Post by affect » Fri Jul 06, 2018 3:19 pm

Kiu wrote:
Fri Jul 06, 2018 2:42 pm
@affect: Can you tell us, what is BS3 / BS4?
Yep, OpenCart's migrating to the newer Bootstrap 4, which is quite a bit of work: https://getbootstrap.com/docs/4.0/migration/
There's also Twig1 > Twig2 switch so there's that: https://github.com/opencart/opencart/co ... a5ca9753c9

So, an official working 3.1 beta would be neat before it's released as stable.

MultiMerch Marketplace for OpenCart

Image


User avatar
Active Member

Posts

Joined
Sat Aug 13, 2011 5:04 pm


Post by OSWorX » Fri Jul 06, 2018 4:12 pm

Kiu wrote:
Fri Jul 06, 2018 2:42 pm
@affect: Can you tell us, what is BS3 / BS4?
He means: Bootstrap ( version 3 > 4 ) http://getbootstrap.com/
One of the engines behind OC (OpenCart)

Image


User avatar
Expert Member

Posts

Joined
Mon Jan 11, 2010 10:52 pm
Location - Austria

Post by OSWorX » Fri Jul 06, 2018 4:17 pm

affect wrote:
Fri Jul 06, 2018 3:19 pm
Kiu wrote:
Fri Jul 06, 2018 2:42 pm
@affect: Can you tell us, what is BS3 / BS4?
Yep, OpenCart's migrating to the newer Bootstrap 4, which is quite a bit of work: https://getbootstrap.com/docs/4.0/migration/
There's also Twig1 > Twig2 switch so there's that: https://github.com/opencart/opencart/co ... a5ca9753c9

So, an official working 3.1 beta would be neat before it's released as stable.
Well, nearly exact 1 year after the last official release, I would say that it should be time to publish the next release.
Otherwise the next Library has to be updated, and then the next .. and so on .. O0

Beside the updates of these Libraries, there are many other (some good, some less good) changes & additions in the core that it would be good to have soon a release for testing.

Image


User avatar
Expert Member

Posts

Joined
Mon Jan 11, 2010 10:52 pm
Location - Austria

Post by jakuba » Sun Jul 08, 2018 4:39 pm

Hello, any new version coming? It is already a year.

Tvorba a správa eshopů


Active Member

Posts

Joined
Fri Jul 08, 2011 12:51 am
Location - CZ-Prague

Post by shahriar-b » Wed Jul 11, 2018 12:05 pm

since development on the main opencart github is completely dead and it has been a year since last release, it would be great if someone could atleast fork the master repository apply the hotfixes and patches to current version for the new users.

Newbie

Posts

Joined
Sat Feb 03, 2018 11:18 am

Post by OSWorX » Wed Jul 11, 2018 2:15 pm

shahriar-b wrote:
Wed Jul 11, 2018 12:05 pm
since development on the main opencart github is completely dead and it has been a year since last release, it would be great if someone could atleast fork the master repository apply the hotfixes and patches to current version for the new users.
Interesting .. do not know where you had a look (if !), but there are many commits: https://github.com/opencart/opencart/commits/master
So, please do not write nonsens!

Image


User avatar
Expert Member

Posts

Joined
Mon Jan 11, 2010 10:52 pm
Location - Austria

Post by straightlight » Wed Jul 11, 2018 7:43 pm

While not only the commits are being constantly updated, the issues tab on Opencart GitHub are also constantly being addressed. While the one or a few being on desperation for a new release, take note of the mass changes being required despite the time period being required in order to fit the new requirements compared to countless forum users that reported OC issues while it had nothing to do with problems encountered internally in the platform but rather reflected by something else that still impacted OC and thinking it could be an OC issue.

The bug fixes will only resolved the issues that are internally affecting Opencart. While the Marketplace feature has also been integrated into recent OC releases, this issue remains stand-alone compared to the use of APIs with payments, shipping and total order extension modules.

The most generated errors being found on Opencart forum originates from contributed programming. The increased counters are caused by posted redundancies of the same solutions that were already provided prior.

F. Rules:

- viewtopic.php?f=176&t=200480
- viewtopic.php?f=176&t=200804


Regards,
Straightlight


Legendary Member

Posts

Joined
Mon Nov 14, 2011 11:38 pm
Location - Canada, ON

Post by affect » Thu Jul 12, 2018 3:03 am

Yeah, stuff's actually happening on GH – that's great. I just can't get my head around the fact that there hasn't been an official bugfix release of 3.0.x for a year now, considering the fixes are all available. Especially since when 3.1 comes out it will be a major one, again – with a whole set of new issues to be resolved.

