Post by mauprik » Wed Jun 20, 2018 8:14 pm

Hello,

I'm looking for a module for setting the possible shipment methods per product. And when checking out it rules out shipping methods, which can't be used.
For example: I buy 1 product, which can be send with letter post. At checkout I can therefore choose for letter post (available in the geozone). When I buy 2 product, which each can be send by letter post, but together must be send by parcel post, this option must be available in checkout (in the Geozone). When I buy a product, which can't be send by letter post, this option must not be available in checkout.
The shipment costs must be determent by the total weight of the shipment, for the chosen shipment method in that Geozone.

Is there a module which can implement this?

The reason I am looking for such a method is that customars often choose the wrong shipment method in the hope to save money. They have to be corrected afterwards. It would be nice when I can exclude some impossible choices in advance by the system.

Greetings, Rik.

Location - The Hague, Netherlands

Post by IP_CAM » Thu Jun 21, 2018 2:32 am

My Github OC Site: https://github.com/IP-CAM
5'200 + FREE OC Extensions, on the World's largest private Github OC Repository Archive Site.

Legendary Member

Location - Switzerland

Post by Johnathan » Thu Jun 21, 2018 9:51 pm

Category & Product-Based Shipping can do this. It lets you set rates based on weight, total, quantity, and lots of other factors. You can also set different rates per-product if you want, and combine those into a single shipping cost for the customer.

If you need to find a developer, you should post a request in the OpenCart "Commercial Support" forum, which is checked by a number of OpenCart developers. You can also try checking out the OpenCart "Partners" area.

Image Image Image Image Image

Administrator

Post by mauprik » Fri Jun 22, 2018 2:39 am

@IP_CAM and @Johnathan thanks for yourr suggestions, I've checked them out, but they are not really what I want. So I clarify what I want as follows.

I'm a bit further. I've made Geo zone's for letter post and parcel post in The Netherlands, Euro zone 1 and 2 and the world. In the shipment module I've put the weight's and costs in each Geo Zone.
In this way the customer, when checking out, has to choose the right shipment method for the Geo zone of his country. So far, so good...
Now I'm looking for a solution where I can set the possible shipment methods for each product. So, logically, in the product data tab I want to rule out i.e. letter post when the product is too large and only can be send by parcel post. In this way I can prevent that the customer chooses the wrong shipment method and I have to make contact to correct the order. That saves a lot of mails from both sides after placing the order.
I've searched the extension market for this option, but haven't found it yet. Most extensions are about the shipment methods and their different configurations, but none have the link to the product to rule out specific shipment methods.
In Logivert 5 it was part of the basic product options, in Logivert 6 it was, to my disappointment, gone. For that reason I've stalled the upgrade from Logivert 5 to Logivert 6 as long as possible. Now I hope to find it in OpenCart, so if you know a way to implement this, please let me know.

Greetz, Rik.

Location - The Hague, Netherlands

Post by Johnathan » Fri Jun 22, 2018 3:26 am

Modifying the product area like you're suggesting requires customizing core files of OpenCart, which is generally a bad idea if you can avoid it (since it can cause conflicts with other mods or OpenCart upgrades). You can certainly use Category & Product-Based Shipping to do what you're looking for, but you'd need to set up the product shipping rates in that extension, and then determine which ones are available based on the products in the cart. I can show you how to do that if you want to contact me at www.getclearthinking.com/contact.

If you don't want to recreate your rates in that extension, then you could instead use Restrict Shipping Methods to limit the rates you've already set up. That still uses its own rules system and will not modify the product editing page, but it will let you do what you're describing.

However, if you REALLY want something that modifies the Catalog > Products > Edit area, then you're going to need to find a customization that does exactly that. I'm not sure if that exists, but you can check the opencart.com marketplace. If you can't find anything in there, you'll probably need to hire someone to write a custom mod for you. If you need to find a developer, you should post a request in the OpenCart "Commercial Support" forum, which is checked by a number of OpenCart developers. You can also try checking out the OpenCart "Partners" area.

Image Image Image Image Image

Administrator