Post by Qphoria » Wed May 12, 2010 2:06 am

As some of you may have noticed, I've made some improvements to the forum lately...

1. Removed the redirect page for new/edit posts.
It used to go:
New Post->Click Submit->Goto Success Redirect page->Show Post in thread
Now it goes:
New Post->Click Submit->Show Post in thread

That was bugging the crap out of me for the longest time. There is still room for improvement on some other redirect landing pages but this is a huge improvement in performance

2. External links are now loaded on new pages. Internal links should still be loaded in the main page (tho I've seen it do both. Maybe a minor quirk to work out)

3. Searching. PHPBB3 Support staff has admitted that the forum search is for "words only" making it extremely useless in most cases when searching for code examples or phrases. On the phpbb3 community site, they even use Google CSE. Based on their advice to use Google Custom Search Engine which searches for phrases and more but only within the site, I've added this to opencart's forums. This has improved searching indefinitely. The Google Search query is neatly placed on the existing forum search page. Just use that instead of the normal forum search and you will likely have much better results. You can choose to search only the opencart forums or search the entire opencart site making it easy to find mods and documentation.

4. PHP code button. Phpbb offers the optional use of php syntax highlighting with their code tag. So instead of using the generic [ code][ /code] tags. I've added a quick "PHP" button that automatically uses their

Code: Select all

[ /code] tags. 
Example without highlighting:
[code]
$i = 0;
if ($i == 1) {
    echo 'yay';
} else {
    echo 'nay';
}
Example with highlighting:

Code: Select all

$i = 0;
if ($i == 1) {
    echo 'yay';
} else {
    echo 'nay';
}

Administrator

Post by cmebd » Wed May 12, 2010 2:58 am

Brilliant!

The colourcoding will cut down some hours for some of us.....

A stupid question is the one you -don't- ask.........(Anon)

)C1.5.0.1 (IN devel)
OC V1.4.9.5
OC V1.4.9.2
OC V1.4.7
OC V1.3.4

Location - Tasmania, Australia