Post by Qphoria » Tue Mar 16, 2010 9:33 pm

I'm not sure which mod is deleting the link, but the issue with separate files becomes a security mess and a support mess when something works differently in one package vs another. So I can understand why it would be deleted. Nobody is stopping you from having a stripped down store link on your own site, but to avoid confusion with support and versioning, it won't be allowed to be posted here.

Administrator

Post by Qphoria » Tue Mar 16, 2010 9:58 pm

I don't disagree with you. I've been saying the same thing all along. There should be an "official modules" area that has all the module for individual adding and only the core stuff should be in the core.

Maybe after I get my package installer done and add support for remote installs, it can use a similar method that SMF has with their package installs. All done with a few clicks in the admin section

Administrator

Post by i2Paq » Tue Mar 16, 2010 11:03 pm

I don't think that we should allow builders of a Fork advertice here on these forums.
What happens if others come here complain about this Fork and we have to give support on this unknown distribution?
If someone wants to build a Fork, go ahead, but do not advertice here on these forums!
Go and build your own forum and site, support your own Fork.

I will remove the posts because leaving them in this topic is asking the Devil to preach in church.

@ Audiomarket/Blogexecute: don't you start again with your misbehaving!

Norman in 't Veldt
Moderator OpenCart Forums

_________________ READ and Search BEFORE POSTING _________________

Our FREE search: Find your answer FAST!.

[How to] BTW + Verzend + betaal setup.

Global Moderator

Location - Winkel - The Netherlands

Post by audiomarket » Tue Mar 16, 2010 11:14 pm

You are usually! what was unusual in my post?
The truth?
I offended someone?

....in the basic package there anything different from the original files!

Post by i2Paq » Tue Mar 16, 2010 11:15 pm

audiomarket wrote:You are usually! what was unusual in my post?
The truth?
I offended someone?

....in the basic package there anything different from the original files!
I don't care!
It is not an official release by Daniel/OpenCart; end of story.

Norman in 't Veldt

Global Moderator

Post by okstated » Tue Mar 16, 2010 11:16 pm

From a newcomer's perspective Daniel appears to be a very talented developer.

Regardless of how talented any developer is, however, a project with only one major developer is likely to fail for lack of broader development support and the high likelihood the principle developer will burn out. This is very concerning. Daniel appears to be keeping this project much "too close to the vest" which undermines the very idea of open source software.

Two possible solutions are that this project must become truly open source with a more robust and organized team of developers with "buy-in" incentive who can contribute to the project on a more equal footing without having to be micromanaged by someone who is over-protective of the codebase.

OR

The project needs to go ahead and be made commercial and Daniel should hire full time development staff to help support it.

Either way needs to have longer, more thorough development cycles that are reliable and build confidence in the consumer base. Unlike what we've seen recently.

Without this, Open Cart might as well be called "Daniel's playground, you are at his mercy if you dare to enter".

I hope this feedback is somewhat helpful, though I realize it's unsolicited. ;D

Post by peteVA » Wed Mar 17, 2010 12:46 am

okstated wrote: Without this, Open Cart might as well be called "Daniel's playground, you are at his mercy if you dare to enter".
Been saying that for weeks. He's even admitted he needs help, but the end result is "nothing's changed."

Several seemingly well qualified volunteers, just nothing is being done.

A Trusted Wholesale Dropshipper
Web Hosting Under $ 5.00 Month! FREE Shopping Carts!
25,000+ Real Wholesale & Dropship Sources!

Post by i2Paq » Wed Mar 17, 2010 2:11 am

peteVA wrote:
okstated wrote: Without this, Open Cart might as well be called "Daniel's playground, you are at his mercy if you dare to enter".
Been saying that for weeks. He's even admitted he needs help, but the end result is "nothing's changed."

Several seemingly well qualified volunteers, just nothing is being done.
Maybe you should read better.
Daniel wrote:many people have made forks and nothings become of their projects.

This project is getting to a stage where I can not do everything myself and I have a plan to get some help but it these things take time.
at the moment the plan is togeth the latest version rock solid stable.
So that is why "nothing"has happend" in the last 2 days! regarding asking for help, these things take time.

And that is why there is a release every 2 days! because the plan is to get the current 1.4.x range as steady as can be.

I find it rather annoying that you try to express your frustration about how this cart is been run and everything else you feel like arguing against in every topic.

We all agree that changes need to be made, Daniel is aware of that otherwise he would not have said what he has said.
I to get frustrated every now and then but Daniel alone can make these changes happen, if not, then you or anyone else who cannot live with the situation has to decide to say or go elswhere.

