Post by Daniel » Sun Jul 04, 2010 6:47 am

I have been working on the features that will be in 1.5.

There will probably be a release v1.4.9 by Q with loads of fixes and a few minor features.

So far I have completed:

reward points system
customer credit
pdf invoices
affliate system

there is so much more that I'm adding to 1.5. checkout the roadmap to see some of the outstandng features to be added.

1.5 will probably be released late August. I hope everybody can wait. I have notced the number of vistiors has dropped recently. I think it was because we have slowed down on the number of releases or it could be that its the middle of summer. I have had to take up some freelance work to pay the bills so releases have slowed down. I'm nearly finished adding a commerical section to the extension section which should create some additional revenue in the future.

OpenCart®
Project Owner & Developer.

Administrator

Post by Xsecrets » Sun Jul 04, 2010 7:37 am

just curious which pdf library did you end up using?

OpenCart commercial mods and development http://spotonsolutions.net
Layered Navigation
Shipment Tracking
Vehicle Year/Make/Model Filter

Guru Member

Location - FL US

Post by qahar » Sun Jul 04, 2010 8:54 am

Daniel wrote:I have notced the number of vistiors has dropped recently. I think it was because we have slowed down on the number of releases or it could be that its the middle of summer.
I think it because not so much extensions specially theme there.
I wanna ask, do you still use flot on 1.5.0 ? so i can still use this to.

Expert Member

Location - Indonesia

Post by Qphoria » Sun Jul 04, 2010 9:01 am

Xsecrets wrote:just curious which pdf library did you end up using?
dompdf..... ::snark:: ::snark:: :laugh:

Administrator

Post by fido-x » Sun Jul 04, 2010 10:01 am

Qphoria wrote:
Well, at least that works and is relatively easy to use. And should be safe as long as the vulnerable file is not included. Will it be the same version or a more recent release (if it's passed the beta stage,that is).

Modules for OpenCart 2.3.0.2
Homepage Module [Free - since OpenCart 0.7.7]
Multistore Extensions
Store Manager Multi-Vendor/Multi-Store management tool

If you're not living on the edge ... you're taking up too much space!

Expert Member

Location - Tasmania, Australia

Post by i2Paq » Sun Jul 04, 2010 5:37 pm

Daniel wrote:I have been working on the features that will be in 1.5.

There will probably be a release v1.4.9 by Q with loads of fixes and a few minor features.

So far I have completed:

reward points system
customer credit
pdf invoices
affliate system

there is so much more that I'm adding to 1.5. checkout the roadmap to see some of the outstandng features to be added.
I like this, good work.
Maybe you should also update the Blog section and change the way the Roadmap displays its parts.
It now only shows a date added, not a date when finished (completed), there should also be a way of filtering the roadmap on date added/completed and the current status.
1.5 will probably be released late August. I hope everybody can wait. I have notced the number of vistiors has dropped recently. I think it was because we have slowed down on the number of releases or it could be that its the middle of summer. I have had to take up some freelance work to pay the bills so releases have slowed down. I'm nearly finished adding a commerical section to the extension section which should create some additional revenue in the future.
August sounds fine by me. Do not let you and Q rush yourself in releasing a new version just to get the visitors count up.
A to soon release will maybe end up in some nasty bugs and that will sure raise the visitors count ;)
Plus we will have a lot of angry users as well.
I rather have a release by the end of August which is stable then one in the beginning with issues.
Needless to say that August is a holiday month in most European country's (not sure about the US etc.) so a lot of users of OC will be gone anyway.

Norman in 't Veldt
Moderator OpenCart Forums

_________________ READ and Search BEFORE POSTING _________________

Our FREE search: Find your answer FAST!.

[How to] BTW + Verzend + betaal setup.

Global Moderator

Location - Winkel - The Netherlands

Post by Daniel » Sun Jul 04, 2010 5:53 pm

fido-x wrote:
Qphoria wrote:
Well, at least that works and is relatively easy to use. And should be safe as long as the vulnerable file is not included. Will it be the same version or a more recent release (if it's passed the beta stage,that is).
what vulnerable file? its all javascript.

OpenCart®

Administrator

Post by Xsecrets » Sun Jul 04, 2010 9:34 pm

Daniel wrote:
what vulnerable file? its all javascript.
I'm guessing the file he's talking about is the one that allowed all the stores to get hacked a while back.

OpenCart commercial mods and development http://spotonsolutions.net
Layered Navigation
Shipment Tracking
Vehicle Year/Make/Model Filter

Guru Member

Location - FL US

Post by twiggy » Tue Jul 06, 2010 4:52 am

Good work Daniel.

Maybe with more logical release series people will start to take on opencart. That's the biggest problem when people come to me or purchase something, they say I got this for 1.4.4 but its not working with 1.4.8 its confusing for people who do not follow opencart day in day out like the rest of us. Now Q is sorting this out I'm sure its only going to get better.

I'm trying to promote opencart at every chance so hopefully word of mouth will help boost its profile.

