Post by Heather » Tue Sep 01, 2015 10:23 pm

Hello developers!

We've made a couple of updates to the OpenCart Extension Store & notifications which will help you increase the number of cross-sales that you get from your extensions.

When you edit one of your extensions you will now need to add a reason for the edit before you can submit the changes. If you choose to notify users of your extension, this update will be included in the notification email that will be sent to users who have purchased your extension. This email is now designed to match the OpenCart branding and will include links to other extensions that you have, encouraging users to click-through and purchase more extensions from you. Purchased extension receipt emails will also now include links to your other modules.

Thanks,
Heather

Heather

Post by OpenCart Addons » Tue Sep 01, 2015 10:51 pm

Hey Heather,

I seen the new field appear yesterday and thought that was a nice addition. It saves developers from having to use the extension comment section to post the changes.

I'm glad to see that OpenCart is starting to focus some of their resources on improving the OpenCart Extension Store. The changes that have been implemented recently are definitely a step in the right direction.

A couple other ideas for the extension store:
  • Larger size for the additional images on the extension page. It's very difficult to see the images.

Modify the Request Support link to send the support request directly to the developer. A lot of customers assume this is how it works, but instead they're sent to the OpenCart support team. We are then copied on the support ticket by the OpenCart support team. This would save the OpenCart support team the headache of having to play the middle man, as well as reduce the support wait time for customers.
Has the OpenCart team looked at further improving the extension tags system with the recommendations made in the thread created by James? Unfortunately some developers are still stuffing their extension tags with irrelevant phrases to boost their search position.

Thanks,
Joel.

Canada's Leading Expert In OpenCart Development & Certified OpenCart Development Partner Image

Location - Canada

Post by JAY6390 » Tue Sep 01, 2015 10:56 pm

Totally agree with the improvements that Joel has recommended above. I've lost count of the number of times I've had tickets from opencart sent to me, days after I've solved it with the customer directly. It's a hindrance, not a help

Glad to hear the e-mail system is now sending cross-sale data when updating. Would be nice to see what this looks like exactly. My only concern will be people misusing the updates to hound customers about their extensions basically, and them being blocked for all of us developers

Guru Member

Location - United Kingdom

Post by Johnathan » Tue Sep 01, 2015 11:19 pm

Thanks for the updates, Heather! It sounds like a good addition.

256 characters is pretty short for additional text, though. It's not very useful to add information with more space than that.

Image Image Image Image Image

Administrator

Post by OpenCart Addons » Wed Sep 02, 2015 2:45 am

JAY6390 wrote:My only concern will be people misusing the updates to hound customers about their extensions basically, and them being blocked for all of us developers
That's a good point, I didn't even think of that.

Perhaps the cross selling should be left out of the extension update notifications, but kept on the purchase confirmation email? It makes more sense to promote additional extensions after a customer has completed a purchase, rather than when the customer receives an extension update notification.

Regards,
Joel.

Canada's Leading Expert In OpenCart Development & Certified OpenCart Development Partner Image

Location - Canada

Post by Qphoria » Wed Sep 02, 2015 3:04 am

Tho that may then be good to limit it to 256 to prevent going crazy with ads.

Administrator

Post by Johnathan » Wed Sep 02, 2015 3:16 am

Qphoria wrote:Tho that may then be good to limit it to 256 to prevent going crazy with ads.
I just want to post the release notes for my updates....but I've trimmed it down to just a single link, so I guess it works.

Why must the spammers always ruin things for everyone?
:stick:

Administrator

Post by JAY6390 » Wed Sep 02, 2015 3:21 am

Has anyone seen one of these update e-mails yet? Wouldn't mind seeing what a customer will get. Would be nice if the dev is copied into the emails too so they can check it's worked and got all the info

Guru Member

Post by thbr02 » Thu Sep 03, 2015 4:38 am

What has happened with the sortorder of the extensions? Usually the latest modified/added were shown first. Now they seems to be messed up all together. If you try to browse the extensions the same extension will appear on several places.

Location - Sweden

Post by Qphoria » Fri Sep 04, 2015 12:39 am

thbr02 wrote:What has happened with the sortorder of the extensions? Usually the latest modified/added were shown first. Now they seems to be messed up all together. If you try to browse the extensions the same extension will appear on several places.
They finally removed the default sort of "Recently Modified" so lamers can stop updating their mods every 24 hours to get back on the first page for 2 minutes. Now the first page is randomized.

But the recently modified link's first state is "ASC" which can be confusing since it would make more sense for it to be DESC on the first click. For now people need to click it twice to see their recently modified mods show up.