Now it is up to Daniel and repeating it over and over again will not get these changes here any sooner.

Norman in 't Veldt

Global Moderator

Post by rednet » Wed Mar 17, 2010 2:51 am

By the way...
You can upgrade CKEditor to the last version 3.0.1 to 3.2

Post by Qphoria » Wed Mar 17, 2010 2:59 am

Generally coders do not make good project managers. No one doubts Daniel's coding skill.. if only it could be tamed

Administrator

Post by Nageen » Wed Mar 17, 2010 3:13 am

Daniel wrote:just noticed i left v1.4.3 on the admin footer. just changed it and reuploaded.
Dear my problem still there, when i check out using 2checkout, my currency could not changed, mean 1000USD=1000POUND

How can i solve this in 1.4.4

Post by byteloser » Wed Mar 17, 2010 3:29 am

Qphoria wrote:Generally coders do not make good project managers. No one doubts Daniel's coding skill.. if only it could be tamed
Don't completeley agree with this one but also don't disagree either.

This project seems to get to big to get handled by one person alone. There are still so many features missing and everyone is asking for more and different features. As long as Daniel doesn't use the cart himself it is difficult for him to judge which features are more important then others. I personally think the multi store feature is good, but isn't what I thought it will be. However, I don't care about that one because I am not using it.

If this would be my project I would do it this way:

1. The core functions have to stay in Daniels hand and a group of reliable core developers, otherwise the project will end up in a mess.

2. I would shift features and functionallity from the core system to modules and extensions. This part, I think has still some potential to get better. Look at projects like Joomla or DotNetNuke and how easy it is to extend those applications by using modules or extensions. I wouldn't even care to buy some of the modules if they are reliable and maybe certified by the opencart team. This way Daniel could make some money for all the work he puts into this project.

3. Documentation is also a bit unsatisifing, but I understand why. Daniel is busy with coding and no developer likes to write manuals or documentation. Maybe he can get help from the community by creating a section on the site where people can write "how to ..." articles. This would help people to understand the system and the way it can be extended or changed, which would then result in more available modules and/or templates.

I have to say, opencart is a great product. It is so easy to use compared to other systems. The coding I have seen so far is pretty good. It has all the potential to become one of the most used shopping cart systems. However, it has also the potential to fail because of the lack of community support and the amount of work which has still to be done.

Cheers!
Byteloser

Post by jquiroz86 » Wed Mar 17, 2010 7:08 am

First of all, I want to express my thanks to Daniel for his excellent work and contribution to the opensource community. I think I could speak for all users in México, who has followed the development since version 0.7

I could not agree more with byteloser, I think we need to grow this great project, which Daniel has invested much effort and time.

I think we can work together.
Greetings!
Jesus Quiroz

jquiroz@iktea.mx
http://www.iktea.mx
http://www.industrialcanina.com.mx

Post by mOrAtHa » Wed Mar 17, 2010 7:50 am

Anyone has had a problem when switching between templates in 1.4.4? It stays stuck on default for me... :o

Post by MWYS » Wed Mar 17, 2010 5:48 pm

I think the next major version release should undo alot of mistakes. Remove features that are only valuable to a small percentage of the community (i.e, Multi Store), and instead make them modules you can choose to install.

Strip it down to the core, a stable core - and implement some form of plugin system that would allow users to easily drop in new code without touching the core, something like Wordpress does.

For example Codeigniter, you have the 'system' and the 'applicaiton', the system is never touched by the user, and when it comes to upgrading you can literally overwrite the system folder and not even have to think twice about it affecting anything in your application.

At the moment you are having to change the core all the time and when you have an upgrade you are expected to just overwrite the files thus almost guarentee'ing to break the store if you have done any form of custom work. There needs to be some separation.

Post by Daniel » Wed Mar 17, 2010 7:23 pm

Guys do you think I should change the next version so you can set multi-shop settings from the settigns page?

Attachments

admin.png

admin.png (113.64 KiB) Viewed 6280 times

OpenCart®
Project Owner & Developer.

Administrator

Post by ekerazha » Wed Mar 17, 2010 7:41 pm

Are invoices fixed?

Location - Italy

Post by wormytux » Wed Mar 17, 2010 7:43 pm

testing this new release... thanks Daniel...

Post by jareds87 » Wed Mar 17, 2010 7:56 pm

If I upgrade to this version and then add all my products and stuff (just starting my store), what will happen if I need to upgrade to the next version, e.g. 1.4.5 onwards?

Will I loose my data (products, prices, images, etc) ?

Thanks

Post by navex » Wed Mar 17, 2010 8:02 pm

Thanks Daniel!
Great cart architecture!