Post by huntleybill » Fri Jan 12, 2018 11:06 am

I would like to setup my site to have 2 colums. On the left column, I would like to have a block titled :information:. Within that block, I would like to put links of "about Us, "shipping", "privacy" etc. I have created those pages already and I have found the information module (if that is what I am supposed to use). I cannot get the information to list on the left side. I was able to figure out how to remove it from the footer but I have spend hours trying to get it on the left column. I'm lost Please help.
Thank you for your time.
Bill
Last edited by huntleybill on Thu Jan 18, 2018 10:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post by Johnathan » Sat Jan 13, 2018 1:06 am

Modules are added to pages using the Layout system. You add modules to particular layouts in Design > Layouts. You find the one that is controlling the page you want (e.g. Category layout for category pages) and then add the module like this:

1. Choose the module in the dropdown list for the Column Left position

2. Click the blue + button to add the module

3. Click "Save" to save the modules to the layout

That module will then appear in the Column Left position for that Layout. If you want it to appear on other pages, you'll need to add the module to that Layout as well.

Image Image Image Image Image

Administrator

Post by huntleybill » Sat Jan 13, 2018 9:02 am

Thank you for the info:
I got it to work by going to:
Admin --> design
Layouts--> and under layouts name, I chose edit "Home".
Then in "home" I added "information" to the left column and that worked.
What I was doing was going to "information" and adding "information" to the left column. That didn't work! I guess I just need a better understanding of how the layout stuff works.

Post by Johnathan » Sun Jan 14, 2018 12:48 am

Layouts only apply to the routes that they are set for. The "Information" layout is set for the route "information/information", which means any pages that have that route will have the associated modules show up. That's usually just information pages.

Similarly, the "Home" layout is for the homepage ("common/home" route, or no route). You can look through all your layouts and the associated routes, and that should give you an idea of the pages it controls. If you are visiting the front-end of your store and want to apply a module to a particular page, look at the route in the URL bar, and that should tell you which layout controls it.

Image Image Image Image Image

Administrator