Administrator

Post by ksharlandjiev » Wed Sep 16, 2015 10:02 pm

Hello Heather,
nice updates, but I can see that you have updated the email for "new comments" and "extension purchased" notification as well.
May I suggest to include again the "Reply-to" field, as now when I receive an email saying that someone has commented on our module I cannot use the "Reply" button as this is going to support@opencart.com?
Thanks in advance.

Power Image Manager | Multi Image uploader | Bulk Update Products to Categories | Bulk Update Orders
NEW! Bulk add options | New! Bulk add attributes | NEW! Keep it Simple Checkout!

Location - London, UK

Post by Qphoria » Thu Sep 17, 2015 11:17 pm

The new comment email is a bit annoying now that we cannot reply directly to the user anymore. At the very least we need a system that allows use to email a response, like zen-desk does.. so that we can reply to the email and it will update the comment reply with the message. It is too cumbersome to have to login to the site everytime, and a lot of times the comment is something specific that doesn't need to clutter up the public comment area, making it hard for customers to sift through common questions and answers.

Administrator

Post by Johnathan » Thu Sep 17, 2015 11:36 pm

Qphoria wrote:At the very least we need a system that allows use to email a response, like zen-desk does.. so that we can reply to the email and it will update the comment reply with the message.
Yes, please. ;D

Administrator

Post by JAY6390 » Fri Sep 18, 2015 4:13 am

Agree with the above. I also don't see why the emails are sent in HTML with tracking links. The old style used to work. Now every time I get an email regarding OC comments my email software thinks it's spam. I don't understand why these pretty useless changes are being added in place of some actual functionality that we could actually benefit from. One of my main gripes is the comment box that is still at the bottom of the page while the actual comments show in reverse order. This means if you want to read what someone said, you have to scroll through a bunch of comments to see it, then scroll back down to type your comments ::)

Guru Member

Post by OpenCart Addons » Fri Sep 18, 2015 8:38 pm

JAY6390 wrote:One of my main gripes is the comment box that is still at the bottom of the page while the actual comments show in reverse order. This means if you want to read what someone said, you have to scroll through a bunch of comments to see it, then scroll back down to type your comments ::)
I completely agree, it's very cumbersome.

Location - Canada

Post by OpenCart Addons » Tue Sep 22, 2015 1:05 am

The link to the extension page in the comment notification email is no longer a live link. Can this be restored back to the way it was previously?

Also, could the order notification emails be updated with a reply-to to the customer's email address? This would allow developers to setup an autoreply to let the customer know who to contact if they have any questions. This would help reduce the number of customers going through the OpenCart support system for help.

Regards,
Joel.

Location - Canada

Post by czorny » Mon Sep 28, 2015 4:58 am

Please, for the love of god, make the Reason field NOT mandatory! It's extremely annoying to enter something in this field, when you do several updates in a row. For example, when you change description, then logos, then upload file, etc. This is a pretty common situation, I do this often to keep session active, while fixing errors, checking how description looks etc. Captcha is already quite enough to annoy yourself to death, when you need to do multiple updates.

Post by Qphoria » Mon Sep 28, 2015 10:37 pm

czorny wrote:Please, for the love of god, make the Reason field NOT mandatory! It's extremely annoying to enter something in this field, when you do several updates in a row. For example, when you change description, then logos, then upload file, etc. This is a pretty common situation, I do this often to keep session active, while fixing errors, checking how description looks etc. Captcha is already quite enough to annoy yourself to death, when you need to do multiple updates.
+1
I just added a script to add generic text to it.

Administrator

Post by macwhore » Wed Oct 14, 2015 6:40 pm

Qphoria wrote:
czorny wrote:Please, for the love of god, make the Reason field NOT mandatory! It's extremely annoying to enter something in this field, when you do several updates in a row. For example, when you change description, then logos, then upload file, etc. This is a pretty common situation, I do this often to keep session active, while fixing errors, checking how description looks etc. Captcha is already quite enough to annoy yourself to death, when you need to do multiple updates.
+1
I just added a script to add generic text to it.
Yes definitely needs to not be mandatory!

Naughty Naughty - Your Adult Superstore

Post by straightlight » Sun Oct 18, 2015 10:29 pm

Please, for the love of god, make the Reason field NOT mandatory! It's extremely annoying to enter something in this field, when you do several updates in a row. For example, when you change description, then logos, then upload file, etc. This is a pretty common situation, I do this often to keep session active, while fixing errors, checking how description looks etc. Captcha is already quite enough to annoy yourself to death, when you need to do multiple updates.
I definitely agree on this point of view. this captcha stuff is already enough mandating contributors to fill. Instead, the OC team should rather consider to log the date and time of every time the form was saved and if they want how many times in day on the back-end for all we'd care. At least, it won't be on the front-end as a mandatory field.

Dedication and passion goes to those who are able to push and merge a project.

Regards,
Straightlight
Programmer / Opencart Tester

Legendary Member

Location - Canada, ON