Post by Daniel » Tue Jul 06, 2010 6:12 am

I was thinking to use redmine for develoment. Vote on a list of goals and have a developers work on them. i can add to the list of tasks buy adding bugs and minor code changes.

OpenCart®

Administrator

Post by i2Paq » Tue Jul 06, 2010 3:14 pm

Redmine looks good, never heard of it before but seeing what features they have it could be useful.
That is, if "we" all commit on using it.
So no 2 or more places to report Bugs etc. ;)

Would you consider using talented coders from our own community?

Norman in 't Veldt

Global Moderator

Post by JAY6390 » Tue Jul 06, 2010 7:13 pm

Redmine looks really good
1.5 sounds like it'll be feature packed :)
Don't concern yourself with visitor numbers. As opencart gets better, they'll increase. Have faith! 8)

Guru Member

Location - United Kingdom

Post by Skipper » Wed Jul 07, 2010 12:34 am

Daniel wrote:I have notced the number of vistiors has dropped recently.
That must have been me ;D

Seriously, I have been very excited when I discovered OC, but the release frequency really cooled me down. That is too say, for my taste there are far too many releases. One release per year with reliable fixes is what my typical customer needs. The business side is adventure enough, why add software adventure?

Back to X-Cart. Cheers!

Post by JAY6390 » Wed Jul 07, 2010 12:37 am

One release a year except for bugfixes really isn't ideal at all, what about new features? People don't want to wait a full year for a new version to be released with extra features. I'd say a new version every 2 - 3 months is far more ideal

Guru Member

Location - United Kingdom

Post by Skipper » Wed Jul 07, 2010 1:09 am

Who needs new bugs every 2-3 months? My customers would fire me right away.

And who needs new features every 2-3 month? A shop has functional requirements. Once implemented, touching the running system is a major decision. In brick-and-mortar, a shop is redecorated every 3 month, not rebuild.

A shop is not a list of features. And who needs all those features, really? We may have different kinds of customers, though.

Post by Qphoria » Wed Jul 07, 2010 2:36 am

Yea 2-3 months is ideal and the way we are trying to get to. The issue is that the upgrade process is still very much intrusive. The upgrade script tries to help with the db changes but things like the token system were important major changes that couldn't be avoided. Maybe I should just get my old php patch changes in place and then a simple patch file will update the cart.

Administrator

Post by Qphoria » Wed Jul 07, 2010 3:10 am

Skipper wrote:
Daniel wrote:I have notced the number of vistiors has dropped recently.
That must have been me ;D

Seriously, I have been very excited when I discovered OC, but the release frequency really cooled me down. That is too say, for my taste there are far too many releases. One release per year with reliable fixes is what my typical customer needs. The business side is adventure enough, why add software adventure?

Back to X-Cart. Cheers!
Why do you feel the need to upgrade just because a new version comes out? And really? x-cart? Is this 1999? I'd rather use oscommerce.. at least its ugly and free instead of ugly and commercial. At least go with a cart like cs-cart if you're gonna pay good money. How about we keep releasing every 2 months, giving the community a chance to work out all the buggy features, and then you wait till the end of the year to get the most stable one?

Administrator

Post by i2Paq » Wed Jul 07, 2010 3:32 am

Qphoria wrote:Why do you feel the need to upgrade just because a new version comes out? And really? x-cart? Is this 1999? I'd rather use oscommerce.. at least its ugly and free instead of ugly and commercial. At least go with a cart like cs-cart if you're gonna pay good money. How about we keep releasing every 2 months, giving the community a chance to work out all the buggy features, and then you wait till the end of the year to get the most stable one?
I think he will read this (if ever) in another 2 months or so, when he comes around again ;)

And yeah, x-cart..., tried it once, asked for support and had some questions before buying...... Still waiting on an answer (that was 2 years ago).

Norman in 't Veldt

Global Moderator

Post by peteVA » Wed Jul 07, 2010 11:42 am

There is some truth to trying to be too many things to too many people. Implementing too many changes, many of which might have only been to shut up the loudest criers.

Multi-store may have been one of them, who is actually using it? Who even understands it?

Documentation is totally lacking.

I talk it up all I can but constantly get shot down over the bug / fixes / versions. It does create a poor perception and the fact that there is no simple upgrade path and all mods / templates have to be changed with each new release certainly puts people off.

A Trusted Wholesale Dropshipper
Web Hosting Under $ 5.00 Month! FREE Shopping Carts!
25,000+ Real Wholesale & Dropship Sources!

Post by i2Paq » Wed Jul 07, 2010 2:17 pm

peteVA wrote:There is some truth to trying to be too many things to too many people. Implementing too many changes, many of which might have only been to shut up the loudest criers.

Multi-store may have been one of them, who is actually using it? Who even understands it?

Documentation is totally lacking.

I talk it up all I can but constantly get shot down over the bug / fixes / versions. It does create a poor perception and the fact that there is no simple upgrade path and all mods / templates have to be changed with each new release certainly puts people off.

Thank you for your kind words over and over again.

Norman in 't Veldt

Global Moderator