Post by oddsideales » Fri Feb 08, 2019 9:14 pm

Here is my issue. I use Plesk and installed Opencart in the httpsdocs (root) directory. I have secured the VPS server domain with SSL (and all other domains I host). However to get to my store, I type in https://myIPaddress/opencart. This works but it shows the site as not being secure? I am not sure what to do here?
Can I install opencart within the domain directory whose online store it belongs too?

Post by OSWorX » Fri Feb 08, 2019 9:31 pm

What kind of SSL-Cerrtificate are you using?
Hopefully not that useless stuff of Let's Encrypt.
Because this maybe a (valid) SSL-Certificate for personal websites, but for sure not for Webshops!

And the Certificate is valid for the domain, not the IP.
And with Plesk it is very easy to secure, just check the correct checkbox in Plesk for this Doamin - something called like:
Use SSL

And right below is another setting forPermanent SEO-Redirect: that should also be checked.
And below select the correct Certificate.

With that everything should work (as it does on my own servers).

p.s.: I use httpdocs and it works also perfectly.

Forum Rules [en]: viewtopic.php?f=176&t=200480
Forumregeln [de]: viewtopic.php?f=37&t=114208
Commercial Request: viewforum.php?f=88

Expert Member

Location - Austria

Post by oddsideales » Fri Feb 08, 2019 9:45 pm

Busted. Yes I used Let's Encrypt. Any recommendations on who to use? I do have those two option checked that you mentioned.

Post by OSWorX » Fri Feb 08, 2019 10:10 pm

oddsideales wrote:
Fri Feb 08, 2019 9:45 pm
Busted. Yes I used Let's Encrypt. Any recommendations on who to use? I do have those two option checked that you mentioned.
Let's Encrypt is a free certificate, and - as written - maybe good for personal websites.
But for a Webshop it says nothing - and does not confirm ! - that the certificate is issued for this domain or siteowner.
And that's the reason why it should be not used if you want to show that the shop is trustworthy.

A good and valid SSL-Certificate starts per Year at approx. 14,- Euro, 26,- for 2 years (that's the maximum since a few months, before it was 3 years).
Multidomain Certs are a bit more expensive, around 40,- Euro per year (3 Domains) - e.g. for securing also your mail (if you use the domain mail services (php or SMTP).
Wildcard SSL start approx. at 90,- Euro per year.

EV (Extended Validation) are for registred comnpanies only, verification is made personally. Such start at 160,- per years.
And have the green bar.

From which company?
Does no matter - up to your choice.

All of them guarentee at least for 10.000,- U$, others for 50.000,- or 100.000,- U$, EV up to 1,500.000,- U$
All are accepted by all browsers, use Certificate Transparency and SHA-256 w. Keylength 4096 Bit

Forum Rules [en]: viewtopic.php?f=176&t=200480