MultiMerch Marketplace for OpenCart

Image


User avatar
Active Member

Posts

Joined
Sat Aug 13, 2011 5:04 pm


Post by straightlight » Thu Jul 12, 2018 3:09 am

Especially since when 3.1 comes out it will be a major one, again – with a whole set of new issues to be resolved.
Can hardly wait.

The most generated errors being found on Opencart forum originates from contributed programming. The increased counters are caused by posted redundancies of the same solutions that were already provided prior.

F. Rules:

- viewtopic.php?f=176&t=200480
- viewtopic.php?f=176&t=200804


Regards,
Straightlight


Legendary Member

Posts

Joined
Mon Nov 14, 2011 11:38 pm
Location - Canada, ON

Post by shahriar-b » Thu Jul 12, 2018 9:15 pm

OSWorX wrote:
Wed Jul 11, 2018 2:15 pm
shahriar-b wrote:
Wed Jul 11, 2018 12:05 pm
since development on the main opencart github is completely dead and it has been a year since last release, it would be great if someone could atleast fork the master repository apply the hotfixes and patches to current version for the new users.
Interesting .. do not know where you had a look (if !), but there are many commits: https://github.com/opencart/opencart/commits/master
So, please do not write nonsens!
I was referring to RELEASES and not the commits, and even for commits you can clearly see last commit was done 11 days ago and it was just a PHP version update! so basically nothing was done, and if you think this is still nonsens please have a look at other open source ecommerce platforms on github to see how actively they are being developed. the problem right now is that we could have a release with fixes and improvements months back before jumping to BS4 and pushing the release back for another (few?) months.

Newbie

Posts

Joined
Sat Feb 03, 2018 11:18 am

Post by straightlight » Thu Jul 12, 2018 9:17 pm

and pushing the release back for another (few?) months.
That is still presumptious since no official dates nor period of time has been provided officially by the OC team for the next release.

The most generated errors being found on Opencart forum originates from contributed programming. The increased counters are caused by posted redundancies of the same solutions that were already provided prior.

F. Rules:

- viewtopic.php?f=176&t=200480
- viewtopic.php?f=176&t=200804


Regards,
Straightlight


Legendary Member

Posts

Joined
Mon Nov 14, 2011 11:38 pm
Location - Canada, ON

Post by OSWorX » Thu Jul 12, 2018 11:26 pm

shahriar-b wrote:
Wed Jul 11, 2018 12:05 pm
since development on the main opencart github is completely dead ..
Means for me, you said that nobody does nothing.
Which is not true.
And yes, the last release is quite a time long back - true, and we could celebrate the 1st 'birthday' of the last release in 5 days.
And yes, a new release 3.0.2.1 or 3.0.3.0 with all the bugfixes should be published before the 3.1.x release with many new features will be published.

But, you are free to fork and do some work - if it makes sense?

Image


User avatar
Expert Member

Posts

Joined
Mon Jan 11, 2010 10:52 pm
Location - Austria

Post by markcm » Sat Jul 14, 2018 12:36 pm

Johnathan wrote:
Sun Dec 17, 2017 11:08 pm
...
My recommendation is to download an official version, and then apply the bugfixes that have been noted in the bugfix topic. If you find other bugs, post in that topic (or the appropriate support sub-forum) and see if anyone has a fix. I understand that's not ideal --- and what we'd all like is more frequent bugfix releases --- but in my experience that's the quickest way to a stable store.
...
Hi, I'm working on migrating from oscmax to opencart. Can you elaborate on this comment? I've been looking at the bug-report forum but are you referring to a specific list or repository of patches that I should apply from the start? I have installed 3.0.2.0 from Godaddy's cPanel app's. It seems to be working fairly well although I've only done a test migration and poked around for a few hours.

Thank you.

Newbie

Posts

Joined
Sat Jul 14, 2018 5:02 am


Post by straightlight » Sat Jul 14, 2018 7:22 pm

I've been looking at the bug-report forum but are you referring to a specific list or repository of patches that I should apply from the start?
Unfortunately, all OC versions have their flaws. In order to run the platform more efficiently, the bug-fixes must be applied until the next release gets published by the OC team.

The most generated errors being found on Opencart forum originates from contributed programming. The increased counters are caused by posted redundancies of the same solutions that were already provided prior.

F. Rules:

- viewtopic.php?f=176&t=200480
- viewtopic.php?f=176&t=200804


Regards,
Straightlight


Legendary Member

Posts

Joined
Mon Nov 14, 2011 11:38 pm
Location - Canada, ON

Post by Johnathan » Sat Jul 14, 2018 10:10 pm

markcm wrote:
Sat Jul 14, 2018 12:36 pm
Hi, I'm working on migrating from oscmax to opencart. Can you elaborate on this comment? I've been looking at the bug-report forum but are you referring to a specific list or repository of patches that I should apply from the start? I have installed 3.0.2.0 from Godaddy's cPanel app's. It seems to be working fairly well although I've only done a test migration and poked around for a few hours.

