describe above - redirected to the shopping cart page first to enter discount codes before moving on to the actual checkout.

-
Image Image Image Image
VIEW ALL EXTENSIONS * EXTENSION SUPPORT * WEBSITE * CUSTOM REQUESTS

Location - UK

Post by i2Paq » Sun May 22, 2011 8:14 pm

QNAP wrote:i2Paq
Can you link to the test-site?
Latest SVN (283) up an running in English and Dutch: Here.

Be aware that Daniel has removed the mail-files from the SVN so the e-mails are not working.

Norman in 't Veldt

Global Moderator

Post by harryo40 » Sun May 22, 2011 10:07 pm

i2Paq wrote: Latest SVN (283) up an running in English and Dutch: Here.
Be aware that Daniel has removed the mail-files from the SVN so the e-mails are not working.
Hi i2Paq,
Just to query your r.283 as I too have r.283 up live, but I dont have the blue line across the top, under the links in the header :-\

Add To Cart Confirm Ajax Popup for OC 1.5.1.3 --> 1.5.5.1 - Add to Cart Confirmation Popup
Image Map Banner Module - Image Map Banner Module
----------------------------------------------------------------------
Womens Famous Name Fashion Clothing at bargain prices - Next2nowt.com

Location - Blackburn, Lancashire

Post by i2Paq » Sun May 22, 2011 10:34 pm

harryo40 wrote:
Hi i2Paq,
Just to query your r.283 as I too have r.283 up live, but I dont have the blue line across the top, under the links in the header :-\
I have really no clue, it is a clean install.....

Norman in 't Veldt

Global Moderator

Post by Daniel » Sun May 22, 2011 11:47 pm

i2Paq wrote:
harryo40 wrote:
Hi i2Paq,
I have really no clue, it is a clean install.....

I just noticed none of the language files for the mails was uploaded to the svn. it seems that by default tortoise svn ignores files called mail.

anyway they are there now. I think every-things pretty much sorted now. only need to sort the categories and the mega menu out. make them look and work a bit better.

once rc2 is out i will start making it IE6 compatible.

OpenCart®
Project Owner & Developer.

Administrator

Post by andris » Mon May 23, 2011 12:45 am

I thought IE6 was long gone!! Is there any point for wasting time on IE6 compatibility?

Post by QNAP » Mon May 23, 2011 1:28 am

Daniel

Sounds brilliant! :)
once rc2 is out i will start making it IE6 compatible.
IMO, Do not waste time on such details! I think the priority should be to get a stable OC 1.5.0 and later on, 1.5.1 and 1.5.2

Post by QNAP » Mon May 23, 2011 1:51 am

It looks as if both the Login and My Account has the same function. Keep it simple.
The checkout is very similar now to that of the Magento checkout (the magento checkout has side boxes that populate with the order information and addresses as you move though the checkout which is very nice - be nice to see that on opencart at some stage) and they do it as I describe above - redirected to the shopping cart page first to enter discount codes before moving on to the actual checkout.
I agree, the checkout is awesome! One question though, why is there no possibility of entering the Shopping Cart
through pressing the Items button in the basket? To be able to get into the basket you must go through the Shopping Cart button.

Post by i2Paq » Mon May 23, 2011 2:20 am

Daniel wrote:I just noticed none of the language files for the mails was uploaded to the svn. it seems that by default tortoise svn ignores files called mail.

anyway they are there now. I think every-things pretty much sorted now. only need to sort the categories and the mega menu out. make them look and work a bit better.
Yep they are! :)

Just updated my 1.5.0 Dutch with the latest changes, thanks!

Norman in 't Veldt

Global Moderator

Post by arch72 » Mon May 23, 2011 3:22 am

Danial,

Request please don't waste your time on IE6 it is gone, gna go, no need, spend it on areas which will make 1.50 final a quicker reality, by the time a stable 1.50 is up and running IE6 will really be distant memory.

thanks.

P.S

Do you have an update timeline going forward for the second half of the year roughly when next RC, Final, ball park?

Also really want to know when which version do you think true multi-store functionality, i.e, different e-mail address, different paypal for each store, unique google codes etc, remember seeing a request late last year in a thread somewhere where this functionality was to be considered (not for 1.5 i understand), just really want to know if this in in the pipeline for next lot after 1.5

thanks, apologize if this off topic/thread, conscious of the thread police:)

Post by jayfkay » Mon May 23, 2011 3:55 am

gocreative wrote:
jayfkay wrote:agree... though, could someone please answer ME in regard to

[FEATURE REQUEST] product price input WITH or WITHOUT TAX
I too would like this, but this isn't a topic for feature requests.
i know, but the request already exists -> http://forum.opencart.com/viewtopic.php ... ax#p154581

New request list/roadmap wasnt made in a year. Wont bug anymore, will use offered solution.

Post by opencartisalright » Mon May 23, 2011 7:42 am

Daniel wrote:I just noticed none of the language files for the mails was uploaded to the svn. it seems that by default tortoise svn ignores files called mail.

Did you check out the SVN bug thread? There are a couple bugs there that didn't seem related to the language files/mail issues.
Daniel wrote:once rc2 is out i will start making it IE6 compatible.
Waste of time in my opinion. The clocks ticking on IE6. The faster people stop supporting it the better. At this point "IE6 compatible" is not a selling point to anyone.

Post by JasonSGN » Mon May 23, 2011 7:50 am

opencartisalright wrote:

Did you check out the SVN bug thread? There are a couple bugs there that didn't seem related to the language files/mail issues.
Yes, for instance, the Gift Voucher History doesn't seem to be working - you can use the same voucher over and over.

Post by gocreative » Mon May 23, 2011 8:30 am

opencartisalright wrote:"IE6 compatible" is not a selling point to anyone.
Technically speaking, it may be. Many corporations still use IE6 for one reason or another, as do many Asian countries where Windows XP is heavily pirated and still in use. Upgrades aren't possible on a pirate version therefore they're stuck with IE6.

A survey by Digg found that 76% of IE6 users aren't able to upgrade because of restrictions beyond their control, so it's likely those users will continue to use IE6 for a little while yet.

While I personally don't consider the above to be a strong enough argument to bother supporting IE6, if the OpenCart team wish to do so then below are a couple of useful tools:

http://www.onderhond.com/tools/ie6fixer/
http://code.google.com/p/universal-ie6-css/

Post by JasonSGN » Mon May 23, 2011 8:42 am

When successfully adding items to your shopping cart, the yellow "attention" bar displays at the top. I've adjusted lines 326 and 328 in catalog\view\theme\default\template\product\product.tpl, but that doesn't change effect when adding items from the Best Seller, Featured, Latest or Specials Modules.

Using svn293.