Post by Daniel » Fri Jun 19, 2015 3:22 pm

Already spoke to one 2 weeks ago

Gpl license does not mean you can change copyright notices

OpenCart®
Project Owner & Developer.

Administrator

Post by Daniel » Fri Jun 19, 2015 5:24 pm

ok there seems to be confusing over opencart source licenses and copyright!

GPL is the license for the end user to use.

copyright is owned by the person who creates the work.

only the copyright holder can decide the license. if another project uses the same files and puts his copyright notice this is illegal. because they don't have the rights to the work.

i will be asked by a web company from time to time if they can have a commercial license for a small fee so they can white label opencart as their own product.

OpenCart®

Administrator

Post by Daniel » Fri Jun 19, 2015 6:17 pm

yes correct.

also 95% of the files are exactly my code that no one else contributed to where some one else has just added a copyright notice.

OpenCart®

Administrator

Post by spemux » Fri Jun 19, 2015 6:32 pm

It might be mentioned or not but I will.

I am currently running 1.5.6.4 with 8k categories (due to printer and printer model database) and 10k products and it's heavily modded for speed performance)

Testing the 2.0.3.0 with absolutely no modifications (no cache mods etc)

2.0.3.0 runs like a rocket, I'm telling ya people. Let me repeat again, I do not have any single extension installed on 2.0.3.0 (except excelport import/export)

It's also shared hosting.

Thank you very much opencart O0

Location - Scandinavia

Post by JNeuhoff » Fri Jun 19, 2015 7:29 pm

That's why I usually put in something like this at the beginning of a source file when it's modified (e.g. for example the modified system/engine/action.php):

Code: Select all

/* ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------- */
/*  OpenCart Action (with support for the Override Engine)                            */
/*                                                                                    */
/*  Original file Copyright © 2012-2014 by Daniel Kerr (www.opencart.com)             */
/*  Modifications Copyright © 2014 by J.Neuhoff (www.mhccorp.com)                     */
/*                                                                                    */
/*  This file is part of OpenCart.                                                    */
/*  OpenCart is free software: you can redistribute it and/or modify                  */
/*  it under the terms of the GNU General Public License as published by              */
/*  the Free Software Foundation, either version 3 of the License, or                 */
/*  (at your option) any later version.                                               */
/*  OpenCart is distributed in the hope that it will be useful,                       */
/*  but WITHOUT ANY WARRANTY; without even the implied warranty of                    */
/*  MERCHANTABILITY or FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE.  See the                     */
/*  GNU General Public License for more details.                                      */
/*  You should have received a copy of the GNU General Public License                 */
/*  along with OpenCart.  If not, see <http://www.gnu.org/licenses/>.                 */
/* ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------- */
I think something similar should be done in Opencart forks. What I don't know whether this is an enforceable legal requirement or not.

Export/Import Tool * SpamBot Buster * Unused Images Manager * Instant Option Price Calculator * Number Option * Google Tag Manager * Survey Plus * OpenTwig

Guru Member

Post by Daniel » Fri Jun 19, 2015 10:57 pm

danniost wrote:Exactly Rune, if copyright is claimed then it must be kept. The problem of OpenCart is that it has never been claimed.

Daniel, writing code doesn't make you the copyright holder and GPL is not that simple as you think. You had to put your copyright notice in order to get credited:

http://www.gnu.org/licenses/gpl-faq.en.html#IWantCredit

Keep in mind that we're talking about an intangible Open Source program, don't rely on everything you read on web.
US

Until 1989, a published work had to contain a valid copyright notice to receive protection under the copyright laws. But this requirement is no longer in force — works first published after March 1, 1989 need not include a copyright notice to gain protection under the law. - See more at: http://fairuse.stanford.edu/overview/fa ... 3zauK.dpuf

UK
5. Anything without a copyright notice is not protected?
Copyright will apply whether there is a copyright notice or not.
In the US, a notice was required to retain copyright on works published before January 1st 1978, but this was the exception not the norm, and is certainly no longer the case. Also, once the US signed up to the Berne convention, US law was amended, and the use of copyright notices became optional on work published from March 1st 1989.
Having said this, it is still certainly worth placing a copyright notice on your work. A copyright notice reminds others that copyright exists, and may therefore help to deter infringement.

the evidence is on github including dates and time the code was added.

OpenCart®

Administrator

Post by iplocker » Mon Jun 22, 2015 6:53 pm

They are taking the whole Opencart, how about you take the Update with one click feature they have implement which is so needed??? ;D

Thanks

Post by Daniel » Tue Jun 23, 2015 3:49 pm

iplocker,

because there are many stores that are heavily modified that can not be updated so easily.

dont believe everything you read!!!

OpenCart®

Administrator

Post by Daniel » Tue Jun 23, 2015 4:39 pm

@danniost banned for lying about copyright law.

OpenCart®

Administrator

Post by iplocker » Tue Jun 23, 2015 7:58 pm

Daniel AutoUpdate is a future of all modern eshops cms...
A feature that you must consider to established in OC, I know there is thousands of eshops heavily modified but that hasnt to be an anchor for OC to evolve .
Joomla has MVC style so the modifications can be done in override layer of the core (I m sure you know that) .

I know its not easy as you need to check backwards compatibility etc. but its a must.