Thank you.

There's no single list, as far as I'm aware, though the 3.0.2.0 bug topic in the forum is a good start. You can also search the 3.0 section of the forum to see about individual bugs people have posted. After that, you'd need to start browsing the issues section in the github, and figure out which ones are bug fixes. I haven't actually done the process myself, so I can't say if that covers all the issues, or if there are still unsolved ones out there. Unfortunately there's no "master list" anywhere that I'm aware.

Image
Image Image Image Image Image Image


User avatar
Global Moderator

Posts

Joined
Fri Dec 18, 2009 3:08 am


Post by markcm » Sun Jul 15, 2018 12:03 am

Johnathan wrote:
Sat Jul 14, 2018 10:10 pm
markcm wrote:
Sat Jul 14, 2018 12:36 pm
Hi, I'm working on migrating from oscmax to opencart. Can you elaborate on this comment? I've been looking at the bug-report forum but are you referring to a specific list or repository of patches that I should apply from the start? I have installed 3.0.2.0 from Godaddy's cPanel app's. It seems to be working fairly well although I've only done a test migration and poked around for a few hours.

Thank you.

There's no single list, as far as I'm aware, though the 3.0.2.0 bug topic in the forum is a good start. You can also search the 3.0 section of the forum to see about individual bugs people have posted. After that, you'd need to start browsing the issues section in the github, and figure out which ones are bug fixes. I haven't actually done the process myself, so I can't say if that covers all the issues, or if there are still unsolved ones out there. Unfortunately there's no "master list" anywhere that I'm aware.
Thanks for that clarification

Could anyone estimate how well opencart 3.0.2.0 will work "out of the box"? I have a small store with only a few niche items; 10+ years of customers and orders I'm migrating over. Coming from oscmax which has been slowly dying for years and has zero forum activity, Opencart looks quite modern and functional at my first glance although some of the posts I'm starting to come across like this make me a bit apprehensive. I've been supporting my site in oscommerce and oscmax for this duration and have a decent ability to work on them; should I be concerned with opencart 3.0.2.0's stability or functionality? I've also looked at prestashop pretty indepth with a live installation but my first impression was that opencart was better suited to my needs.

Being brand new to OC and unfamiliar with it's ins-and-outs it seems logic for a newbie to start a shop and fix things as they arise rather than going to multiple forums to try to decipher which of the vast amounts of posts are potentially fixes and then try to apply them before seeing the issue(s) in action on a live site.

Does anyone know of any MUST-DO fixes for 3.0.2.0? Things that will definitely have to be patched for a fresh 3.0.2.0 installation to work, basic operational functionality? I plan on using PayPal Standard, USPS, and captcha; all of which seem to be working in my fresh install.

Thank you all for your help to a newb.

Newbie

Posts

Joined
Sat Jul 14, 2018 5:02 am


Post by cebol » Mon Aug 20, 2018 6:06 pm

Wow, this is the news that we've all been waiting for
:laugh: :laugh:

Newbie

Posts

Joined
Mon Aug 20, 2018 5:55 pm

Post by JNeuhoff » Mon Aug 20, 2018 9:06 pm

I strongly advise against the usage of OC 3.1.0.0 on live stores. OC 3.1.0.0 still has a number of unfixed bugs, especially in conjunction with its Theme Editor and OCmod.

Perhaps this would be a good time to think about a community edition of OC 3 with at least this included:
- bugfixes
- support for VQmod as well as OCmod
- fixes to Theme Editor, or complete removal of Theme Editor
- create a more robust template cache, including auto-refresh
- support for both Twig and PHP template
- added support for template modification via catalog/view/*/before event handlers
- discontinue server-side caching of resized thumbnail images

There are probably more technical issues that need to be sorted, but these are the main ones I can think of right now.

MHC Web Design
Override Engine * Integrated VQMod * Multilingual SEO * Instant Option Price Calculator * TrustPilot Reviews * Download Options * Google Rich Snippets * Export/Import Tool * Template Switcher PHP/Twig


User avatar
Expert Member

Posts

Joined
Wed Dec 05, 2007 3:38 am


Post by schiggi » Mon Aug 20, 2018 10:49 pm

JNeuhoff wrote:
Mon Aug 20, 2018 9:06 pm
- discontinue server-side caching of resized thumbnail images
What is wrong by caching the resized thumbnails? I wasn't aware, that this is a problem.

New member

Posts

Joined
Tue May 13, 2014 4:23 am
Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Freakshow and 7 guests