Post by atnaples » Tue Apr 21, 2015 10:25 pm

my favorite is PayPal Express logo... it's not saved in admin... Since 2.0.0.0... But it's fixed

Post by gilaraujo » Tue Apr 21, 2015 10:30 pm

atnaples wrote:my favorite is PayPal Express logo... it's not saved in admin... Since 2.0.0.0... But it's fixed
You have a fix for that?
If so can you share >:D

Post by atnaples » Tue Apr 21, 2015 11:43 pm

guys do not want fixes or have new features added... they will start loosing money on selling features...

Post by atnaples » Tue Apr 21, 2015 11:45 pm

gilaraujo wrote:
atnaples wrote:my favorite is PayPal Express logo... it's not saved in admin... Since 2.0.0.0... But it's fixed
You have a fix for that?
If so can you share >:D
i shared and i am going to share more... i would like to sell, but i was rejected... check pm...

Post by rph » Wed Apr 22, 2015 7:38 am

atnaples wrote:guys do not want fixes or have new features added... they will start loosing money on selling features...
Features are added regularly. Filters were added in 1.5.5 which took out a number of well-selling mods. reCAPTCHA just got added in 2.0.2.0 which removed the market for one of my commercial mods.

I'd bet most stores don't even use half of the features Opencart has out-of-the-box to begin with.

-Ryan

rph
Expert Member

Location - Lincoln, Nebraska

Post by i2Paq » Wed Apr 22, 2015 3:22 pm

rph wrote:
atnaples wrote:guys do not want fixes or have new features added... they will start loosing money on selling features...
Features are added regularly. Filters were added in 1.5.5 which took out a number of well-selling mods. reCAPTCHA just got added in 2.0.2.0 which removed the market for one of my commercial mods.

I'd bet most stores don't even use half of the features Opencart has out-of-the-box to begin with.
Just my point.

Time and speed waisted on useless features instead of a stable release.

Norman in 't Veldt
Moderator OpenCart Forums

_________________ READ and Search BEFORE POSTING _________________

Our FREE search: Find your answer FAST!.

[How to] BTW + Verzend + betaal setup.

Global Moderator

Location - Winkel - The Netherlands

Post by OSWorX » Wed Apr 22, 2015 3:43 pm

i2Paq wrote:
rph wrote:

Just my point.

Time and speed waisted on useless features instead of a stable release.
If the core would have included a useful and working event/hook-system, the focus could be targeted on a simple, but powerful and stable release.
Additonal features could be added therefore later at any time with one simple mouseclick.

Instead if blowing up the current releases, such featues could be added also as 'payable' extension(s).
If you look at the latest release (2.0.2.0) the focus on it was only to add payment gateways or to fix existing which nobody needs at least.

Full Stack Web Developer :: Dedicated OpenCart Development & Support DACH Region
Contact for Custom Work / Fast Support.

Guru Member

Location - Austria

Post by JNeuhoff » Wed Apr 22, 2015 4:54 pm

I have started my own selection of bugfixes for OpenCart 2.0.2.0, all written up as a VQmod XML file. As regards hooks/event triggers: I am currently testing a number of newly added events which are are missing in a standard OpenCart, such as 'pre.action', 'post.action', 'pre.load.view', 'post.load.view'. If anybody is interested I can publish it so others can add their own fixes to it. This is a way to quickly get a workable OpenCart 2.0.2.0.

Export/Import Tool * SpamBot Buster * Unused Images Manager * Instant Option Price Calculator * Number Option * Google Tag Manager * Survey Plus * OpenTwig

Guru Member

Post by OSWorX » Wed Apr 22, 2015 5:05 pm

JNeuhoff wrote:I am currently testing a number of newly added events which are are missing in a standard OpenCart, such as 'pre.action', 'post.action', 'pre.load.view', 'post.load.view'. If anybody is interested ..
Me, please, thx.

Full Stack Web Developer :: Dedicated OpenCart Development & Support DACH Region
Contact for Custom Work / Fast Support.

Guru Member

Location - Austria

Post by yodapt » Wed Apr 22, 2015 5:42 pm

JNeuhoff wrote:I have started my own selection of bugfixes for OpenCart 2.0.2.0, all written up as a VQmod XML file.
Wont that pose a problem to other mods?

Opencart Developer - My Extension Showcase
Contact me at aeon.yoda@gmail.com

Post by JNeuhoff » Wed Apr 22, 2015 6:46 pm

yodapt wrote:
JNeuhoff wrote:I have started my own selection of bugfixes for OpenCart 2.0.2.0, all written up as a VQmod XML file.
Wont that pose a problem to other mods?
No, this VQmod XML file with bugfixes simply results in an OpenCart 2.0.2.0 with major bugs fixed, but no new features nor new bugs added. While the github master branch may contain bugfixes for the next release, there may also lurk newly introduced bugs from newly added features or changes.

Guru Member

Post by yodapt » Wed Apr 22, 2015 8:38 pm

I'm not sure that answered the question, if I have a vQmod that changes one of the files yours works on to solve a bug, one of them will not be applied.

Opencart Developer - My Extension Showcase
Contact me at aeon.yoda@gmail.com

Post by gilaraujo » Wed Apr 22, 2015 9:02 pm

One can base ourselfs on said vqmods and apply patches directly on core files if we want, locally?