PS. Also a feature that lots of ppls asking at UserVoice site

Thanks
Theo

Post by JNeuhoff » Tue Jun 23, 2015 9:42 pm

Before even attempting on an upgrade system (which is important), OpenCart needs a better plugin system, its OCmod/VQmod is just a temporary solution. And its events feature (a simple plugin system using from what I can see a mediator design pattern) is still in its infancy. Implementing a core OpenCart upgrade system isn't hard to do, the problem will be with the multitude of poorly written extensions and web themes which don't abide by OpenCart standards. At the very least, there needs to be a simple one-click removal feature for OpenCart extensions, as well as a mechanism for checking what OpenCart versions an extension supports. For my own customer's OpenCart 2.0.x sites currently in development I decided to use my own newly implemented plugin installer/uninstaller/removal system in anticipation of future upgrades to be made easier.

Export/Import Tool * SpamBot Buster * Unused Images Manager * Instant Option Price Calculator * Number Option * Google Tag Manager * Survey Plus * OpenTwig

Guru Member

Post by qahar » Tue Jun 23, 2015 11:54 pm

JNeuhoff wrote:Before even attempting on an upgrade system (which is important), OpenCart needs a better plugin system, its OCmod/VQmod is just a temporary solution. And its events feature (a simple plugin system using from what I can see a mediator design pattern) is still in its infancy.
We need to start using, discuss best practice and push more post for Events to get matured.

Expert Member

Location - Indonesia

Post by i2Paq » Wed Jun 24, 2015 1:29 am

JNeuhoff wrote:Implementing a core OpenCart upgrade system isn't hard to do, the problem will be with the multitude of poorly written extensions and web themes which don't abide by OpenCart standards.
OC 2.x is the moment to start with that.

Not later, now!

Why; because all extensions have to be re-written to use with OC2.

Norman in 't Veldt
Moderator OpenCart Forums

_________________ READ and Search BEFORE POSTING _________________

Our FREE search: Find your answer FAST!.

[How to] BTW + Verzend + betaal setup.

Global Moderator

Location - Winkel - The Netherlands

Post by JNeuhoff » Wed Jun 24, 2015 2:34 am

qahar wrote:We need to start using, discuss best practice and push more post for Events to get matured.
I have written a modification (as a VQmod XML file) which adds event triggers all over the place, including important ones such as post.action.execute, pre.action.execute, pre.load.view and post.load.view, to name a few. And then tried to port a few of our OpenCart extensions which modify OpenCart core files to using these events. The result: There were still about 30% to 40% of cases which couldn't be ported to the event handlers, so my conclusion is Opencart events will never fully replace VQmod/OCmod (unlike our Override Engine with which I managed to deal with almost all extensions).

Guru Member

Post by i2Paq » Wed Jun 24, 2015 11:59 pm

I'm sceptic about OC2, that is obvious.

BUT: Today I have been testing 2.0.3.1 and I must say I'm a sort of impressed.

The main WAUW was: When editing and order and updating this order; the customer gets and e-mail confirming the update :)

All sorts of small things caught my eye which made me smile.

I also found a lot of small things that need work.
Mainly user experiences to make life easier.

Norman in 't Veldt

Global Moderator

Post by qahar » Thu Jun 25, 2015 12:51 am

i2Paq wrote:The main WAUW was: When editing and order and updating this order; the customer gets and e-mail confirming the update :)
That is why at opencartnews I'm pushing to claim that 2.0.3.1 is good base for site development from simple fact we can update order and mail is working. It might be biased but at certain point we need encouragement to use certain version as base work. Or maybe I just trying to comfort myself lol..

Expert Member

Location - Indonesia

Post by Daniel » Sat Jun 27, 2015 1:08 am

I have managed to fix the order editor using ajax. had to rebuild the whole thing.

I have updated the order info page as well. nearly finished that.

I think after we are going to do another pre release for developers. hopefully get rid of bugs that show up before releasing to the main download page.

after the next release is done going to start work on the following new features.

template editor
email editor
language editor
layout manager
seo keyword manager

there is nothing in the list that would make me spend more than a day creating.

OpenCart®

Administrator

Post by pm-netti » Sat Jun 27, 2015 3:32 pm

Daniel wrote:
after the next release is done going to start work on the following new features.

template editor
email editor
language editor
layout manager
seo keyword manager
Fine!

Location - Kittilä, Finland

Post by i2Paq » Sat Jun 27, 2015 7:54 pm

Daniel wrote:I have managed to fix the order editor using ajax. had to rebuild the whole thing.

I have updated the order info page as well. nearly finished that.

I think after we are going to do another pre release for developers. hopefully get rid of bugs that show up before releasing to the main download page.
Can't wait!

We should do a release and then at the same time ask JNeuhof and others to compare their "bugslist" with that release and fix everything first.

I've found some to but nots sure if they are bug's or unwanted behaviour's.

template editor
email editor
language editor
layout manager
seo keyword manager

there is nothing in the list that would make me spend more than a day creating.
Exiting!

Espc. the template manager.

Norman in 't Veldt

Global Moderator

Post by JNeuhoff » Sat Jun 27, 2015 11:54 pm

Just curious: What will the upcoming template manager do?

As regards bugfixes: The ones I submitted to github are already all fixed!

Guru Member