Basicly what we would need is a thread that says
IF you install 2.0.0 you need to change
This this this this
IF you install 2.0.1 you need to change
This this this this
If you install 2.0.2 you need to change.... and so on
A kinda community change log?

Post by rph » Thu Apr 23, 2015 3:16 am

JNeuhoff wrote:As regards hooks/event triggers: I am currently testing a number of newly added events which are are missing in a standard OpenCart, such as 'pre.action', 'post.action', 'pre.load.view', 'post.load.view'. If anybody is interested I can publish it so others can add their own fixes to it. This is a way to quickly get a workable OpenCart 2.0.2.0.
It would be a useful community resource. The problem I've found is you'll never have a useful system without major rearchitecting of OpenCart. I'd end up with half PHP, half ocMod since you can't deal with the template or library.

-Ryan

rph
Expert Member

Post by ADG » Thu Apr 23, 2015 4:29 pm

hi - I am having problems with version 2.0 . is it advisable to go to 2.0.2.0?

ADG

Post by rph » Thu Apr 23, 2015 11:34 pm

Only if you're capable of troubleshooting code yourself.

-Ryan

rph
Expert Member

Post by neufke » Sun Apr 26, 2015 2:37 am

CelBot wrote:Hello,

I just wanted to post a quick kudos to OpenCart 2. ;D (Specifically, I'm using 2.0.1.1) The site is:

Code: Select all

http://CelBot.com
As a user of OpenCart for a few years now (not a developer) I have lurked around the forums and there aren't a lot of posts from people just using OC. I read tons of negative posts from technical people arguing various code problems but for me it just works!
It is nice to hear that you are the first in the entire world that haven't had any problems with OC. It is not that we, the technical people want to be very critical about OC, the fact is (and yes, fact) that each and every release since 2.0.0.0 is filled with bugs. Verifiable reproducable bugs that prevent good administration of the (any) OC shop. Coders give comments we DO care about a product, in this case OC.

It took me, as a programmer, about a full week to get a fully working, bugfree, multistore OC 2.0.2.0, hours that i can't declare to my client who wanted the shops. This has nothing to do with paid extensions (which, in my humble opinion are very overrated, very over-priced and very very bad coded, a few of them excepted), this has everything to do with the core code of OC that is really really bad, full of bugs, lacking major features and last but not least has a coder that isn't very...erm, how do i put this nicely, haven't had any communication skills other than swearing and just being a jerk.

Lots of coders do a pull request (in plane terms: ask for a change in code) which is denied for no obvious reason then, well, no obvious reason...

I'm on 2.0.2.0 now, i have informed my client that we will not going to update their stores anymore. I am a Magento programmer myself and while there is lots to be said about Magento, it is well tested, well-documented and bugfree before a new version is released.....

I wish you the best with your shop!

Post by rph » Sun Apr 26, 2015 3:28 am

neufke wrote:It took me, as a programmer, about a full week to get a fully working, bugfree, multistore OC 2.0.2.0, hours that i can't declare to my client who wanted the shops. This has nothing to do with paid extensions (which, in my humble opinion are very overrated, very over-priced and very very bad coded, a few of them excepted), this has everything to do with the core code of OC that is really really bad, full of bugs, lacking major features and last but not least has a coder that isn't very...erm, how do i put this nicely, haven't had any communication skills other than swearing and just being a jerk.
OpenCart's code isn't bad per se. (Those that think it is have either had a blessedly easy or short carrier.) It just has an old architecture. There's nothing about it that couldn't be modernized if there was a real desire. But you can't make someone change that doesn't want to.
I am a Magento programmer myself and while there is lots to be said about Magento, it is well tested, well-documented and bugfree before a new version is released.....
I didn't think Magento had any official unit tests? OpenCart has some but the coverage is very incomplete and as far as I can tell they're never actually checked prior to a release.

-Ryan

rph
Expert Member

Post by neufke » Sun Apr 26, 2015 8:16 am

rph wrote:OpenCart's code isn't bad per se. (Those that think it is have either had a blessedly easy or short carrier.) It just has an old architecture. There's nothing about it that couldn't be modernized if there was a real desire. But you can't make someone change that doesn't want to.
I think this is exactly what is wrong. OC is being advertised as an open source alternative to the bigger and more expensive packages. Lets face it, OC could fill a nice gap, even when it came with an inexpensive license. The entire website and forum has the overall look and feel of an open source community happily huilding a nice package.

If you strip away everything that doesn't actually fit tue description then the homepage of OC would have 2 lins of text: Hi, i'm Daniel, i am building a shop for myself. If you want a copy just hit the downloadbutton, for support just **** yourself.

That would be a really good summarize of OC. No-one would expect anything and no-one wpuld have endless discussions about rights and wrongs... and they will last. They were here before me and they will still be here long after my last visit here...

Just my 2 cts though...

Post by virgotch » Mon Apr 27, 2015 7:42 pm

hi - I am having problems with version 2.0 . is it advisable to go to 2.0.2.0?
better go with 1.5.6.x version , because 2.x version is not reaedy for live shops we still use 1.5